Terralux MiniMag clickie fits (or adaptable to) LED version?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want a clickie for my LED MiniMag, but it appears from pictures that it is designed for the incan MiniMag. Here is why I am concerned. I wanted to hang my MM LED from my tent ceiling. It makes an awesome tent light with the head removed, hanging from a lanyard, but without a clickie, it is a pain to turn on and off since you have to completely remove and replace the entire head to turn it on and off. However, in going LED, Mag did away with the lanyard hole on the new tailcap. So I wanted to use a tailcap from an incan MM, but it turns out you have to swap the longer spring from the LED cap into the incan cap. This is when I noticed another difference between tailcaps. My old incan cap with new longer spring worked only in my silver LED MM's, but not my black ones. Turns out the LED cap makes it's contact to the new, redesigned bodies not through the threads, but a set of wiper contacts on the side of it which swipe the ID of a machined surface in the body barrel as you screw it in. My old incan cap, with no wiper contacts, did not work in the black LED MiniMags because the anodization on the threads prevented electrical contact. Apparently, the silver LED MM threads are not anodized (or are cut after anodizing), since all my silver LED MM bodies make suitable contact with the threads of the incan tailcap.

So, the Terralux clickie tailcap has the lanyard I need to hang the light, and also the advantage of the clickie, but has anybody confirmed successfully that the new, longer LED MM tailcap spring will fit into the Terralux clickie, or that the Terralux spring is even removable?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're talking about the TCS-1 tailcap switch (push on, push off, no click), I've used it on a couple of MiniMag 2AA and 3AA LED lights just by stretching the spring. The solution isn't terribly robust and probably would cause some flickering if the light was banged or dropped, but it works ok in normal use.

c_c

myk

Enlightened
I use mine on it. I just commissioned Rain Main Ind to make me some spacers exactly the right size, it will be the diameter of a AA battery but 1/4" long - this will fix our problem completely. i'll let everyone know how they work once I get the ones i ordered

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious_character said:
If you're talking about the TCS-1 tailcap switch (push on, push off, no click), I've used it on a couple of MiniMag 2AA and 3AA LED lights just by stretching the spring. The solution isn't terribly robust and probably would cause some flickering if the light was banged or dropped, but it works ok in normal use.

c_c

+1

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Now, please report if you used this on your silver or black MiniMag. My old MiniMag incan tailcap (w/ longer spring) would work on my silver LED MM, but not my black ones due to the black anodizing on the threads. Thanks again.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using it successfully on black ones. The normal tailcap makes contact via some un-anodized threads which are beyond the area where the replacement switch screws. But the anodizing in the anodized region is thin enough that the switch screw threads don't have any trouble making contact. So either my lights have particularly thin anodizing or yours is extra heavy.

c_c

fluke

Enlightened
I use it on my Black minimag but had to clean the anodizing from the threads and stretch the spring but I have found its still unreliable.
So I have gone back to original twisty:mecry:

e2x2e

Enlightened
I bought a Nite-Ize tailclickie thinking it would work with my MagLED, but it doesn't. Any ideas as to how to adapt it so it will work?

Latest posts