L4 or L5?

Dustin Liu

Banned
I currently have a L4 backordered from surefire. I saw the shot show video on youtube that says that the new L5 will be 120 lumens for 4 hours. The L4 has 100 lumens at 2.5 hours and also does not seem like it is going to upgraded. I am wondering if I should cancel my L4 order and switch to the L5. What are the pros and cons?

Also is the reason why that all the LED flashlights are backordered at surefire due to the LED upgrades?

thanks

:huh2::huh2::huh2:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good debate between L4 and L5. In order to best answer your question, we need to know what your uses will be for the light(ex. do you need massive flood/throw?). If you could give us a rundown of what you are gonna use it for, we can answer your question more accurately.

Lit_Up

Newly Enlightened
Dustin Liu said:
I currently have a L4 backordered from surefire. I saw the shot show video on youtube that says that the new L5 will be 120 lumens for 4 hours. The L4 has 100 lumens at 2.5 hours and also does not seem like it is going to upgraded. I am wondering if I should cancel my L4 order and switch to the L5. What are the pros and cons?

Also is the reason why that all the LED flashlights are backordered at surefire due to the LED upgrades?

thanks

:huh2::huh2::huh2:

Do you have a link to the YouTube L5 demo ?? Couldnt find it doing a search on Y-Tube..

regards

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
BatteryJunction.com has L4's in stock, free shipping and free batteries.

I can't go into why SF is backordered but you can get a better deal from a dealer with stock.

For the L5 I cannot remember if we have stock and am working from home today...'new' L5's aren't shipping yet.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L4 and can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt it is the best flood that I own by far. Here are some of the pluses as I see them.

1)Great flood regulated output.

2)Versatile E series body compatability. Can work with 2 cells or 1 with e1e
body.

3)Works well with rechargeable batteries.

4)Compact size makes it easy to carry.

5)When used with E2D tailcap it makes a wonderful candlelight that can easily
illuminate most rooms with wonderful diffused light.

As I see it the only real improvement to this light would be to add a Cree LED. I certainly hope that Surefire does this at some point. I my opinion this is the first light that should have received a Cree.

:grin2:

Paul

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire run times are not to %50 of initial brightness, and they don't say they are. I would like to see a runtime chart from Chrevrofreak before I get too excited about 120 lumens for 4 hours. I'm sure it starts off at 120 lumens, but how long does it stay at 120 lumens?

Danbo

Enlightened
I have both lights and I'll throw in my comments here. The L4 is one of my favorite lights, but you only get the super high brightness for the first hour. After that, it drops down considerably to half or so. Still, I love the light and carry it often.

The L5 is another animal, IMHO. It's a bigger light; one that I find more difficult to clip to my jeans pocket. I consider the L5 more of an inside jacket pocket carry light. It's my current favorite light, period. Runtime seems to be considerably longer than my L4 too. My L5 has a good bit more throw, while still having lots of flood.

IMO, you really need both. ;) :)

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
Lit_Up said:
Do you have a link to the YouTube L5 demo ?? Couldnt find it doing a search on Y-Tube..

regards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75g07KXYsuI&mode=related&search
grinser2.gif