humble LED winkie lights save the day!

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure real flashlight fans will be non-plussed with my old gear, and cheapie LED winkie lights, most from the early 1990's, but I do bike in long subarctic nights (22hours long!) on studded tyres in extreme conditions, like ice fog and -40C.

While I plan my route to minimize traffic exposure, avoiding arterial roads, I do burn a total of 8 lights on my bike in the winter. In the summer we have midnight sun, so day-glow clothes and a front and a rear winkie light does it from June to mid-August.

In winter I run a 12/32W 12V Nicad helmet-light, a white/amber front 5 LED 2xAA Vista winkie light, and a pair of amber 2AAA winkies on my mittens as turn-signal lights. This year I added 2 2xAAA red winkies, one on each saddle bag to give a better definition of my width from behind, much like the running lights on rigid touring motorcycle panniers do.

I also replaced a long-serving red Vista 5 LED winkie, which had lost an LED, with a 10LED Cat-Eye TL-LD1000. I run this with an older 2XAA red Vista running on 'steady on' as a range marker light. I also have 2 red LED winkies running on AAA's facing the rear on my helmet.

Sounds like too much, right?

Well, at 0800, two hours before sunrise, in total darkness, a disorganized driver came up behind me in the dark with no lights on at all, and an iced-over windshield,(!!) and saw me--even through an iced-over windsheild!---and passed me wide, swung back in, and slammed into the car parked on the street 20M in front of me, bounced off, and drove off. A 'hit and run'. Luckily no injuries as both I and a dog-walking person were on the street at the time. I called the Mounted Police who had a lengthy, very costly chat with him...but the bottom line is that LED winkie lights, lots of them, and the brightest that you can get, work!

And they're 'cheap like borscht'!

So, as I have always said, reflective tape is not enough, you have to have lights!

Here's to enlightenment!

PS: Some sources for position-marking winkie lights

an excellent tail-light!
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/280

on my mittens I use something like this but in orange from On Guard:
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/319

the humble but essential red mini-winkie in 2XAAA!

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1169968438117

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story and all hail the red LED winkie lights!
I use the same Cateye LD1000 10 red LED light on my recumbent bike rack and it works very well. Feed it two AA lithium batteries to keep it bright and handle cold winter weather. I also use an auto-leveling 3 red LED single AAA Planet Bike flasher running a single AAA lithium that I mount to my helmet. The combination works well along with my bright yellow rack bag and reflective tape on portions of my frame.
83% of cyclists that get hit by cars get hit from behind. The LED winkie lights are cheap, reliable and run forever on AAA/AA batteries so why not use them?
I wonder if I could mod a Fenix L1D CE with a red Cree LED and use it on low for a red strobe or low/medium for a constant on red light?
Great story and glad to hear your winkies saved your butt from an idiot in a car. Makes me want to give my winkies a hug next time I ride.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That is a great post. I am glad the lights did their job and kept you safe.
While I generally stay on trails or fire roads I think I will add some just to be safe for those short sections I may need to be near vehicles. They could also serve another function if I have a mishap and end up off a trail injured and have to wait for assistance. They can just keep blinking away until I get help.
They are required in 24 hour endurance races but I had not thought about the potential benefits when riding solo until this post of yours.
Thank you very much. :thumbsup:

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good story and glad to hear you are OK. But you are nuts riding in that cold of weather! Props to you :goodjob:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Man, and I complain about PNW winters... :green:

Aurore-, check out the new Planet Bike Superflash blinkie. It has a 0.5W LED and is stupidly bright!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
Man, and I complain about PNW winters... :green:

Aurore-, check out the new Planet Bike Superflash blinkie. It has a 0.5W LED and is stupidly bright!

Thanks for the tip, greenLED since I need to order some more flashers for the family bikes. Figure the Superflash would be good strobing and one row of the LD1000 LEDs could stay solid. Although the Superflash takes two AAA cells (I use those lithium AAA's) I can conserve by letting the LD1000 do the on all the time duties since it uses AA cells.

Is the Superflash bright enough to be obvious during the day?

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
I admire your enthusiam for the 'cheap'n'cheerful', but I think when you see the Crees in the maglite, you may think about changing your investment strategy. They're not very expensive and they're sooooo good.

w

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
wakibaki said:
I admire your enthusiam for the 'cheap'n'cheerful', but I think when you see the Crees in the maglite, you may think about changing your investment strategy. They're not very expensive and they're sooooo good.

w

I think I will stick with LED winkie's for my red blinking lights and Cree's & Luxeons for headlights. The idea of the winkies is to make a rider visible, not blind drivers with brilliant red Cree lights :D . Plus the LED winkies will run for a very long time.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

greenLED

Flashaholic
BentHeadTX said:
Is the Superflash bright enough to be obvious during the day?
VWTim caught up with me at an intersection the other morning (bright, clear, sunny morning), and said he could see my Superflash blinkie from over a block away as he approached my location.

Latest posts