Best Flashlight That Will Last...

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're going to have alot here who would recommend that light, but I don't think you'll see 155 hours per set of batteries.

drizzle

Enlightened
That's a good light that is recommended often here. It's a little hard to say if it's right for you depending on your needs and wants. It is relatively inexpensive for the light output and quality. It gives a lot of light and a lot of throw. If you want a more general purpose light you might want one with a wider beam. Also it is bigger than most of the lights discussed on this forum. I don't know if that's important to you but it is not really suited for EDC (Every Day Carry).

For a great introduction to the world of good lights I recommend you spend some quality time at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/.

Added: By the way, I own the Propoly Lux and I *do* recommend it.

Last edited:
This Streamlight Luxeon 4AA is a very good choice. The LED regulation on this light is flat, long, and very reliable. The beam is pure white. However, one thing to consider is that its beam is also very tight with an intense hotspot and not enough sidespill.

I went hiking with this light and found that I did not like the tight beam. However, for firefighters and similar purposes, this flashlight will be great. Also please note that this light is a bit awkward shaped - I am more used to the 2-Lithium SF type of bodies, small and easy to grip.

I have recently acquired a Pelican 2390. It's not as bright as the SL Luxeon 4AA, but for hiking purposes, its brighter overall output (vs. throw) is desireable. I personally would get the 3C Luxeon over the 4AA. I understand from the reviews that it is brighter and has even longer runtime than the 4AA.

Hope this helps.:rock:

Newuser01

Enlightened
The link you provided (Op's) is the version for 7 led. But the picture of the bezel on the web site is showing either lux or incan version.
That said:
I have both [Streamlight Pro Polymer Luxeon 4AA and 7 LED versions] and carry both in my tool bag. Both of them gets about equal use out of them. I use Nimh rechargeables.

Thou they have different beam patterns, they both are great to work with.

I work in HVAC industry. When working in a enclosed area with no lights, (Attic, Closets, Crawl spaces...Etc). Lux is great thrower and most of the members here love this light. And 7 LED Version a bit less. It's GREAT to light up the 7 LED and point the light toward where you are working and have it for 8 hours without warrying about them.
Mostly I use lux version for pointing things out, looking for things, which require longer throw.
I would not sell or replace neither lights as they have served me well.

I have other lights but these 2 gets the most use and love it.

The 7 LED version will run a long long time. I don't have any run times but on a set of batteries (nimh) it had lasted more than 3 work days and started to dim a little. I usually recharge them and install new set of freshly charged batteries. If you are looking for reasonably long run time and bright light, you won't go wrong with 7 LED Streamlight Pro Polymer 4AA.

Regards.
Newbie.

Nickerz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great feedback! I won the bid on ebay! However, the description on ebay says it will run for only 4 hours of continuous light. Here are the specs...

Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer® Flashlight
The Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer® is powerful, convenient push button, waterproof, alkaline battery-powered flashlight with a high-intensity xenon bulb that provides 11,000 peak beam candlepower.

Industrial / Firefighter Strength
Approved for use in Hazardous Locations
Waterproof
Battery: (4) AA alkaline - included!
Bulb: Powerful Xenon gas-filled bi-pin (VERY BRIGHT LIGHT )
34 Lumens
Candlepower: Up to 11,000 peak beam
Run Time: Up to 4 hours of continuous use
Material: Shock resistant, engineering grade polymer case; Unbreakable polycarbonate lens.
Color: Yellow
Dimensions: 1.69" (D) x 6.5" (L)
Special Features: Class I, Division 1, Non-conductive and corrosion proof
Wrist lanyard

So I take it that this is a different light than the link I posted above? Since that one claims to have a continuous light of 155 hours!

Thanks again!

robm

Enlightened
So I take it that this is a different light than the link I posted above? Since that one claims to have a continuous light of 155 hours!

The link you posted (http://streamlight-flashlights.com/...flashlight.html) is for the Streamlight 4AA Propolymer LED Flashlight.

The one you have just won is the
Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer .... with a high-intensity xenon bulb

So yes they are different lights (or at least have different bulbs)

Rob

Brody

Newly Enlightened
The propolymer 4AA incandescent is a different light. I have all 3 versions of the 3c propolymer series by streamlight, and the incandescent is my least favorite of the group. The incandescent version does run considerably less time per set of batteries, and has a ringy beam that is not as smooth as either the led or luxeon version. The led version beam is a smooth wide beam that lasts a long time on a set of batteries. The luxeon version has a narrow spot with a good spill beam. The incandescent can throw slightly further than the luxeon, but the beam is not as smooth, and the batteries dont last nearly as long. If I had to choose just one, I would go for the luxeon version.

drizzle

Enlightened
Oops, my bad above for assuming it was the Lux. Like Brody, I also have all three versions but in 4AA. I have to agree that the incandescent is my least favorite and is almost never used.

So, back to advice for the OP. Yes, this is a good all around light that will last a long time. I definitely recommend it for general use. There are a lot of others with multiple LEDs and maybe some of them are better. I haven't tried them and don't know. Maybe someone else here can let you know if there are others to consider.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also highly recommend the SL Propoly Lux 4AA. Having said that, be very careful when bidding on the Ebay Propoly lights. I've found the descriptions are very misleading on this light. The xenon are very common but photos and info can easily lead one to believe they are bidding on an Led light. YMMV

I just sold a SL Propoly 4AA Luxeon on ebay today. The buyer is getting a great deal. I originally bought this light from Chief Supply for Christmas but after using it once hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains at night, realized its hotspot was too intense and it is much better suited for firefighters and rescue personnel.

This thing is great for cutting through fog and smoke but is a little too bright for hiking a dark, narrow trail at night.

I recently acquired the Pelican 2390-LED and recommend this light for hiking. Its beam is not as bright as the SL 4AA Luxeon and has a slight purple tint in comparison. However, it has much brighter sidespill which is great for seeing far and also seeing the ground directly in front of you.

My personal opinion is that regulated LED is the best thing since sliced bread. You are getting the same brightness after one hour of constant use (as you're making your way out of the woods) as when you first began using the light at the start of the hike. What could be better than that? Well, for a lot less money than Surefires, the SL Propoly 4AA Luxeon and the Pelican 2390 gives a great regulated LED, does the same thing as a $165.00 SF L4.

I hope this helps.

Nickerz

Newly Enlightened
Ah man...so I got the one that doesn't have long battery life. Looks like I'll repost on ebay and to sell it then. I really want one that has good battery life as I already have two Luxeon flashlights. 1.) NiteStar 5-Watt (by Nuwai) and 2.) 1-Watt (by SharperImage)

Anyone want to buy mine? When I receive it, it will be brand new and I won't take it out of its packaging.

Thanks!

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
search_and_rescue said:
I just sold a SL Propoly 4AA Luxeon on...after using it once hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains at night, realized its hotspot was too intense and it is much better suited for firefighters and rescue personnel...This thing is great for cutting through fog and smoke but is a little too bright for hiking a dark, narrow trail at night.

There are lots of CPF regulars who recommend this light for hiking, but I agree with you. It's a great light for spotting, but barely usable for wilderness hiking.

The hotspot is way too bright compared to the spillbeam, greatly limiting the usefulness of the spillbeam. If you shine the hotspot up close to illuminate rough terrain right ahead, it's overwhelmingly bright and ruins whatever dark adaption your eyes have. After using the hotspot up close, when you shine it further away you can no longer see the spillbeam.

Around town, with lots of ambient light, it's not bad for walking. Out in the woods in real darkness, it's tolerable for walking a wide, well-beaten path, but really poor for walking cross country or down a rough path.

I still sometimes carry mine along in a belt holster during night hikes. I use the momentary feature to spot animals, check out the terrain a hundred feet ahead, etc.

Gromulus

Newly Enlightened
I own several Luxeon ProPolys and agree that while they are a great value for their output and battery life, they are too bright and spotty for general woods hiking.

I have been using my Gladius (with FM34 Beamshaper) and find this an ideal light for hiking and general camping. With the Beamshaper option and the variable output, it works in just about every situation. Too bad the battery life is not comparable to the ProPoly.

Nickerz

Newly Enlightened
Nickerz said:
Ah man...so I got the one that doesn't have long battery life. Looks like I'll repost on ebay and to sell it then. I really want one that has good battery life as I already have two Luxeon flashlights. 1.) NiteStar 5-Watt (by Nuwai) and 2.) 1-Watt (by SharperImage)

Anyone want to buy mine? When I receive it, it will be brand new and I won't take it out of its packaging.

Thanks!

:sold:
I ended up selling this flashlight. I bought it off ebay for $21 and it arrived last week but I sold it today using craigslist for $20! So not too bad, other than I'm out the shipping/handling of $6

So I think I'm gonna buy the one off this site as I originally planned...

http://streamlight-flashlights.com/4aa-propolymer-led-flashlight.html

...this is the one that lasts for about 1 week if kept "on" the entire time.

Last edited: