How much music on your computer ?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since last summer, I've been collecting a good amount of Midi files of songs I like to listen to. The song I have are pretty recgonizable as many of them are midi versions of popular songs but since they are midi files; they only have the tune with instruments playing but no words. In many cases, an instrument in the actual song may be replaced by another in the midi and the whatever the singer is saying is "played" by a woodwind or brass instrument; I can at least identify a flute or clarinet in many of my "songs"

So far, I have probably 133 "song" midis and 63 "movie" midis (movie soundtracks/theme songs) for a total of 196 music files. I consider it a pretty good sized collection of music when it comes to this type of file but it is small compared to some of my friends who can have anywhere from 300 to 1000+ songs on their computer. I'm still adding songs as I find them; usually they are spread throughout the web but sites such as http://www.midisite.co.uk/ and www.mididelight.com are helpful. Most of my songs are modern rock but I have classic rock and some "Teenage" pop song (Backstreet Boys, N'sync) as well. You may see me post some of my midi songs on the "What are you listening to ?" thread

How many songs do you guys have on your computer ?

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I think about 10gb. About 3gb of it is live recordings that I made myself, 2gb is ripped from my own cd's, and the rest is (legal) downloads mostly from Magnatune.com or Jamendo.com. There's also a lot of great stuff on archive.org that I've only just started to delve into.

Last edited:

hurld

Newly Enlightened
I have 770 albums which gives me a total of 9315 songs on my Laptop, and a another copy of these on my Mp3 player. Mostly rock and country songs.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over 300 CDs worth - a little over 14GB (.wma 128kbps) - pretty well all ripped from our own CD collection.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have at least 20,000 songs...mostly .SID tunes from various games & demos on the Commodore 64 computer; some coin-op arcade video game songs, and a handful of songs ripped from CDs I already own.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
17,067 tracks in my Winamp playlist. A few thousand of those are SFX from Warcraft III.

Total 44.8GB.

No, I haven't listened to all of it yet - I'm working on it, though.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about, "What's the first song in your collection?"

When I start my iPod randomly it goes to 'all songs'. For a while it started with Abbey Road, by The Beatles which I liked. Now I get Alice in Chains "Grind".

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
1735 files consisting of 11.6GB. No midi's. Just MP3 or OGG

2.5GB of this is specifically Dream Theater.
Probably 3.5GB is Dream Theater and Dream Theater band members bands (LTE, JP, JR ETC)

-Cameron

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
greenlight said:
How about, "What's the first song in your collection?"
The first song I see on my computer when I go to the music subdirectory is the "ready to play" tune from the coin-op arcade video game Afterburner II.
File is ~2.1MB (2,276,912 bytes) long, dial-up users please be aware.
When I start Sidplay, the first song on the list is titled "Alloyrun", written by Jeroen Tel.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
71,230 files
6171 folders
456 gigs

All were ripped from CDs I owned, except for a handfull that were legal downloads from a radio station. And, I'm not done ripping, about another 1000 discs to go :)