UNCLE! (Unix/Linux users please respond)

Saaby

Flashaholic
<font color="green">Ok issue with wmwave is fixed. I'll leave the post here just in case you want to read it. Current issue is with wmapm...scroll to bottom of page please</font>

Ok I'm crying uncle. I need to install gcc so that I can install wmwave so that I can see how strong my wireless LAN connectino is.

I tried to just have Redhat install gcc. It said "install these packages first." I downloaded them and tried to install them and guess what--I need gcc to install them. Yikes! I'm in a loophole!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a man on RPM. You can force it to ignore dependancies. Install all the packages.

-john

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'm attempting to install gcc through gnome--but if it's there then I assume the RPM is hiding on my computer somwhere?

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:
Ok I'm crying uncle. I need to install gcc so that I can install wmwave so that I can see how strong my wireless LAN connectino is.

I tried to just have Redhat install gcc. It said "install these packages first." I downloaded them and tried to install them and guess what--I need gcc to install them. Yikes! I'm in a loophole!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, I'm sure you've heard Redhat sucks before and now you've actually run into one of the main reasons why. The package management blows. RPM really stinks. Let's just leave it at that, I won't go on about RH's problems here.

Anyway, the last time I used RH was probably a good 2-3 years ago. I believe there is a flag for RPM, --nodeps, or something similar, that will allow you to force GCC to install without meeting the dependency requirements. Make sure you are installing from an RPM containing gcc binaries, NOT an SRPM(source).

It should be something like rpm -ih --nodeps gcc.version.blah.rpm

(I don't remember what -h does since I havent used RPM in so long, but my fingers automagically inserted it in there. That means that it's imbedded into my brain since I probably used it every time in conjunction with rpm -i
smile.gif
... I do remember that it's not a required flag but I used it every time nontheless. I *think* it might just be a flag to provide you with more verbose output, but check the man page to be sure.)

After you've gotten gcc to install, go back and install all the other required dependencies. Since gcc is now installed they shouldn't complain.

-tibim

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, open a terminal window. Do "man rpm". You're going to do something like:

rpm --install --nodeps <packagefile>

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
-h prints hash marks while the software is installed. Not needed.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think we've missed a critical piece of info here.

GCC is *not* in an RPM. I am attempting to follow the installation instructions. When I try to make the file (IE I go to the directory everything was untared to and say "make" as the instructions have told me to do) it runs into:

"error: no acceptable cc found in $Path"

and the only reason I'm trying to install gcc is because when I try to install wmwave (Again, when I say make) I get:

"make: cc: command not found"

Skyline

Enlightened
Saaby,

If you've downloaded the GCC source, it is expected that you build it (make) by compiling it using the "native" compiler (cc). Yes, you compile a compiler.

Since you don't have a compiler on your system right now, you need to install a GCC that is already built and has all the executable binaries. This is why the others expect you to be installing a GCC RPM package.

Does that make sense?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you said you downloaded GCC. It would be an RPM.

What version of RH is this? What did you select when you installed it? Do you have CDs?

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um. Hopefully you didn't download the source. That would be unhelpful. Do you have DSL?

-john

tibim

Newly Enlightened
I think we've missed a critical piece of info here.

GCC is *not* in an RPM. I am attempting to follow the installation instructions. When I try to make the file (IE I go to the directory everything was untared to and say "make" as the instructions have told me to do) it runs into:

"error: no acceptable cc found in $Path"

and the only reason I'm trying to install gcc is because when I try to install wmwave (Again, when I say make) I get:

"make: cc: command not found"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">gcc is libraries and programs for compiling things. cc is part of the whole gcc rpm. You can't compile gcc without having gcc installed. This is why you're running into the cc not found error. For the first time installing gcc, you need to install it from a binary. The quickest way to do this for you is from the RPM. After you have this installed, you can run make again and it should work. However I should warn you that compiling gcc from source (tarball) can often be complicated. It's best to use the redhat rpms because this way all the libs and bins are inserted into the correct directories where redhat expects them to lie. Otherwise you will run into compilation errors later on.

In general it's always bad to install strait from a tarball. This is because you have no good way to uninstall and reliably remove all the files placed on your system. If you're gonna use package management at all, in this case RPM, you should stick to it, otherwise you'll run into conflicts.

So...

Do this:
wget ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/8.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gcc-3.2-7.i386.rpm

(Notice I had to connect to a mirror because ftp.redhat.com so so bogged down it's unusable. It was this way back when I ran rh too. Another reason why rh stinks.)

If you don't have wget, use fetch
fetch ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/8.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gcc-3.2-7.i386.rpm

If you don't have fetch(which is a good tool, and so is wget, you might want to get these later if you don't have them), download the gcc RPM whatever way you've been downloading ftp files thus far.

Also, I'm assuming you're running RH 8.0, if not, make the neccessary directory changes.

Then once it's downloaded(could take a while especially from ftp.redhat.com)

rpm -ih --nodeps gcc-3.2-7.i386.rpm

Not 100% sure on if it's "--nodeps" or not, but again just like the -h flag, that's how it automatically came out of my fingers. Check the man page if it fails on you.

After doing this the base gcc will be installed, assuming rpm doesn't throw a fit for who knows what reasons.

There are also several other GCC rpms on the redhat site, you might look into installing these too if you plan to compile anything that may require them.

-tibim

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note, download the GCC for the version of RH you have. In other words, don't use the one suggested, above, if you aren't running RH 8.0.

-john

tibim

Newly Enlightened
I'm in #CPF right now if you want to talk there instead of on the forums. Kind of wierd with the delays and having people post while you're writing stuff, etc.

-tibim

Saaby

Flashaholic
Redhat 8. I don't know why I haven't been downloading binaries--because that's what I've been looking for. Whatever I'll go download and install it now and keep you all posted. I'm in chat as we speak.

tibim

Newly Enlightened

I tried to just have Redhat install gcc. It said "install these packages first." I downloaded them and tried to install them and guess what--I need gcc to install them. Yikes! I'm in a loophole!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Another alternative for you, since you seem to have been ok without gcc installed for however long you've had your system running, is to install wmwave from a binary package. This way you don't have to compile it and there is no need for gcc.

I've never used wmwave so I don't know if it's available as binaries. If it is, though, you could forget about installing gcc because it wouldn't be needed.

-tibim

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok it's all working now. Thanks a million John and tibim!

The things I do for this OS...

Now I am off to bed.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always play it safe: I install all C/C++ developer options, plus tools. That means gcc, flex, bison, all 'reasonable-sounding' libs and devel-libs (eg. network/www-related). You never know when you'll need to build your own binary from a tarball, so I like to keep all the build-stuff handy.
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok well I'll save this thread and just dig it up when I'm out of ideas.

I want a dockable APM app as I'm using Window Maker now. wmapm looks nice. I downloaded the tar file and extracted it all on my own (Wow! What progress I've made) but when I go to do the make I get

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>make: *** [wmapm] Error 1"</pre><hr />

I thought maybe it was just a bad tarball so I downloaded "allin1" and got basically the same error, except that it said "allin1" instead of "wmapm"

Battey monitoring would be nice but what I'm basically looking for is a way to click on an icon and have the system go into standby. I can accomplish this manually by opening xTerm and typing "apm --suspend" but an icon would be much easier. If this was windows I'd write a *.bat file. I'm not 100% sure how Linux works--can I just write a file called suspend and run it? Even if so how do I get an icon for that onto Widowmaker...