For big throw: Lunamax D-Mini, M1, Huntlight, Others??

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the problem: I need strong throw for an outdoors flashlight in a cr123a (1x, 2x, even 3xCR123A are all acceptable) format.

I already have two of the most powerful throw LED lights out there, the Streamlight Surivor (throw 85 on high, as given by Doug -Quickbeam) and a K2 drop-in module into a 3xD MagLite (throw 100 with reflector in focused position). But I am looking for a lighter, non-rechargeable, formfactor. It should also be reasonably tough against the elements. Finally, runtime is important, so it means the new cree-LEDs will have a big advantage.

I did a lot of research, and found the following obvious candidates: Lumapower D-Mini and the newer M1. Huntlight (cree version) looks to be a similar formfactor and a good possibility. But: are there also any others? And what do people who have used one or more of these lights think? What data do we have on the throw for these models? (or even just beamshots - to see that these flashlights can put some light on something 30 feet, 100 feet, or even 100 yards, away - I have seen the Lunamax beamshots, and would really appreciate seeing some other ones as well, especially to compare big throw LED flashlights against each other).

Finally - what about other flashlights I have not included? Here are some thoughts I had for some of the possibilities:

Inova - unfortunately not using cree, so they lose out on the runtime vs throw tradeoff. I was bummed that the new Inovas apparently reduce throw (lose the TIROS optic) and not use the cree; will look at the specs of the T5 if (when?) it comes out in a K2 LED, but will not consider the T4 since it is a rechargeable formfactor only.

I found this Danish brand that claims to be making the most powerful LEDs, claiming visibility for 600 feet in one light (!), but I think they only make them in a rechargeable format.

Surefires you say? OK I will also be carrying in addition to the bigger throw flashlight the L1 for close work (in red light output, of course). But: for L2, L4, and L5's: the design seems to NOT favor throw! I don't know about the new cree-d versions yet, which should be more powerful and have bettern runtime, but look at the overall vs throw output of the existing versions (using Quickbeam's data):

L2 - overall output 72, throw 28 (on high)
L4 - overall output 58, throw 23
L5 - overall output 60, throw 37

The point being that for good reasons of their own, Surefire do not favor throw (tactical uses being relatively close range), which means they are not necessarily the best lights for simple outdoors use. The new cree-d versions will I think preserve this design choice.

So - none of these even comes close to the throw of the Streamlight and the K2-drop-in Mag: so what am I missing?

thanks!

x2x3x2

Banned
how about a goldston 7 watt with an asphetic lens in the head?
i believe someone managed to find a lens that was just about the right size to fit in the head.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
My D-Mini with smooth reflector measures 9100 lux at one meter after 5 minutes on, which the Flashlight Reviews site would call a throw of 95. That's on an RCR-123A Li-Ion cell. That's three times the lux level or 1.7 times the throw of the next brightest lights I have, about a three-way tie among the P1D CE, Blimp running an 18650, and Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux.

c_c

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although i don't have one yet, the D-mini throws extremely well for it's size. I am sure I will end up with one soon enough...

SEMIJim

Enlightened
MattK said:
LEDLogic Striker VG - review and data on FLR. Throw 82.76, total 62.00 on high.
Yeah, I was looking at that review just yesterday or the day before. Looks very good. A mite pricey (for me) at $109 to $119, depending on where you look, and I'd like something with better run time. I'm waiting for the availability and reviews of the Lumapower M1 XRE and Fenix L2D CE before I make any decisions.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's a hand assembled HAIII light made in Canada of machined T6 with a custom collimator optic - the quality is VERY high. Also it has stepless dimming and strobing so it's pretty feature-rich.

Also, regarding output remember it has stepless dimming available so you can extend runtime greatly simply by dimming it down a bit.

Last edited:

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
MattK said:
Well it's a hand assembled HAIII light made in Canada of machined T6 - the quality is VERY high.

Also, regarding output remember it has stepless dimming available so you can extend runtime greatly simply by dimming it down a bit.

T6? Which kind of aluminum is that exactly?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
MattK said:
Well it's a hand assembled HAIII light made in Canada of machined T6 - the quality is VERY high.
Not questioning either the quality or the asking price. I'm sure it's worth every penny. But some of us are on a rather severely restricted budget, so we must choose wisely. Every penny that goes into one thing is another that can't go somewhere else. For some people, the price of that light isn't a lot. For me, 10,900 pennies is a lot of pennies ;).

MattK said:
Understood.

Still, I'm going to wait to see how those two new CREE-powered products shape up before I pull the trigger. (Tho the more I peruse CPF, the more I find I want and the more my priorities seem to shift.)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
T6 is a heat treated, very strong/hard aluminum alloy. I believe they use 6061. This is what's also referred to as 'aircraft grade aluminum' because it can be used in highly stressed parts.

I wish I had disassembled pics of the Striker so you could see how beautifully it's put together.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
SEMIJim - Understood; please remember I was originally posting in response to flashy bazook who is already looking at flashlights that cost considerably more than $109.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, many thanks for the several useful posts I saw already! CPF'ers rock!

Next, the more I learn about what's out there the more I find exists. I had not heard of the Goldston for instance. Following x2x3x2's message I tracked down a source for it, but only a rechargeable version was listed, though I think that somewhere there should also be a version that accepts regular batteries.

Also, I had not really looked into the Striker VG before in detail. It does seem to a strong candidate for a light with big throw--thanks to Mark for mentioning.

The D-mini info is also very interesting. The data provided indicate that it is up there with the big boys in terms of throw, and is better in terms of formfactor (at least, it is much lighter) and runtime. I am trying to better understand the M1, which at least according to the sketchy info we have so far, may be almost as good in terms of throw as the D-mini (this only based on those beamshots by Lumapower). If so it could be a very interesting choice. I still don't have a good handle on the Huntlight in terms of throw - where it fits vs. these other alternatives.

On price - I realize I hadn't been very specific, I guess my approach is to first get a shortlist in terms of what is out there that fits the criteria, then look at everything together, including price.

The lights I mentioned looking at do include a wide variation in price. If two nearly identical lights were available, I guess that I, like most, would choose the cheapest one! There is also the option to wait, as prices will likely weaken over time.

OK, so what to do? Probably want to get a handle on the Huntlight (which has some nice advantages in terms of multiple settings, though these are not the biggest priority), need a better understanding of D-mini vs. M1, need to check out the Striker VG more, which seems to have a good plus also in terms of toughness.

The struggle to enlightenment never ends, does it?

LightScene

Enlightened

martonic

Enlightened
Advantages of LEDs (currently Cree, Seoul) over incans like SL Survivor include whiter light, current regulation for little or no dimming as batteries run down, lamp won't blow if light is dropped, and MUCH longer lifetime for lamp itself (two orders of magnitude better) - a huge advantage.

The D-Mini is truly awesome, especially on RCR123, but you will need a fresh battery every 35 or 40 minutes. For longer runtime, go with M1-Cree (2x123 or 86500 - get the smooth reflector for greatest throw) or wait for the DX1-RV (3x123) in 3 to 6 weeks.

The Huntlight Cree puts out a nice large bright spot - but the larger spot does not carry as far as with the Lumapower Cree lights.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
I wish I had disassembled pics of the Striker so you could see how beautifully it's put together.

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

adnj

Enlightened
With the P1D CE going for $70, that Logitech Striker looks like a real bargain at $109.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
MattK said:
SEMIJim - Understood; please remember I was originally posting in response to flashy bazook who is already looking at flashlights that cost considerably more than $109.
Yeah. And now that I think about it, the lights I'm looking at now are all approaching that range, as well.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I've been doing more research; it looks like the M1 has a decent throw, possibly close to that of D-mini; in my mind with a good formfactor. The 2xCR123a (or 1 rechargeable) gives good runtime as well.

the lumapower DX1-RV is not available yet, but looks to be a bit larger than what I would want to be carrying outdoors. Also, the Gladius looks a bit on the big/heavy side. It seems designed more for cops and similar professionals, who would be carrying it in their cars and only taking it out for short periods of time.

FInally, I tracked down some relevant comments from posters on the cree'd Huntlight, they say it is more of a general purpose beam, without a big throw capability.

So, leaning toward getting the M1, it's certainly an elegant looking light as well. Thanks again to all who responded, it was all very helpful.

There are also several related threads, including very active ones in the manufacturer's forums, to the point where it's hard to follow everything. There is also a new review of the M1 posted (under the reviews forums? I think).