some basic LED questions

viorel00

Enlightened
Hi, please excuse my ignorance when it comes to LED flashlights. I was at SEARS yesterday and while waiting for someone to help me with a different item, I was looking at flashlight, and happened to see a few LED flashlight. I have seen one (I think Craftsman but I don't remember for sure now) where you could exchange the LED with a Krypton bulb. I think the LED looked like a regular light bulb (the Socket I mean). So I would like to know if the electronics for LED is inside the socket, and if this is the case, can I put such an LED into an older regular flashlight?

Also, normal LEDs need a voltage of 1.something, at least those that I used back a while ago in my electronics devices. Do these white light LEDs run at the same level between 1 and 2 V? if so, whet is the advantage of 3 AA over 2 AA flashlight, since the extra voltage is dropped on some resistor rather than on LED itself. Now please don't tell me that these have a sophisticated circuit inside (such as a switching power supply) to convert the 4.5V (lower current) to a lower voltage (3.0 V) but higher amperage. DO they?

is there a LED flashlight primer that I should read?

Thanks