regulation: L1P vs L2P

jayhackett03

Enlightened
why is the L2P regulated and the L1P is not?
they use the same head, right?
is it because with two batteries, the L2P head is within the proper regulation volatage ranges?

litho123

Enlightened
they do not necessarily have the same head. The original L1P heads were only for (IIRC) 1.5v applications and were not to be used on the L2P. There is a visible difference between the two heads so it is easy to tell them apart.

If you haven't done so, I would suggest reading up on the L1P and L2P reviews on flashlightreviews.com to see if a difference is mentioned.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1P and the L2P do not have the same head. It is only possible to use the L2P head on the L1P body and not the other way around if I am not mistaken. It is the L1T and L2T that have the same head (as it is labelled L1T/L2T on the actual head itself). I think the L2P had better regulation because it was meant for use with higher voltage. The Fenixstore has the L2P listed as fully regulated whereas the L1P is listed as semi-regulated. The L1T/L2T are listed as fully regulated.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Just had a look, both the heads look identical except that the driver boards are different, yet the L1T/L2T do have the same driver boards

jayhackett03

Enlightened
ok. ok. but i've got the heads laying next to each other and i can't tell a difference.
S5000191.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
I Just had a look, both the heads look identical except that the driver boards are different, yet the L1T/L2T do have the same driver boards
I put a L1P head on a L2P body and it works OK. Maybe not for long.
The L2P head on an L1P body works great, and if you get the 123 body from 7777 you have covered all the bases (except the 123 body won't take 3.0V R123's, but it will take the unprotected 3.6V 123's).
What's *that* all about??

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayhackett03 said:
ok. ok. but i've got the heads laying next to each other and i can't tell a difference.
S5000191.jpg

L1T head looks longer to me.

paulr

Flashaholic
From what I understand:

L1p: made to work ok with 1.5v alkaline batteries which means it has to keep operating down to 0.8 volts or so since alkaline batteries' voltage sags as they run down. Not terribly efficient and not tightly regulated. Efficiency and regulation at such low input voltage is quite difficult to accomplish in such a small space. Not sure what happens if you try to run it at 3 volts--maybe it blows up.

L2p: made to run on two AA alkalines, tightly regulated and somewhat more efficient than L1p, but doesn't work at such low voltage. Can operate down to 1.2 volts or so which means it works ok on one AA L91 lithium (1.7 volts) or NiMH (1.2v with flat discharge curve) with better performance than L1p on those types of cells, though still somewhat out of regulation. But with an alkaline cell (most of the energy available from an alkaline is at below 1.2 volts) it performs quite a bit worse than the L1p.

L1T/L2T: these are the same circuit and the new design works better at low voltages than the L2P circuit, though maybe still not as well as the L1p on 1xAA alkaline (I'm not sure of this). Anyway since "low" mode is available, worse efficiency on 1xAA alkaline is at least partly alleviated.

L1D/L2D CE: I don't think anyone has seen or tested these yet. L0P CE's are starting to appear and there's been some informal reviews but no real measurements so far.

paulr

Flashaholic
Illum_the_nation, P1D is a cr123a powered light. They've been out for a while. L1D/L2D are the 1AA/2AA lights and nobody has one yet as far as I know.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Oddjob said:
The L1P and the L2P do not have the same head. It is only possible to use the L2P head on the L1P body and not the other way around if I am not mistaken. It is the L1T and L2T that have the same head (as it is labelled L1T/L2T on the actual head itself). I think the L2P had better regulation because it was meant for use with higher voltage. The Fenixstore has the L2P listed as fully regulated whereas the L1P is listed as semi-regulated. The L1T/L2T are listed as fully regulated.
I put my L2P head on an L1P body. Then I put the L1P head on the L2P body and gave it to a friend. I haven't heard anything yet.