Vehicles...Diesel & Diesel/electric

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a site that pulls together more info on existing and future vehicles using diesel technology than I've ever seen in one spot.

Do diesels have a future?

Diesels are "extra interesting" (IMO), because they can be run on "BioDiesel" that we grow right here in the U.S. or make out of recycled oils like from McDonalds french fryers (used oil that otherwise businesses pay to put in landfills). This creates one vehicle that lets you burn fuel from your "source of choice"; petroleum, soybeans (or other vegetable sources) or recycled oils.

Another interesting aspect of diesels is that they get inherently higher mileage. Diesel fuel contains 15% more energy per pound than gasoline plus diesels operate at higher temperatures and pressures for higher efficiency use of the energy. A VW Golf TDI (or Jetta Wagon) gets 49 mpg.

When you bust up crude oil to get a gallon of gasoline...the way our refining processes work you automatically get two gallons of diesel. So...you can often find diesel fuel at a lower price than gasoline.

One stumbling block for diesels has been higher NOx emissions. There is a section that explains if we got the sulfer out of diesel, we could use catalysts (like we already do in gas vehicles) to clean up the NOx. BioDiesel contains no sulfer.
smile.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
diesel powered automotives have become very popular in europe during the last decade because of the direct injection technology used. i do drive a bmw diesel myself and i must say that i would not go back to gasoline-engines... less fuel consumption and lower fuel prices, much higher torque and equal top-speed - no need for gasoline
grin.gif

chris

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
In one of Darell's EV threads, there was some talk that a diesel/electric hybrid might be the "perfect" long range extension of an EV.

The link at the top of the post mentions several such efforts.

1. A GM protoype car "5 passenger Precept" that gets 80 mpg.

2. A University of San Diego test vehicle that will go 20 miles as a pure battery powered Electric Vehicle and then switch on a diesel/generator to recharge the batteries on the go.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Now to spend a while studying...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...if you follow it all, you'll have a lot of reading to do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My 1990 F-350 Diesel that gets a whopping average of 14.35 mpg never-the-less runs pretty clean. Only smokes bad cold or really foot down (which don't make it go much faster so I don't do it much).

When I can go to a pump and get Biodiesel I most certainly will. I would love to do my part!

Excellent site!

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
When I can go to a pump and get Biodiesel I most certainly will. I would love to do my part!

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a site: BioDiesel distributers in Texas

I don't know if there are retailers selling BioDiesel at the pump...but there might be.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

I just took delivery of a 2003 VW Golf TDI (diesel)!

I've located a distributer of BioDiesel in my city. After I've had some experience I'll update my impressions. Our family is on its way to Oil Independence! Happy motoring!

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
hi,
In the UK at least where i live most cars are diesel, and have been since i was a little-un. mainly due to Huge fuel prices.
i did use petrol cars till the recent Turbo diesels started to rival petrols. I dont like turbo's in cars, i like a smooth accelration all through the revs, but im poor and the fuel economy is better, so i cant complain, however the egnines are alot heavyier and thus you get worse handerling in small cars amongst other setbacks.

However, you can run a disel engine on vegtable oil with a a squirt of white spirit for every litre. used and strained vegtable oil is actually better.
it actually runs better then normal diesel! and is very popular, infact so much so, in alot of shops over here you are only allowed to buy a certain amount of vegitable oil before you have to pay fuel tax!
and that to me, is a easy way without much R&D for cutting fuel consumption in half. and it is also totaly enviromentaly friendly, so god knows why it hasnt been publicsed or recomended more.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ikendu said:
Our family is on its way to Oil Independence! Happy motoring!

[/ QUOTE ]
Good for you, ikendu. (and Brock!)

Alas, I'll still only be able to achieve ZERO mpg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
The golf is cheaper, I think like 17k? The Jetta wagon I got loaded is 21,500. I heard they are going to have the larger Passat sedan in diesel in 2004. It still is suppose to get 40+ mpg.

Darell, you know if I could I would /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tater Rocket said: Might I ask how much the VW golf diesel cost?

Mine was $17,250 including destination charge (only tax and title extra).

I got the base GL model.
I'm really amazed at the amount of content in the base model!
Air, cruise, CD, remote door locks; really everything you might need!

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell said: Alas, I'll still only be able to achieve ZERO mpg.

Darell, you devil you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You know, I've got two cars...the other one could be an EV (if I could get one).
I found out today that peak metering IS available in my area.
My other car is a Mazda Miata...any EV convertibles?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock said: check out: http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I had been here before...but forgotten about it. Great site! Found out here that the TDI's will pass Tier 2 emissions starting with May '03 production. Cool! Tier 2 is supposed to be way lower NOx. Apparently it was achieved by increasing the injection pressure.

Brock, are you thinking of using BioDiesel? I found a place in Iowa City that will sell it for $2.50 a gallon. I'm looking for a good anti-gel additive for winter B100 use. Otherwise, I'll mix my own B20 in the winter and use B100 in the summer.