Any good flood light with Cree CR-E or Seoul P4?

stockae92

Enlightened
Any good flood light with Cree CR-E or Seoul P4?

like a SF L4, just a bigger wall of light? :)

daveman

Enlightened
Sadly, there are no real XR-E flood lights in the 2 cr123 format yet. The closest thing to a Cree flood light in the market right now is the Huntlight FT-01, but from what I've read, it doesn't put out a "wall of light" as some of us expect from a all flood beam.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm converting a Nuwai (Already a flood with a Lux V) to a Cree right now.

Unregulated on a RCR 123 3.6V it's pulling 850 mA. Can't wait to get it assembled with a dummy battery. :grin2:

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Draco with the Cree upgrade gives a tremendous flood of light, almost exactly like an L4, only the Draco's actually got a larger hotspot!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my Nuwai Cree mod is complete. Good news: Brighter and whiter than stock, runs cooler and more efficient on 1 RCR-123, very smooth beam. Bad news: Doesn't flood anymore! The big Lux-V emitter is evidently the reason for the excellent flood.

It's a lot like a Huntlight FT-01-XRE-XSE Cree on it's second dimming level now... but this has no artifacts due to a textured reflector.

taschenlampe

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Well, my Nuwai Cree mod is complete. Good news: Brighter and whiter than stock, runs cooler and more efficient on 1 RCR-123, very smooth beam. Bad news: Doesn't flood anymore! The big Lux-V emitter is evidently the reason for the excellent flood.

It's a lot like a Huntlight FT-01-XRE-XSE Cree on it's second dimming level now... but this has no artifacts due to a textured reflector.

Could you tell some details from this mod please?

Tom

StanTeate

Enlightened
I just swapped a Lux V in my LionHeart with a Seoul P4 and all my reflectors had good spill but a really big hole in the middle. Tried a Fraen Optic and lost a lot of the spill but gained one large bright hotspot that throws much better than the reflectors. WOW. Thats a keeper. And it runs much cooler and lasts longer.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
StanTeate said:
I just swapped a Lux V in my LionHeart with a Seoul P4 and all my reflectors had good spill but a really big hole in the middle. Tried a Fraen Optic and lost a lot of the spill but gained one large bright hotspot that throws much better than the reflectors. WOW. Thats a keeper. And it runs much cooler and lasts longer.
I had one light that was a lux 1 flashlight I got for a gift -- it had a beautful flood beam, but was somewhat dim (useful though for having in the car). It turned out to be direct drive with a 3.6 Ohm resistor. I pulled out the resistor, replaced the LED with a cree, and use it to run "worn out" AAA batteries that are too dead to run many other things but still have useful life. Lights up the Cree brighter than the stock luxeon with fresh cells. At first it had the donut hole ring, but I fabricated a small copper "Spacer" (a loop of 14 gauge wire) to elevate the height of the little LED module (aluminum slug the star screws into), then soldered a sanded copper penny to the back of the 3AAA adapter so that it would still fit given the extra space.

The light now produces an great wall of light, that's ideal for lighting up a walkway at close range, or searching for dropped items. It's just a gradual transition from from darker to brighter in the middle. So I'd say, if you have an old light sitting around that had a good reflector pattern you like, you can throw a Cree star in there and use copper pennies or other similar methods to position the LED to produce your desired beam.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was kind of looking for a floody light, but it occurs to me that it's easier to make a beam-type light into a floody one than vice versa. I stuck a piece of ordinary Scotch Matte Finish Magic Tape over my P1, and it makes a really good floody light. And the tape drops the total light output by only about 10%, the best of a few common materials I had on hand to try. The tape is stuck to the rim of the bezel rather than the lens itself, so it comes off easily if and when I decide I want a beam instead.

c_c

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,

For the Nuwai TM-301-5, I used strap wrenches to break the threadlock to open.

Once inside, I measured the voltage across the Lux V emitter, it was nearly 5 Volts. I knew I couldn't use the stock board driver.

The "pill" is simply a Lux V star, an emitter board, and an aluminum spacer in between.

Since the Cree board is thinner... plus a Cree normally needs "lifted" to go into the reflector far enough, I decided to double-stack the Cree star on an empty star I had laying around. I used thermal epoxy to bond them.

Also, I decided to wipe all the components off the driver board :sssh: and simply wire directly to exposed solder pads that connect directly to the battery terminals on the other side. This means I would need to use a 3.6V source and direct drive the emitter. Before I did all this destruction, I wired the emitter to the battery and found it uses a safe 850 mA.

The only other modification I needed to do was open the hole in the reflector and allow the emitter to go up inside better. Also, some material needed to come off the back. I filed off the boss/step of material off the back of the reflector, and the result was a hole big enough for the emitter, and clearance for re-assembling everything without the reflector hitting the Cree board.

Put it back together with 1 RCR-123a and 1 dummy 123a. Turned it on, left it on, started comparing against my other lights. :grin2:

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened
Trashman said:
The Draco with the Cree upgrade gives a tremendous flood of light, almost exactly like an L4, only the Draco's actually got a larger hotspot!

Any links to the Draco?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
taschenlampe said:
Thank you EngrPaul!

Would it also work with 18650 (or 17670) rechargeables?

Tom

Probably, I don't have any of those.

stockae92

Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
The light now produces an great wall of light, that's ideal for lighting up a walkway at close range, or searching for dropped items.

exactly what i need

imagine my pain trying to looking for something on the ground with my G2Z with P61!

i eventually found what i've dropped, but i imagine it would be much easier with the L4 :p

lightrod

Enlightened
It will be hard for the XRE to beat the L4 by much - it puts out over 100 lumens already, with a healthy chunk dedicated to the flood region.

Definitely a great flood on the XRE equipped Draco.
LiteBrite - a good place to start for lots of Draco info....
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/137487

I think the Surefire Titan will have a great flood as well but that's quite a bit of time and dollars later. It will not match the total L4 output however.

The flood search continues....

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:

Paul, I swapped the stock LuxV V-binning to a W-bin in my Nuwai ALX352-L. So I could use the stock driver and the result is great. Much much brighter and due to it much more throw.
Before I thought using a Cree but I'm happy now with the LuxV-W-bin. The Cree would be brighter than the stock V-bin but the W-bin is brighter than a Cree. 900mA is going to the driver with one 18650 cell.:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the light with the stock LuxV on high, distance to the door is 18m:

135_3584.jpg

Now with the W-bin, same settings:

135_3586.jpg

Best regards

____
Tom