corkscrew - lever type. Who's got one?

Darell

Flashaholic
corkscrew - lever type. Who\'s got one?

We need something important to discuss around here that won't divide everybody down party lines. Can we all agree that bottled wine comes with a cork, and that the cork needs to be extracted to enjoy the wine (if in fact you enjoy wine - but there's no pressure there....)? Hope so.

So I'm on the hunt for a good value in a lever-type corkscrew. You guys know what I mean? Looks like this:
11658.jpg

They range in price from $14 to over $200. Can the cheap ones really be all that much worse than the expensive ones? The biggest name brand is the "Rabbit" which sells for close to $100. I'm more of the $25 wine-opener-kind-of-guy, but I also don't want to end up buying a cheap one, then having to go back out and but a good one if it ends up being crappy.

Here is a page that has a whole bunch of similar openers for sale. All the lever ones look the same, but the price range can be huge. http://www.giantsavings.com/winecellar.html

So, who's got info for me?

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Re: corkscrew - lever type. Who\'s got one?

I've been on the prowl for one of these since late December when my sister showed me one she had found for ~$50. She said there might be cheaper ones so I hit the Linens and Things and Bed Bath and Beyond (God, what has my life come to... I used to be so tough...) It was for my wife since she has just found a Piersporter she enjoys immensly, but hates our waiters corkscrew.

Any ways, it appears these were THE item of Christmas 2002 and every store in the district was very sold out. And they were going for just $19.99. sigh. Every clerk knew what I was talking about instantly and each told me the same. I did find one in Marshall Fields for $90!! It wasn't a flashlight though, so I was able to control myself.

Sooo, long story short, Linens and Things had them in when I checked last night and I got it for $20. I examined it at home and I could see some things that a more premium model might improve on (better springs in the handle) But it works just fine, and I don't see how we won't get at least a piddly $20 worth of use out of it. (Especially when I show it to my brother in law and tell him what we got it for)
wink.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Dear Wine Dude,

Although I generally judge the quality of an adult beverage by how quick the lid comes off, wine requires tools. Trying to find the right bottle opener seems to be like some sort of experiment where the the humans are being judged by what tools they use.

Regardless, I do have a lever wine opener and it works great. I couldn't see spending $200 on one either. Still, you do have to pay for the ease of use and a decent product.

Leverpull, made by Screwpull, seems to have the best ones in various price ranges. Here is a link to their website.

I can only hope that Bart doesn't see this.
grin.gif

EDIT: After posting I spent some more time at the their website and instead of the Leverpull, you might consider their corkscrews. They to put it simply, are phenominal. They have the same Teflon coated screw which is the same coating on the Leverpull.

You can probably find one at your local Bed, Bath & Beyond for $25-35.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

One time we were having good time at the camp, drinking beer, playing cards, etc...
Somebody brought a bottle of wine, which we had to drink. No corkscrew. After about 10 minutes of thinking, we put 3 wood screws in to the cork, and puled it out with pliers.

My point - drink beer.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

darell, do yourself a favor and go with the $200 one.

you deserve it right?
rolleyes.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

Trust me when I tell you that beer is my beverage of choice (even when I've managed to break the neck off when trying to pop the lid off on a park bench!) - but various activities in my life require me to open wine. Wanting red wine over beer sometimes is one of those reasons.

I would love it if the entire industry switched to screw lids. They just need to find a unique, classy way to do it (do away with the break-off tamper-proof seal and dip the whole thing in wax, maybe?).

Well, assuming the industry DOES switch over, maybe I should seek out the cheapest possible lever opener for now...

Darell

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Rothrandir:

you deserve it right?
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure... no question that I deserve it. I'd just rather buy extra wine and a $15 opener.
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Pure assumption here...but have you been drinking beer lately? As in within the past 3 hours?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

My first job out of college I was a wine wholesaler, and for two and a half years, I slept, ate, and , well you know, drank wine!

A relative of the companiies owner, invented the Screw Pull.

http://www.screwpull.com/

OH, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!

There is actually a website called:

http://www.corkscrew.com/index.html

While I think that the Screwpulls are still a great device, my favorite corkscrew is this one, and I was about to go crazy trying to describe it, as someone gave me mine, and I have never been able to find it retail, but now I can simply show you a picture!

pulltaps-teflon.jpg

The things that make this corkscrew stand out are:

Teflon coated screw.

Wide spiral auger (grabs more cork)

AND, the piece de resistance, the PIVOT half way on the boot lever. This way, you can screw this sucker all the way deep into the cork, and PIVOT the corkscrew lever in until you pull the cork halfway straight out (not pulling at an angle like most waiters corkscrews) then straighten it out and pull it the rest of the way out.

Now please realise, that I was the only local supplier for the Screw Pull in all of Houston (this was JUST before the internet became commonplace - 1984-86), and I REALLY believed in tthe screw pull, so saying I like this type better says a lot.

PLUS the corkscrew website has a lot of different types of corkscrews!

Just for reference, for others reading this, here is what a classic "Screw Pull looks like:

screwpull_giftsetb.jpg

Basicly, you place it over the wine, hold the "feet" of the screw pull, and just start turning the screwpull. It litterly pulls the cork out as you screw, no need to pull or use leverage.

OK Darrell, I can't spell it, but:

"In Vino Veritas!"

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

OH, another thing, my feelings on Synthetic corks, I LOVE 'EM! I wish all wineries would go with synthetic cork.

As far as "fine wines" using twist off caps, intelectually, I understand that is can be superior to traditional corks, with almost guaranteed no oxidation, and seapage and ulage, and "gook" that can accumulate between the lead and the cork, I do not want to see this trend continue.

I am not, by far, a wine snob,I actually detest people that get snotty about wine, BUT, there is something about uncorking a bottle of wine. Even Synthetic corks are just fine, as I said, actually prefered, but I still want a cork.

Unless the bottle of wine is being ordered at a restaurnant, and has been cellered for many years (read expensive!) there is no real need to smell or examine the cork. And, I don't think I have EVER ordered a bottle of wine that expensive and old at a restaurant.

Why at a restaurant? Welll, if you were at home, and the cork looked damaged, wouldn't you try the wine anyway?

When the cork is placed in front of me at a restaurant, I usually pick it up right away, and move it out of the way, not even looking at it.

BUT, that does not excuse poor wine service. A server that brings a bottle of wine over to my table, with the lead already off, and the corkscrew already inserted into the bottle, unless it is a bottle of white zin, that is not acceptable in my opinion.

And, yes, Nichia LED's are better to review the body of a wine, considering you use a white napkin as a backdrop. (That's another pet peeve, a person holding a glass of wine up to the light to look at it, the wine picks up the colors of the ambience of the restaurant.

Darell

Flashaholic

Ya just never know what you'll find out about you CPF friends next.
smile.gif

Good stuff, BuddTX. I know what you mean about popping the cork. There is something quite enjoyable about the experience. I just read on a "Rabbit" page that the don't recommend that you use their lever device with synthetic corks. Can't imagine why though. I think for now, I'll just order up a cheapie lever-pull (two for $24!) and see how I like them. Maybe if it takes me long enough to decide, they'll have switched to screw caps before I have to spend any more money.
smile.gif

Ryan: Yes.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since we are talking about wines:

Favorite to drink currently: California Zinfandel's, specifically Amador county (sierra foothills), but Napa and Sonoma Zin's have impressed me too! Astralian Reds are fun too!

Favorite of all time: Pinot Noirs and Red Burgundies! Oh man, Aloxe Corton, Domaine bottled Volnays, Oregon Pinot Noirs, Yawwozza!

Other favorites: Italian "heavy" Reds, Rhones, Spanish Rehoas (Spelling, I know), any premium california blend.

Most mis-understood wine - Sauvignon Blanc. I have tasted a couple of great Sauv Blanc's, but I usually just steer clear of that isle at the liquor store. BUT Adler Fels is a great label for Sauv Blanc!

Best Value in a French Sparkling Wine? Cremant de Bourgogne! This is a method champognige full sparkling, 100 % Chardonnay from Burgundy (usually Macon), but is usually ½ to 2/3 less expensive than an official "Champagne".

Darell

Flashaholic

Whoosh! Way over my head.

Lately I only drink red. The bigger and heavier the better. Merlot and Pinot are my favs.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darell,

You would LOVE a good, roboust red zin!

14.7% alcohol, maybe more, (means ultra ripe grapes!), and a flavor that takes the tartar off your teeth.

You could put a spoon into the glass, and the spoon would stand upright!

(OK, not really, but BIG BIG wines!, and relatavely good values, for the flavor you get!

mc

Newly Enlightened

Zins...been interested in some Lodi ones.

Darell you are so close to Old Vine Lodi Zin tasting!

I use a cheap opener, like the one pictured at the top, at $20. they are a real surprise value.
I do rotate to a screw pull, or the 2 prong-slid it between the cork and glass style-and pull, or even a lever one, without the cool flex joint as mentioned and pictured above.

Reds reds, big reds, from Italy, Calif., Spain, France...always looking for the great one, at a great price!

Yummmmm

I really love those ales too!

Darell

Flashaholic

We've certainly discovered that we're much closer to lots of wine since moving up here to Davis. One of our favorite wine areas is the Anderson Valley, actually.

Dang, the more I write, the more like a snob I sound. Funny coming from a beer drinker...

mc

Newly Enlightened

To de-snob oneself, try a 2 buck Chuck from Trader Joes...it was ok..

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, I thought I'd have something to contribute about the corkscrew, but BuddTX said all I was going to say about the teflon-coating and helix diameter plus more. Anything narrower or with metal in the middle like a woodscrew-looking thing just chews up your cork and sends it into the bottle. I'll just leave that assessment to BuddTX except to say my opinion that he's right on it. Spot on. He da man.

But I still have one more thing to add --

If you're going to be opening anything that might have some sediment then stand your Tigerlight on its conveniently flat end and use that as your decanting candle! It's the world's best decanting cantle. Really. No joke. You can see everything in the bottle no matter how dark the bottle & wine are. Especially with FlashlightLens's UCL!
grin.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Binky!

I think Darell is fooling us! He lives in Northern CA, He is just a nice drive from Napa, Sonoma, Mendicino county!

AND, going north, He can hit Wilamette Valley in Oregon and visit lots of vineyards!

Darell, I remember finding 9 bottles of Robert Mondavi Reserve 1981 Chardonnay at a Crescent City grocery store, while on vacation, (and the 81 Reserve was claimed to be the absolute best (at the time 1986) Chardonnay that R. Mondavi ever produced! I thought I was in Hog Heaven, until I brought it up to the register, and they rung it up as the NON RESERVE Chardonnay! It was like 8 bucks each instead of 30 or 40 bucks each!

I wonder where that wine is now . . .