110/240V AC drivers for multiple LED's - where are they ?

Amonra

Enlightened
As we are getting better and better efficiency out of led's it looks like the time for LED's to fulfill their ultimate task is close.
That task is the one of replacing the common bulb and possibly also CF lights. It is already possible with the XR-E and the SSC P4 as has been proven.

Although some may argue that the colour temprature is still too high and that colour rendition is poor, it may be acceptable for some and the amount of light is compareable if using enough LED's (although expensive).

Current offerings of LED replacement bulbs seem to be too directional and feeble ( aswell as too expensive ) to be considered as a 'Direct Replacement'
So i set out to build my own.

I have been looking for a compact, cheap, efficient driver that is capable of running multiple led's ( up to 10 led's ? ) at a constant current directly from 110/240V AC.
I have been unable to find such a driver as most seem to be exclusively designed for flashlights and since i am an idiot in electronics i do not know how to design one myself.

I would therefore like to ask the electronics gurus to be so kind as to design such a driver and make a product or schematics available to the public so that people like me can experiment into the inevitable future of LED home lighting.

Thank you

ken2400

Enlightened
I let you in what I use. I went to my 99cent store and found some moble/cell phone charges. They put out around 5V DC and plug into the wall. With a reister I made some night lights for the house. I want to refine my night light more by adding a fuse BUT I have yet to find one that is rated at like 5 watts / 120 V AC.

Good luck an please gives feedback about your findings.

Thanks

Amonra said:
As we are getting better and better efficiency out of led's it looks like the time for LED's to fulfill their ultimate task is close.
That task is the one of replacing the common bulb and possibly also CF lights. It is already possible with the XR-E and the SSC P4 as has been proven.

Although some may argue that the colour temprature is still too high and that colour rendition is poor, it may be acceptable for some and the amount of light is compareable if using enough LED's (although expensive).

Current offerings of LED replacement bulbs seem to be too directional and feeble ( aswell as too expensive ) to be considered as a 'Direct Replacement'
So i set out to build my own.

I have been looking for a compact, cheap, efficient driver that is capable of running multiple led's ( up to 10 led's ? ) at a constant current directly from 110/240V AC.
I have been unable to find such a driver as most seem to be exclusively designed for flashlights and since i am an idiot in electronics i do not know how to design one myself.

I would therefore like to ask the electronics gurus to be so kind as to design such a driver and make a product or schematics available to the public so that people like me can experiment into the inevitable future of LED home lighting.

Thank you

Amonra

Enlightened
Ken: they do not have for 240V. xitanium drivers are a bit expensive too.

Daschredder: i think they can only handle 3 led's and im looking for something that can handle at least 5.

Frenzee: that chip looks nice but it looks like it will need a lot of other hardware to make it work and as i said i am an idiot. i would have wished it to be a simpler circuit that even I can build with common components.

Amonra

Enlightened
yep, every one i have seen is expensive. This is not helping to make LED's commercially viable for general home lighting.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use VLM (vlm.it) drivers for my applications and for some projects I've done in people's houses. Never heard a complaint about it. They are well priced and available in different power ratings plus you can get dimmable drivers for just a bit more.

Though they are difficult to get if you don't have the right resources.

daschredder

Newly Enlightened
Amonra said:

Daschredder: i think they can only handle 3 led's and im looking for something that can handle at least 5.

Frenzee: that chip looks nice but it looks like it will need a lot of other hardware to make it work and as i said i am an idiot. i would have wished it to be a simpler circuit that even I can build with common components.

Amonra-

The power supply that I'm using handles 9 LEDs, 1 Watt each....total power drain is around 10 Watts and it puts out roughly the equivalent light as my 50 Watt incandescent pot lights.

I've also lit up strings of high power LEDs with a 120V AC going first to a bridge rectifier and then to the lights. You have to be carefull to do the math right...or else its easy to blow up the LEDs in this configuration. But...its cheap...!!

good luck

daschredder

Newly Enlightened
Amonra said:

Amonra-

The power supply that I'm using handles 9 LEDs, 1 Watt each....total power drain is around 10 Watts and it puts out roughly the equivalent light as my 50 Watt incandescent pot lights.

I've also lit up strings of high power LEDs with a 120V AC going first to a bridge rectifier and then to the lights. You have to be carefull to do the math right...or else its easy to blow up the LEDs in this configuration. But...its cheap...!!

good luck

frenzee

Enlightened
Amonra said:

Just get the demo board. Comes with all the components and the PCB. All you have to do is solder them together and put it in a project box. It doesn't get any simpler than that, unless you buy a pre-made unit like a Xitanium.