Need an IP attorney...

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced firm that specializes in IP law? I need them to send a demand letter on my behalf and that will likely be the end of it. I can provide details via PM. If there is a CPF'er that could do this, all the better. I am not expecting this pro bono, but I don't have a huge amount of cash to devote to this either.

Please PM me if you can help or can recommend someone...or post if you think it might help someone else...

If you don't have anything constructive to add, please save us both the time and do not post a reply here.

Thanks in advance...

JM-99

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried calling your local BAR association? Many BARs have a referral program, some even offer a free or low cost initial consultation. Insofar as cheap lawyers, sometimes you find a real gem, and sometimes you get what you pay for.

Besides if you just want them to phrase a letter for you, they may indicate that it is in Pro Per and the receiving party will just toss it in the trash because they'll assume that you either can't afford or aren't willing to spend the money on legal representation.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Have you tried calling your local BAR association? Many BARs have a referral program, some even offer a free or low cost initial consultation.

There are no IP attorneys in my area.

Insofar as cheap lawyers, sometimes you find a real gem, and sometimes you get what you pay for.

Hence, the request for recommendations here.

Besides if you just want them to phrase a letter for you, they may indicate that it is in Pro Per and the receiving party will just toss it in the trash because they'll assume that you either can't afford or aren't willing to spend the money on legal representation.

Nope. I want them to send the letter from their firm. I did not say I wanted them to write it and for me to send it under my name.

Thanks.

JM-99

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't help you there. You should probably get an attorney that is at least in the same state as you, or it is a Title 17 issue, one who had been admitted to practice before the Federal bench. You should be aware that an attorney who has not been admitted to the BAR in your state, may not be entitled to practice law there.

Insofar as an attorney sending out your letter under their name or the name of their firm, I've never heard of an attorney doing such a thing, at least not without considerable review (i.e. billed hours.)

Jumpmaster said:
There are no IP attorneys in my area.

Nope. I want them to send the letter from their firm. I did not say I wanted them to write it and for me to send it under my name.

Thanks.

JM-99

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
One attorney I spoke with said since this is a federal matter, it doesn't matter what state they're in.

Billed hours are fine. I would not think it would take more than an hour to send a demand letter.

Now, can anyone recommend a good IP attorney? Or is there one on here that can assist me?

JM-99

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Jumpmaster said:
One attorney I spoke with said since this is a federal matter, it doesn't matter what state they're in.

Billed hours are fine. I would not think it would take more than an hour to send a demand letter.

Now, can anyone recommend a good IP attorney? Or is there one on here that can assist me?

JM-99

Heh, no offense JM, but how often do you deal with lawyers?

They tell you how long it takes, not the other way around.

Again, no offense intended :)

*edit* And, even if it did only take an hour, he may well charge you $800 or so for said hour.

Contact your local public attorney's office, possibly. A kind soul may take you under their wing and guide you to a Federally appointed lawyer.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the most respected firms that many companies use for outside counsel on IP law is Wilson-Sonsini. You can read more about them at their web site, http://www.wsgr.com/WSGR/Index.aspx. If they're willing to accept you as a client and can't do what you need, then it probably can't be done.

They do have offices throughout the country, and I think their headquarters in Palo Alto runs on a 24/5 or 24/7 basis.

Jumpmaster said:

JM-99