AAA to C adapters? 2C Mag

fishx65

Enlightened
I've been using some really cheap AAA to C adapters in my 2C Mag mod with good results. I got these adapters out of those cheap 3 led lights they sell at The Dollar Tree. They are very flimsy but they get the job done. Do any of you no were I could pick up some nice ones?

Thanks, FishX

Cydonia

Enlightened
AA to C adaptors exist on many sites of course. But I've not seen AAA to C. Maybe you'd have to get an AAA to AA adaptor (I've not seen one of these either) and then use it in an AA to C adaptor! That would be really inefficient though.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Well here's what google turned up in a few seconds :whistle:
Gets tedious having to back up everything you say with links...

http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=292
http://www.vistek.ca/details/details.aspx?WebCode=221607&CategoryID=Batteries
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000855034/dealtime-ce-feed-20/ref=nosim
http://cgi.ebay.com/u76-8-x-Adaptor-Converter-AA-to-C-Size-Battery_W0QQitemZ130072960037QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48618QQcmdZViewItem

I use a piece of black rubber hose cut down the side to fit 2AA.
I use this as an adaptor in my shortwave radio instead of C size cells.
I plan on using this same method when I get a C MagLite so it can use AA's. It's super cheap, looks good, can't break and insulates a little shock absorbing.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure, but I think fish meant to say 3AAA to C adapter as he refers to using adapters out of cheap LED lights, which usually have 3AAA.

Lithium-Ion 18500's will fit in the space of a C-cell. They are thinner than C cells (18mm vrs 25mm), but the same length (50mm). The voltage will be about equal to a 3xAAA setup because the 18500 voltage will sag less. Depending on amp draw of course...

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Yes, I'm talking about 3AAA to 1C adapters. I don't think anyone makes a heavy duty one. Maybe Fivemega is listening! I thought I read that Sanyo would be making some to go along with their Eneloop rechargeables.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
fishx65 said:
I've been using some really cheap AAA to C adapters in my 2C Mag mod with good results. I got these adapters out of those cheap 3 led lights they sell at The Dollar Tree. They are very flimsy but they get the job done. Do any of you no were I could pick up some nice ones?

Thanks, FishX

Hey now, what kind of lights at the dollar store? I'd pick up a few to try it out. I have a Mag2C and a few 6-cell bulbs I'd like to try out.

deuscoup

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3 AAA to 1 C adapter in a Dorcy. It's a cheapy plastic adapter.

I would rather deal with in increased size of the 3 AA to 1 D personally for added capasity/dischargiblity.

I have had problems running rechargable cells in the 3AAA. It may be the cells.

I don't know where Lenmar sits, but I'd guess not near the top like Energizer/Sanyo rechargables.

fishx65

Enlightened
The Sween1911, The ones I'm using are from a cheap 3 led plastic light. They sell them at a store called "The Dollar Tree" for $1.00. They work fine but are very flimsy. I'm getting good results running them in a 2C Mag with a 5 cell bulb(Krypton). It seems just as bright with 6 AAAs compared to 3 123s. I didn't go the Lithium-Ion route because I've got a ton of rechargeable AAAs lying around. It's also nice to be able to throw some alks in it, if I ever need to. One more thing, I had to use a lighter spring from the hardware store to get the tailcap to screw in.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Blindasabat,

I bought some of those too. I wish I could forget that I bought them as quickly as they forget they were charged.

I've really got to take those things down to the recycling place. I think Fry's had them on sale during the 4th of July weekend or something, but they're really really bad. So I'd guess I've had them about 6 months, and probably charged them about 3-4 times and gave up when they self-discharged so quickly.

AndyTiedye said:
My Lenmar "No Mems" quickly forget that I charged them. :(

r0b0r

Enlightened
fishx65 said:
Yes, I'm talking about 3AAA to 1C adapters. I don't think anyone makes a heavy duty one. Maybe Fivemega is listening! I thought I read that Sanyo would be making some to go along with their Eneloop rechargeables.

Where'd you hear that Sanyo will be selling 3AAA-C ?
1.2V or 3.6V ? ... or are the Eneloops 1.5V per cell?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen them in the local supermarket and at Big W, I'ts an adapter that fits over the AA, to become a C Size, then there is another adapter that fits over C adapter making it
an D sized cell, they were quite flimsy, Sold in a two pack.

r0b0r

Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
I've seen them in the local supermarket and at Big W, I'ts an adapter that fits over the AA, to become a C Size, then there is another adapter that fits over C adapter making it
an D sized cell, they were quite flimsy, Sold in a two pack.

Are we not off the track a little? Those things have been available for many years... I remember throwing out a few (dead battery goo encrusted) atleast five years ago. They were probably around 10years old at that stage :p

An AA to C spacer I could not imagine would really have all that much benefit for our usage... would not C or SubC lithium\NiMH be the goer?
They're just spacers...

The OP was talking about the 3xAAA in series (3.6\4.5\10.8V) carriers... those things!
Ie: are there any decent ones with minimal resistance, or would one have to homebrew the packs.

Or maybe I didn't read the thread properly... *shrugs*

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool. I'm running my 2C as an around-the-house light with the Mag 2-cell Xenon jobby and two old Ratshack NiCads. The bulb is lightly "frosted" (600 grit sandpaper) and the reflector is sputtered. I like the idea of a rechargeable that gives me similar output to the 3x123 setup.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW will soon sell 3.7V Lithium Ion C-cells that will power an ROP very well. They will have a lot more capacity than the 18500 cells. Problem is they will probably be $20 each.
A nother solution would be two Lithium Ion 18650 (you have to remove the tailcap spring) that run ROP bulbs (Pelican 3845 or someting like that at Lighthound). ~$16 total for a pair. 7.2V, 8.4VMax. This is a common ROP or other high power hotwire battery solution.