How to buy shares from Nasdaq stock market?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how one can participate in the Nasdaq stock market. I want to buy some shares but I have no idea how I can enter this stock market. I live in Belgium, if that information is needed.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Cheers!

Carpenter

Enlightened
I'm not an expert in the matter, but you can't buy directly from Nasdaq.

You will need to work through a stock broker, or set up an account with an on-line agency. Not sure if you can do the on-line thing from Belgium. Maybe someone else can shed more "light" on the subject.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy shares of publicly traded companies, whether on NASDAQ, NYSE or AMEX by opening an account with a stock brokerage. Full-service brokers will charge hefty fees to carry out your order. (The theory is that they wil give you advice on which stocks to buy and give you access to analyst reports. Both of these services tend to be over-rated.) A discount broker charges far less and does not usually give advice and information on individual stocks.

I like to use Vanguard because it has a family of highly rated, consumer-friendly mutual funds as well as a low-cost stock brokerage. The brokerage side gives me the option of executing trades through a broker at a higher cost or executing all my trades by myself online, which is what I prefer.

You might want to read a consumer book or two on stocks before getting too far into it. A "Random Walk Down Wall Street," is a pretty good one to get started.

Good luck.

Josey

Phredd

Enlightened
Erasmus said:
I was just wondering how one can participate in the Nasdaq ... I live in Belgium

I'm able to call ETrade to buy shares in Europe and Australia, so I assume that your local broker would also be able to buy shares in the US. Give them a call.

Phredd

St8kout

Newly Enlightened
There are tons of brokers online. Just find one that suits you, open an account with a deposit, and any stock you want will be at your fingertips.

Fees vary so check around for the best deal. Some charge a monthly fee if you're not actively buying or selling, which eats up your funds, so watch out for this.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked with the brokers in Belgium to see if any of them can trade on Nasdaq? If not, you may have to open an account with a US securities dealer and may also need to open a US bank account. Generally there are brokers in most large financial centers that can execute trades or have arrangements with other dealers to do so, on all of the major exchanges.

Erasmus said:
Thanks for your input Carpenter :) Does anyone have more information?