SF Lanyard attachment ring...

hikari

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know a "non-destructive" method of removing the black plastic two piece lanyard ring thingie on the SF L1? I saw it in pieces, but can't figure out the angles of da dangles to undo it...

TIA for any info you can provide...

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
I had the impression they were designed to break-away. With enough "pull", the rings would snap apart.

I just put the black plastic lanyard rings on two of my L1s that did not have them on when I bought them. They just snapped together to install.

I figured you would just run the cord of the lanyard directly through the loop for the clip, and pull until it snapped off.

Now I wonder!

From Surefire web site...

"Z60
Includes both a lanyard and lanyard ring. The lanyard is made from gray 550 parachute-cord and is equipped with two cord locks and a cord fastener. For safety, the fastener is designed to break away if the lanyard or light is pulled on with extreme force. The polymer lanyard ring fits the groove in the flashlight tailcap."

Last edited:

alantch

Enlightened
I use a small jeweller's flat screw driver, then slowly and carefully pry them apart. Hope this helps.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
X-acto knife did the trick on my L1 and A2. Push it into the vertical seam and pry apart... Beware that the tip of the knife my break. However, now that mine's broken, it works even better because I have a flat edge to use.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding from Surefires' literature is that the fasterner on the lanyard would break off first when it is jerked forcefully. Or is it the other way around?!

InfidelCastro

Banned
That's what happened in oregon shooter's video. I haven't seen that mentioned in any literature though. From a design standpoint, it looks like the two pieces are supposed to flex and pull apart.

hikari

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for all the replies...Gonna try again with the X-acto blade (with safety glasses on...lol). IMO, the ring is clearly designed to break away under high or sudden force, the tongue and groove fastening certainly looks like it anyway. However the assembly is a bugger to remove without damaging it.

hikari

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm...how does one post the picture directly? I reaad the threads explaining picture posting, but still don't get it--sorry to be a dumb*ss... :-(