T4 Troubles

BullPar

Newly Enlightened
I dropped my Inova T4 and it quit working. I unscrewed the head and measured 33vdc across the led. seems abit high to me. Anybody know what Kind of led is in it. BTW I have the older style led with the trios.

Flashlight Enthusiast
you sure it wasn't 33 mVDC? Probably borked the LED and killed a wire in it or outside 33vDC may be open circuit voltage and it should drop considerably.

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
Um how did you gain access to the LED? I thought the head was press fit onto the body.

Illum

Flashaholic
AlienRFX said:
Um how did you gain access to the LED? I thought the head was press fit onto the body.

that applies to all other inova models...but the T4 has a kit that can replace the lens and o-rings if necessary...Im pretty sure the heads openable also...

im not a T4 owner, but thought the "accessories" of the T4 to be particularly intriguing:grin2:

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
I would sent it in for warranty repair but if you mess with it's innards to much they may say that you violated the warranty so I would not want to compromise that by trying to troubleshoot it yourself IMHO.
good luck,
Tom

r0b0r

Enlightened
My T3 ate asphalt... unfortunately the head is apparently quite affixed :(

I wish I knew if I could successfully re-attach the head after using the "freezer method" to pop the sucker open.

Why the hell did they RUIN a great light by preventing user access!?
The mind boggles... especially considering the bloody TIROS rattles around in there, all it would take is a bit of electrical tape to keep it snug!

Wah!

I talked to Inova and they said to send it back in to the US... I live in Australia so this is a pain. Especially considering they might not honour the warranty as it hit the floor... but they should be able to hold up to minor abuse...

BullPar

Newly Enlightened
The head of the T4 will unscrew. the Stainless end peice will also come loose. I thought it was all one peice myself but after it fell the head come loose, I mean it didnt take much muscel to unscrew. Now I did notice a red substance on the threads, probubly some sort of thread lock. I call'd Inove and they told me to send it in, so off it goes today. Unfortunatly I will be without my light for 4 to 6 weeks. I did measure 33vdc at the + terminal of the led. My guess is when I dropped it the boost circuit for some reason overvoltaged or somthing. I'm not sure what booster board it has.

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
hmm I've had similar problems with 2 t4's, First on stopped working. Got a waranty replacement from my retailer. 2nd one died and only worked after hitting the head hard. just got that one replaced and now have the one with the black bezel and tiros. It seems brighter than the first two, however I shall see how well it holds up.

r0b0r

Enlightened
These things should be able to withstand a bit of a beating, i mean seriously, they're meant to be work lights!

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I have dropped my T3 on the bitumen from about waist height (i was trying to put it back in the sheath in the dark and missed). It got a small chip on the casing from the bitumen but nothing more. I was concerned that it was going to go dead and after reading this am happy it is still going, i have always thought they were quite robust.

Illum

Flashaholic
r0b0r said:
My T3 ate asphalt... unfortunately the head is apparently quite affixed :(

I wish I knew if I could successfully re-attach the head after using the "freezer method" to pop the sucker open.

Why the hell did they RUIN a great light by preventing user access!?
The mind boggles... especially considering the bloody TIROS rattles around in there, all it would take is a bit of electrical tape to keep it snug!

they didnt ruin it...they perfected it by not allowing you to mod it and therefore retain its Inova secrets:grin2:

r0b0r

Enlightened
Freezer popped my T3 successfully and the emitter was cracked to smithereens!
The TIROS and circuitry are fine, except unfortunately it looks like the inductor has had its plastic head damaged, but the coil is still in OK shape.
Not sure if that was from the impact or the freezer poppage though.

Will do some testing with the SSC P4 and see how the TIROS plays with it.
Will probably remove the existing circuitry and whack a resistor in there for use with a single 17670 cell. Later on a flupic sounds like a good idea :)

If the TIROS won't play nice with the SSC then I'll grab a cyan or UV Lux3 and be done with it :)