Best 2 stage light low/high

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
Thinking of getting 2

SureFire L2 and a SureFire A2

These would be for EDC poorly lit tunnels underground work, the A2 came to mind because of the incandesent lamp, injuries look better under incans than LEDS. The LED makes it harder to see blemishes or changes in human flesh while under the incan, it just looks better to me.

Oh Yeah and the odd power failure I like the low output long runtime factor the NewOrleans posts here really had some great insight

Low output with that burst of bright light when needed really appeals to me

I probably should have broken my critieria down better but , , , ,

So any thoughts or suggestions welcome

This frig'n place is awesome !!

highorder

Enlightened
I like the fenix L2T for long running two stage light. I usually use the 123 body, but the L2T body more suits your needs.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire will be releasing their new Cree LED's lights in a few months (speculation- maybe even longer:rant: ) and I believe the two stage lights have great runtimes on both high and low. I know you said you prefer incand but it might be worth a look at them. Novatac/HDS will also be releasing the U120 hopefully sooner rather than later:rant: . If its similar to the HDS EDC U60 then there will be 4 programmable modes. The lower modes would give you looooong runtimes (a couple of days give or take). I personally love my new McLux PD-S (50 lumens/3 hours and 3 lumens/50 hours) but McGizmo is not going to be making them in aluminum anymore, only in titanium and it is still uncertain when they will be released :rant: (a small run of them just got sold out)

I guess the point of this post is that there are going to be some really awesome lights coming out in the next 3 to 6 months (my guess) that would suit your needs but if you can't wait go for one of the surefires you are thinking of. Certainly can't go wrong with them.:)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree about the A2. Second should be the L1. Waaay long run time on low, about 90 hours, but usually tests at ~140 hrs. The Milky version is very good, but will cost more than an A2. Another very good option is the HDS EDC. Even a B42 is a great light. Four levels with the lowest running for over a week I hear.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an E2e, G2 or 6P for your incandescent needs at work and a few multilevel LED lights for your long runtime, disaster preparedness needs, you have tons of choices for the LED ones...L1, L2, U2, Kroma, PD, Fenix, Jetbeam and so on.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Enlightened
What about the Streamlight TwinTask for LED-Incand light and/or the awesome TaskLight 2L 3W with it`s 2stage switch. Very long runtime and very useable light on low with decent output and throw on high!?
Have 2 of them (will buy another one as a gift for a friend) and like them a lot.

hikari

Newly Enlightened
For EDC, it'd be hard to beat a Milky ML1--if you don't like the LED tint, you may try asking him to use one of the warmer tinted LEDs which will give better color rendition. L2 (and even A2) are marginal for EDC due to size, IMO.