Mag questions: what's that brighter bulb? and where's the pos and neg at?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of Mag questions. I want to upgrade a couple of my 3D Mags with some cheap upgrades/mods.

1. What is that bulb (I think people said it's available from RadioShack or was it Pelican?) that's a cheap upgrade that's much brighter and a direct drop in?

2. When you take out the retaining ring and the bulb from the Mag 3D. What are the positive and negative connections? Is the bottom portion of the tube that the bulb sits in the positive? And is the negative the surrounding tube?

Thanks.

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
Well the Pelican Big D bulbs fit right in, not sure about direct drop in since if you use the high output you'll melt the reflector and lens, also they run off of higher voltage (7.2V) so 3D cells will not power it up.

Not sure what the other choices are... Maglite sells an upgrade bulb, but it only gives about 10more lumens.

And yes the center pin it positive, the outer edge/flange is negative

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought there was a Mag bulb that was a lot brighter. 10 lumens doesn't sound like much. I wonder if that's the same bulb I'm thinking about.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks dw51! Too bad RS discontinued the XPR103 though. I didn't see any at one local RS a couple of weeks ago.