Sl Survivor LED - will it replace the tl3? Beamshots included.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have argued like many other incan fans that leds were for indoors and incans are for the 'serious' lighting tasks once you leave the house... Well, I bought a Streamlight Survivor LED based on the reviews everyone gave it here and I have been verry suprised. Suprised that It can THROW. And suprised that I actually prefer it to my Streamlight Tl3 incan with AW 17500's rechargable lithium batts.

The survivor has a great white beam with a verry intense spot surrounded by a bright round sidespill. My house has a long 4 car (2 rows of 2 cars) garage. At 30 feet, the tl3's spot at its tightest focus covers 2 rectangle squares about 14" high. The survivor's spot is only 12" at that range. I believe that is due to its over 2&1/4" reflector. What I really like about this light is that it is not a "throw only" light. I hated my Inova t4 and t5 for their lack of sidespill. The survivor has ample spill.

To the beamshots...

First, some lights side by side:
[ IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14727031@N00/374206056/
The survivor's reflector next to the tl3's
[ IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14727031@N00/374206063/
Next the Survivor vs. MMag3AA (tightest focus) at 30'
[ IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14727031@N00/374206057/
Next the Survivor vs. the tl3 at a shooting range at 50 yards. I accidentily shot the bank of targets to the left of the ones I shot the tl3 with (it was dark and I did not catch it until the film was processed. This only added a yard or two to the Survivor's shot. I was using a different film than normal so the shots are somewhat over exposed...but in full manual for shutter and aperature and at 210mm of zoom.
[ IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14727031@N00/374206059/
[ IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14727031@N00/374206062/
And finally side by side at 4'
[ IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/14727031@N00/374206066/

I apologize again for the pics being a little overexposed. I am verry happy with the light though.
brad

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to make some additional comments about the survivor vs. the mmag and tl3 and t4.
The tl3 IS the brighter light. At least up close. Its beam also looks whiter than the film pics show. It only looks more yellow when compared to the white led. The survivor's spot is just much narrower giving it greater reach in my opinion. This is only an advantage at 40+ yards. From 20-40 the lights are very close, and closer than 20 yards, the tl3 does a illuminates more.

I went back to the shooting range tonight to take some more pics with my usual 100 speed film (instead of 400) and took shots at 30, 50 and 100 yards. I also walked up to the targets and took shots (while the lights were spotting them back at the bench). However, tonight was a (or about) full moon. I wish I would have thought of that before I made the 30 minute trip to the range. So I will wait a week or two and make a better attempt. Sorry.

The Survivor is noticibly brighter than the MMag 3AA even close up. At 30+ feet there is no compitition...even at the mags tightest focus. It simply blows away my old t4. I decided not to post that beamshot because I totally lost the lux lottery on that light and it has a VERRY purple beam which makes it look dimmer than it is.

Lastly, I just wanted to say that the Survivor is bright enough and white enough even at close ranges that I prefer it to my tl3..even with AW batts. The fact that it does not really dim for over 2 hrs. vs 25 min before dimming with the tl3 settles the battle for me. I just simply like its beam better. I cannot believe how much it reminds me of a mini search light. I highly recomend getting one.

WDR65

Enlightened
I too am impressed with the beam of the Survivor LED. It proved more useful than my TL-3 recently as its beam cut through misty fog better, I described this in more detail in a post of on the general flashlights forum. It hasn't replaced my TL-3 or my other incandescents yet, but.......I can see that in a few years I'll probably be all LED.

Danintex

Enlightened
The guys I work for just got 4 of the Survivor LEDs and am very impressed. I just have to wonder what a nice Cree or P4 could do. Anyone up for modding a Survivor?

Gnufsh

Enlightened
Danintex said:
The guys I work for just got 4 of the Survivor LEDs and am very impressed. I just have to wonder what a nice Cree or P4 could do. Anyone up for modding a Survivor?
I've got some SSC P4s and spacers onthe way, and I'm thinking of doing mine.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the two light each excel in their own qualities. The Survivor is a great LED, and one can only hope that Streamlight introduces a version that performs similarly in a conventional flashlight form factor in addition to the right angle light. It would be a real winner.

And I just remembered that there is also a TL3-LED. Don't know whether you were refering to the TL3 incandescent or the TL3-LED. If you were referring to the incandescent, then no, I do not think the Survivor would replace it, but that the TL-3 would remain a viable alternative to those who would like something that performs similar to the SureFire M3 at a more affordable price point.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyes,

I have the tl3 incan, the tl3 led is a lux5 but from what I have seen it is not driven verry hard. I believe Quickbeam's output #s put it as a flood with a greenish tint and much dimmer than a Sf l4.

if ever a light would be a instant hit, It would be a tl3 with a Cree led. I do not think streamlight could keep them in stock.