Any torchie gatherings inthe UK... I know a good venue!

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Are there any torchaholic get-togethers in the UK?
I know the ideal place to gather to show our wares.
Most of us torchies are into camping. You've probably heard me mention Nant Gwynnant in a number of torch testing reviews. Nant Gwynnant is the ideal place to test torches... its far away from sources of light pollution and nestles in the foothills of the Snowdonia National Park.
The camp ground is a riverside field which campers share with the sheep. Site fees are £2 per tent per night, which is collected by the site owner on his quadbike.
There are a number of mountain walks which can be accessed directly from the site itself.
This type of venue really brings out the best in any torch, and I can't wait to get over there with my 5W cyan modded torch! You get the chance to try out your torches in real-world situations!
If any torchies are interested in meeting at this venue, please e-mail me or use the Private Message system from this posting... in that way I can pick it up via e-mail!

Matt

EMPOWERTORCH

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's up North right?

What's wrong with trying out torches in London?!
wink.gif

Somewhere dark with sheep. £2 a night.
I'm interested but need more info...

Al
grin.gif

dirobesh

Enlightened
Ahem, somwhere in Scotland might be cool...?
smile.gif
. Seriously though, I'd be happy to go anywhere in the UK.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Hi there guys!
Nant Gwynnant is between Beddgelert and Capel Curig and may not appear on some road maps because it's such a small place! The road from Capel Curig is a really great run on a motorbike with lots of twistie turnie bits! You know when you've reached the village... it is lit by two high pressure sodium bulbs... the only external official lighting around for miles!
From Capel you head out towards Beddgelert. You pass by some mountaineering centres and then on the winding road which takes you to the valley floor. When you see the 2 HP Sodium bulbs, go on as if you want to carry on to Beddgelert. 200m after the second light you will come to a left turn which takes you over the river. Take this left turn and carry pon up the road until you see a shed-like structure. On your right is a cattle grid, take this turn over the grid and you will enter the camp site. You usually don't have to reserve a pitch, as the site owner will collect pitch fees.
I usally camp in the second field down in the far corner by the river.
It is important to use the raised causeway to get your vehicle down to the riverside. Although the terrain is more suited to trail bikes and landrovers you should be able to get a normal car down there as many do!
You will need to provide your own john!
There is a public john in the village, about 3/4 mile away!
Most people pitch a loo tent amnd there are facilities for emptying portable johns!
I have been to various parts of Scotland, and yes, they asre a torchaholic's paradise! I've been to Wigtownshire (are you a wigtownshirian dirobesh?) and up to a log cabin in Lochawe. Both of these times were in my pre-torchaholic days but I remember remarking at the night sky and how bright my modest filament torch appeared to be!

I thought it would be really cool to meet up with a few Uk torchies, may be during a bank holiday or a few days in the summer! If you know any more interested torchies let me know and I will arrange to e-mail some details!

Matt.

dirobesh

Enlightened
I've been to Wigtownshire (are you a wigtownshirian dirobesh?)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">.
Sort of, I live in a small coastal village in Wigtownshire but am a Bradfordian by birth. I'd never seen the Milky Way 'till I moved up here and Ive walked my dog on the beach at midnight, using the moon as my only light source - quite a magical experience which I never seem to grow tired of.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Suggested Dates for a Nant Gwynnant torchie gathering: 18-Apr-2003 to 21-Apr-2003
2 to 5 May 2003
22-25 aug 2003.
These are all bank holidays, but other weekends could be a possibility.
I am due to fly out to Sweden in March (Bobfest V) and I normally visit the States in Sep-2003.

Any suggested dates for the event?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, presently stuck up here by Aberdeen, but I can probably try to get there - even though I have no idea *HOW* I'll get there...don't think the car would appreciate a drive that long, and trains/planes are waaaayyy too expensive...coach is a cheaper, if boring alternative.

dirobesh

Enlightened
dirobesh, have you any suggested locations for a Wigtownshie torchfest?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry, I somehow missed this - There are a couple of possibilities round the Wigtown area that might be ok but it's a bit out of the way. How about somewhere in the Midlands maybe? That would make it easier to travel to by train as an alternative to car?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
There aren't many places in the Midlands that have low light pollution areas. Derbyshire is about the only place that comes to mind, or maybe rural parts of Lincs. Folkingham (Lincs) has a nice little camp site which is pretty well protected from light pollution. The village is on a bus route between Sleaford and Bourne, I think. There are rail stations at both these towns, and both are covered by the National Express bus network.
I shall travel by motorbike wherever the torchfest is held.

dirobesh

Enlightened
Folkingham sounds promising - I share the car with my girlfriend and whilst she's very good about my torch buying, being able to borrow it for the torchfest might be pushing it a bit....
shocked.gif

dirobesh

Enlightened
I think she gets enough of me waving them about at home - I don't think she'd want to travel down with me to Folkingham to see me do it...
frown.gif

Still I'll ask her later tonight when she gets in from work.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
O dear Dirobesh! Your girlfriend is not yet a torchie!!
Most of my friends of the female gender are facinated by torches, and at least 3 of them own an EMPOWERTORCH BT1. One (my mum) has a BT1 in green and a yellow BT2 and she always keeps a torch by the bedside to read by without disturbing Dad.
I suppose that a torchaholic has to compromise sometimes. Wigtownshire looks like the more likely get together point at the moment. I could motorbike up or catch an aeroplane from East Mids to Glasgow...believe it or not, its cheaper by aeroplane than by bus or train!

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Nant Gwynnant once again has become a possibility at Easter! Easter is quite late this year but that should ensure better weather. I have a friend with a van who might be going...I might be able to persuade him to transport my torch collection in his van! There might be some torches for sale as well!
Due in production soon: Landlux 3D and Benross 3D.
(All cyan).
BT2 cyan, green, red, orange, yellow, blue, white.
I'll see if I can do one of each colour before Easter for people to try out. These little torches put out some serious light for thier dimminuitive size! Do a bit of nightwalking with each one!
The Elektrolumens 5W cyan torch will be making a star appearance at Nant Gwynnant. This is probably one of the brightest solid state torches you will see in the UK, unless a Brit has bought Elektrolumens' Smith & Wesson torch with 2 five-watt luxeons! For those of you who have never seen a luxeon equipped torch in action, the blindingly bright beam will astound you!