Ok, so what is the best Long throw Cree light you can buy??

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a monster throw Cree light. What should I spend my hard-earned money on? Any recommendations? Beam shots? Help me spend money and make me happy!!!
Heli

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DX1 is a mid- to large-sized light, with a large head and reflector. The RV module (which isn't out yet) is the Cree version. You can already buy the light with a K2 or LuxV.

Link

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
What about this one? You didn't specify 'EDC'
rolleye11.gif

http://elektrolumens.com/Stunner-XRE/Stunner-XRE.html

Kees

eravau

Newly Enlightened
Matt,

Are you at least going to open a thread that we can subscribe to and "watch" for this announcement instead of hunting for your cryptic messages all over CPF? :)

-Eravau

daveman

Enlightened
Yes indeed, whatever you have in your sleeves to replace the striker must be announced through its own thread.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I've seen Matt pop up all around CPF with coming soon advertisements... I must admit though, there are some great lights I'd like to buy. If only you sold AW's 18650s or something of similar (or better) performance. :whistle:

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
Mattk Mattk, we want news we want news !!!!!

VOTE FOR MATTK
MATTK IS GOOD
MATT K IS COOL
Mattk Mattk, we want news we want news !!!!!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
MATTK sells the LG 2600mAh 18650 batteries http://www.batteryjunction.com/li18cyce326h.html which are very good. Not protected, but I have not had any problems, and his price is actually very good.
Why doesn't he sell RCR123 3.7v batteries? MATTK needs to look into getting some good ones.
Effulgence said:
Hmm, I've seen Matt pop up all around CPF with coming soon advertisements... I must admit though, there are some great lights I'd like to buy. If only you sold AW's 18650s or something of similar (or better) performance. :whistle:

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL - okay okay - I should be able to spill the beams er beans and start a thread tomorrow. I'm waiting on beamshots. :)

Effulgence - Not only do I carry the LG 2200, 2400 and 2600mah 18650's (perhaps the finest on the market for which we also sell PCB's you can self-install) but I also carry a fully protected 2200mah 18650 cell - which I sell for about 1/2 of what AW sells his for too for that matter. I've never tested AW's cells but ours come from the largest and most respected Chinese Lithium Ion Mfr - likely the same guys making AW's cells FWIW. We also publish the battery and PCB specs which I don't see many others doing.
LINK: http://www.batteryjunction.com/li18322mahre.html

FlashKat - I used to carry 3.7V protected cells but everyone kept asking for 3.0V cells so we made a major commitment with those. I'm working up an order for a bunch of new protected cells now and protected 16340's (3.7V's) are definitely on the list. FWIW I have contact AW about buying some cells wholesale but he's given Lighthound exclusive agency on his product in the US and since I already deal direct with major Chinese battery factories I'm certainly not going to pay for a cell that's been through that many hands when I can just get them made myself. We sell millions of batteries a year and that gives us considerable clout with the factories, something I don't suspect AW enjoys, which is reflected in his pricing.

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights like the P1D CE and D-Mini seem to be running the emitter fairly close to maximum. And assuming their reflector/lens loss is reasonable, this means the only way you'll get more throw is to focus the beam more tightly. As far as I know, that means a bigger reflector or maybe a lens. So basically if you want the most throw you should be looking for the light with the biggest reflector. Personally, I hit a point where the light is too tightly focused to be very useful. The D-Mini is just about at that point -- it's ok, but I wouldn't want anything narrower. So that's as much throw as I'm going to get until the next generation of higher efficiency LEDs appears.

c_c

daveman

Enlightened
Curious_character said:
Lights like the P1D CE and D-Mini seem to be running the emitter fairly close to maximum. And assuming their reflector/lens loss is reasonable, this means the only way you'll get more throw is to focus the beam more tightly. As far as I know, that means a bigger reflector or maybe a lens. So basically if you want the most throw you should be looking for the light with the biggest reflector. Personally, I hit a point where the light is too tightly focused to be very useful. The D-Mini is just about at that point -- it's ok, but I wouldn't want anything narrower. So that's as much throw as I'm going to get until the next generation of higher efficiency LEDs appears.

c_c
I agree with your take on the current state of LED throwers, except the P1D-CE driving the XR-E near its limit. I've read in another thread (I think the L1D LOD CE thread) that the P1D is only driving its led at ~800 mah???

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I would love to see Streamlight put a Cree in one of everyones all time favorite lights the Pro Polymer 4AA and the Survivor LED. These two already awesome lights would really rock with the Cree.

:)

adnj

Enlightened
MattK said:
heliyardsale: wait about a week if you want a throw monster - we have a little surprise coming. :)

Come on man, give us the scoop! Or should I just wait a week and still get a discount?!