Cree v/s Seoul

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, there must be a thread out there with finer details about this comparison, but I can't find it. I'm sure others will benefit from either a pointer to a similar thread, or a condensed report of the different pros and cons of the two leds - any one want to bite?

So the Seoul I hear has similar output pattern as Luxes, but beyond that (in terms of long-term durability, etc.) I have no clue. I can probably make either the Cree or the Seoul fit into the several lights I want to mod, but not sure if there are other considerations I need to think about besides cost and ease of soldering it in.

Thanks dudes.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The angle that the light comes out the SSC is more narrow than a Cree and the thermal resistance is higher for the Cree. I can't remember the numbers but comparing their Spec sheets will reveal it all to you.

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
I thought that the viewing angle of the cree is smaller, hence the need for a deep reflector. Please correct me if I am wrong.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are buying a commercial light, I would lean toward a Cree if the reflector is made properly.

If you are looking to retrofit a flashlight using a Luxeon I or Luxeon III, I would suggest the Seoul.

If the flashlight uses a K2 or a Lux V, it may received too much current and/or voltage for the specifications of either. You'll want to check that out first.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks EngrPaul - that is exactly the kind of experienced-based advice I was looking for.

Thanks Ganp for the links too.

LightScene

Enlightened
EngrPaul: "If you are looking to retrofit a flashlight using a Luxeon I or Luxeon III, I would suggest the Seoul."

Isn't it true that the Seoul has to be electrically isolated from the heat sink, but not thermally isolated? That seems like such a conundrum that I would hesitate to try it. I know that you can use a thermal epoxy for this purpose, but thermal epoxy is so inefficient compared to the way we couple a computer CPU to it's heat sink. I guess the proof is in the pudding, and you have a lot of experience with the P4's, so it must work well enough.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
I have just finished modding 4 lights with Seul leds. Its true you must think about isolating the slug but thats quite easy after a bit.

I use Arctic Silver adhesive and paint a very thin flat layer on the bottom of the led slug. Then when it is almost set but still a bit goey i use some standard AS and press the whole mass on to the heatsink (for easier removal later down the line) Works a treat.

It is soooo much easier to solder the Seul v's the surface mounted cree :) but that is my personal opinion :)