• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Phoenix Hotwire Project 13.2V 3000+ Lumen, Salvageable

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
In the summer of 2004, CPF member Ginseng made an awesome light, the 3000+ lumen "Aurora" Maglite-mod Hotwire. After he decided that he would not make copies of the light for the public, a few CPFers and I decided to make our own light.

I contacted members Nerd and theepdinker and planned to create three lights for ourselves. Nerd and I would design it, and theepdinker would machine the aluminum body parts. At first it seemed to be going well, but then it started slowing down after I ordered many of the components. After I sent 3 $15 Carley reflectors to theepdinker, he seemingly disappeared from CPF and was never seen by us again.

So now we had to machine the body parts by ourselves, albeit for only two lights. After a year of intermittent emails, we settled on our final design. Nerd bought some aluminum, but again, the project died. The rest of the parts have been sitting in my closet for too long, so I'm selling it on CPF hoping somebody else can either continue the project or just salvage the parts for other uses. Here's what's included in this package and how much I paid for them.

(3) 93mm-dia 2mm-thick antireflective UCL's - $45
(7) Osram HLX64625 12V 100W xenon bulbs - $15
(6) Osram HLX64610 12V 50W xenon bulbs - $20
(3) TP61 Ceramic bulb mounts - $20
(100) Black screws for bulb mounts - $10
(3) Willie Hunt's (from Surefire) LVR3I voltage regulator - $165
(3) LM117HP voltage regulator - $30
(8) Female and (5) Male deans plugs - $20
(2) 16-cell CBP 1650 AA packs - $70
(3) 16-cell CBP 1400 AA packs - $80
Aluminum solder and Flux - $10
Alumina oxide powder for thermal epoxy -$5
Around 6ft each high-wire count red and black 12AWG wire - $10
Also included: Shrink wrap for batteries, wire shrink wrap, some o-rings, circuit board blanks, 4 brass nuts/bolts and washers

Total: $500

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Chartforoverdriving.gif

Schematic.jpg

Basically, we wanted to use the LVR3I to downstep the 18-20V batteries into 13.2V to slightly overdrive the bulbs. The bulbs have been tested for 13.2V and work well for that voltage.

The LM117H were used to drive a ring of LED's around the reflector, but we got rid of the LED's for the final design.

I'm sure the Cheapbatterypacks CBP1650 packs are fine and will perform well after a cycle or two. Most of the cells in the CBP1400 packs are good, but I think one cell each on two of the packs are dead.

I'm asking for just $100 shipped. I know I'll have to take a big loss on this, but would rather know that some of these parts are being used instead of just having them sit in my closet. I've spent too much money and countless hours on this project, but I want to put an end to it once and for all. I'll include a CD with every associated file and email conversation between me and Nerd (so you can see what we were thinking). I accept Paypal, money order, and check. Thanks.

Last edited:

hawkz

Newly Enlightened
How come it's not gone already. I think this is a fricken bargain. Wonder why madmaxabeam or Mac doesn't buy it and make some more nice hotwires?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Somebody buy it then if it's a bargain! Take it off my hands please :)

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aroura was actually my inspiration to get into flashlight modding myself. Although i have never attempted to create a light from scratch myself. When Wilkey actually made a production run of a hotwire i was first on board and bought one. I love it. I hope whomever buys these components does justice to the spirit in which they were origonally gathered up.

Shane

Ctechlite

Enlightened
FNinjaP90 said:

... I'll include a CD with every associated file and email conversation between me and Nerd (so you can see what we were thinking). ...

I think that would be worth the price alone, I can't wait to hear back on this one!

In case you missed it earlier :takeit: !!!

Ctechlite

Enlightened
:paypal: I will do my best to continue your project Ninja. I can't wait to get a look at your notes! I just hope I do not end up :banghead: due to :stupid: . If I get :confused: :huh2: along the way I'll be sure to :thinking: about it some more before getting too :mad: or I may end up :dedhorse:

:ohgeez: :lolsign:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ctechlite said:
:paypal: I will do my best to continue your project Ninja. I can't wait to get a look at your notes! I just hope I do not end up :banghead: due to :stupid: . If I get :confused: :huh2: along the way I'll be sure to :thinking: about it some more before getting too :mad: or I may end up :dedhorse:

:ohgeez: :lolsign:

Most emoticons in a post ever. Let me know how you do with that project. Ive got a 14.4v one sitting right here :) Built my Ginseng himself.

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since Ctechlite has expressed an interest to continue the project, I will happily bow out and defer to him.

I was going to use the drivers in other projects, but he sounds enthusiastic, and I would love to see a high power regulated light!!

Bill

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the LVR31 regulator still available somewhere? I wanted to regulate my Mag623 with a Hotdriver, but the HD can't take that much power.