Ever had a cheaper light work better than an expensive one?

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Nexxtech Nuwai Q3 clone, and am slightly annoyed that a light that cost me a fraction of what my E1L did, actually puts out a better beam. I'm not up on all the technical jargon with torches, but from my layman's perspective the beam put out by the Q3 clone is pure white, and provides a large clear circular amount of light. Compared to my E1L, the beam is box shaped and has a few rings around said box. Now I'm sure durability wise the E1L wins out with the HA-III, and I'm assuming that it also has better runtime, but man I just can't get over how I reach for a $30 light more than my $80 one.

NAW

Enlightened
The higher the price of a flashlight doesn't mean its more better. That just means the Manufacturer has a higher price. :)

I personally have a lot of lights that are cheap and more powerful than my more expensive ones.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
As LED lights get cheaper, brighter, more efficient, and more common we'll be seeing this happen frequently. Just look at how many Fenix lights perform compared to the competition of old.

Geoff

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to accumulated several of those small form-factor LED lights, like the Fenix L1P, Nuwai Q3, one of those Coast tacticals, and a couple of others, but my favorite one in that size, and the one that I find myself using most often is a Dorcy Super 1 watt, which is the lowest priced one of the bunch.

Why do I prefer that one? It's the brightest and whitest of the bunch!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my MMag 3AA way better than my Inova t4 that I bought for over $100 when they came out. The mag has more overall output and a better beam. For less than $25.00

Traglite

Newly Enlightened
I also have a E1L and I fell in love with it when I first got it, but as I got more into flashlights and made some more purchases I realized that the beam on the E1L just isn't that practical. Its got great throw for a light its size and great durability, but for the price you can get 2 P1's, for example. I'm going to carefully plan my next flashlight purchase, thats for sure.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
We must also appreciate that manufacturers do incur costs for R&D. Clones etc spent least in this department and thus can offer a much lower cost price thus cheaper retail. I for one wouldn't consider a clone as I appreciate the manufacturers and the after sales service that can be offered. As design is concerned every product sold have its specific usage in specific environment. More we support the manufacturers the more better designed can be produced with the current technology has to offer. Of course products from the asian region tends to be cheaper than Europe or the continent.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sir, I offer the MagLED as the exception to the rule? ;)
Much as there have been many malcontent posts claiming things like late to market, copying someone else's design, etc., the reality of it all is that they were able to come out with a product that was not a direct drive like it's predecessors, had heat control circuitry, and was priced so that it would not scare away the mainstream consumer. While it's not a cheap as an LEDBeam 3C, I'm sure they'll last longer.

jumpstat said:
We must also appreciate that manufacturers do incur costs for R&D. Clones etc spent least in this department and thus can offer a much lower cost price thus cheaper retail. I for one wouldn't consider a clone as I appreciate the manufacturers and the after sales service that can be offered. As design is concerned every product sold have its specific usage in specific environment. More we support the manufacturers the more better designed can be produced with the current technology has to offer. Of course products from the asian region tends to be cheaper than Europe or the continent.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I seem to accumulated several of those small form-factor LED lights, like the Fenix L1P, Nuwai Q3, one of those Coast tacticals, and a couple of others, but my favorite one in that size, and the one that I find myself using most often is a Dorcy Super 1 watt, which is the lowest priced one of the bunch.

Why do I prefer that one? It's the brightest and whitest of the bunch!

I see I'm not alone. With it's great light and inexpensive price this light is the one I grab quite often for the late night trips outside for more firewood or like trips.

I know I'm overdriving it harshly with a Battery Stations RCR123 but it's not on for than a few minutesand for the price it's already served well and I expect will continue to do so.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also experienced the same, I recently purchased a LedLenser Hocus Focus,
it out shines and is of better quality than some of my other Tactical lights that I had
paid up to three times as much for.

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
guntotin_fool said:
the Maxfire from brinkman is just as good as the G2 in my mind and half the price.

I was in the market for a G2, but after reading your post and checking out older posts on the Maxfire I decided to go ahead and take the plunge on one. I'm really glad I did! In Canada they are called Noma, but that's the only difference from the Maxfire and the light this thing puts out is incredible for its size! I've heard that it can hold a P90 lamp and as I do have a spare one kicking around I'll give that a shot eventually.

Thanks for the heads up on a great light, and for saving me roughly 30 bucks in the process!:goodjob:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You also must remember that SOME of these cheap lights are made in countries that allow workers to be paid basically nothing and forced to work insane hours. That is also a contributing factor to some of these designs. However, I believe that Nuwai is from Taiwan and I believe they would have better labor laws than some of the other countries.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This easily happens when a MagLite Solitaire is involved. £10 ($19) will easily get you more torch for your money. For the same price, I could have 7 Aluminium LED torches, including batteries from Poundland. They are much better than the Solitaire.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think that the Taiwanese treat the citizens of their arch-enemy, China, better in the plants that they utilize to produce their lights? Actually I don't think Nuwai produces lights, they OEM them from a factory in China and resell them, just as Sears might OEM flashlights from Dorcy and puts a Craftsman brand on them.

Another example is the Apple iPod. They're manufactured in China under the management of a Taiwanese company. And I guess you heard about the controversy recently when there was some question as to whether the Taiwanese company and China were running a labor camp or a prison camp?

Isn't it amazing how the differences in political beliefs can be put aside when there is money to be made and workers to be exploited? :(

KDOG3 said:
However, I believe that Nuwai is from Taiwan and I believe they would have better labor laws than some of the other countries.

Glen C

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
You also must remember that SOME of these cheap lights are made in countries that allow workers to be paid basically nothing and forced to work insane hours. That is also a contributing factor to some of these designs. However, I believe that Nuwai is from Taiwan and I believe they would have better labor laws than some of the other countries.

Fair points Kdog, though I must say that many of my Australian friends are surprised when I explain to them that the richest country in the world doesn't provide free healthcare to all their citizens, nor even provide a months holiday to all its workers. Not having a go, just recalling the shock my friends have when I explain why a job with health care is valued more than a job without.

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Without digressing too far, I hardly consider the quality of the healthcare or vacation provided by an employer in the free world to be of simliar measure to the forced labor the Chinese use in most of the crap they send overseas.

That aside (or, actuall not) try finding a flashlight other than Surefire or Mag that is made in the US. At a reasonable price (which excludes Surefire).

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Glen C said:
Fair points Kdog, though I must say that many of my Australian friends are surprised when I explain to them that the richest country in the world doesn't provide free healthcare to all their citizens, nor even provide a months holiday to all its workers. Not having a go, just recalling the shock my friends have when I explain why a job with health care is valued more than a job without.

We can't afford it mate. Because we spend all that money supporing, feeding and giving medical aid to 96% of the rest of the world. God forbid we actually took care of our own instead of giving handouts to the rest of the world.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I felt the same way when I got my Luxogen LR12. I really loved my Jil 1.3w, and even though I preferred the wider beam of my Jil, and it's tint, the Luxogen was just so much brighter that I had to put it on my keychain instead of the Jil. Also, the Luxogen was ok to use with rechargeables, so that was another big factor. Replacing the Jil pained me a bit, as the Luxogen cost me less than $30 and my beloved Jil was $91 (shipped).