SL Survivor LED vs. New Mini D Which onethrows better???

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in both, does anyone have both lights? Can you tell me which one throws better??? I can only afford one light, they are priced fairly close to each other in price... Help me choose!!
Heli

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, but the Survivor LED is at home. I'll do a comparison for you as soon as I can.

That said, the reason that the Survivor LED is at home while the D-Mini is on my belt as I type this is that I like the D-Mini much more. It's smaller and doesn't go out when you shake it.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a beam shot comparison of the D-Mini (Shiny Reflector) and the Streamlight Survivor.

Left, D-Mini. Right, Streamlight Survivor

dsc04141smallhm0.jpg

Left, D-Mini. Right, Streamlight Survivor

dsc04138smalljp8.jpg

D-Mini (Shiny Reflector) @ 101"

dsc04136smallql6.jpg

Streamlight Survivor @ 101"

dsc04134smallyw3.jpg

D-Mini (Shiny Reflector) @ 101" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04137smalljg5.jpg

Streamlight Survivor @ 101" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04135smallve1.jpg

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like D-mini has better output may it be hotspot or sidespill. Nice small package as well...quite reasonably priced

How does it feel like in your hands?

Also, what about the clickie action compared to SFs'?

Thanks

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it looks to me like the Survivor LED actually has a slightly tighter hotspot, but I can't tell which is brighter. The D-Mini's spill is much brighter. The D-Mini also has more overall output.

The D-Mini is a very comfortable light to hold and use. Yay for it.

The D-Mini's reverse clickie is fine. I've never touched a SF clickie, so I can't compare.

steve_vance

Enlightened
heliyardsale said:
I can only afford one light, they are priced fairly close to each other in price...Heli

I have the SL Survivor (actually 5 of them, including two of the newest ones in BLACK); it's totally unique in my light collection; the right-angle ergonomics really grow on you.
BTW: they're NOT the same price; Fox-Intl.com has the SL for $43.95

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots and thumbs up on Mini D. I like my survivor (which does not shut off when shaken - apearntly they fixed the problem) but it is rather large to carry everywhere and I am always looking for the next brighter light.
Thanks also for showing me where to buy one!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just mentioned in another thread that I sold my survivorLED when I bought my D-Mini. I really like my D-mini, but I MISS my survovorled. The D-mini is brighter, smaller and Cree!. That being said, it runs 30 minutes on its rcr123a and then leaves me in the dark.

The SurvivorLED is about bulletproof, has the best switch of any light I have ever had. (feels the most solid and reliable) Will run for 3 hours and dim at the end so I know the end is coming. And is made to be used inside a burning building.

They are Different lights...and one really cannot replace the other. If I could only have 2 lights...One would be one of my Crees (I am not sure which one) the other one would be the SurvivorLED.

boef800

Newly Enlightened
also think about the fact,that the survivor quite easily can be seouled.Seouled it has on the lower setting(good 6 hours runtime) overall a good bit more output then the Streamlight 4AA Lux I would say and still definitly more throw.

Alex