Any Aquarist here?

Gran Nismo

Newly Enlightened
I need link to good Freshwater Aquarium forums. Also need help aquascaping since I use mostly fake plants for low maintenance. I have a healthy 55 gallon Freshwater. Looking to buy some drift wood and them holey rocks. I have read somewhere that the ebay bought one causes the water to tan out in color.

What are good live plants with low maintenance that does not need soil to grow. I just want to attach it to the drift wood, or on my tank terraces, etc.

- Thanks!

Roy82

Newly Enlightened
A couple of low maintenance plants that attach to rocks, wood etc are anubis and java fern. They're pretty hardy, slow growing plants. One of my local aquariums sells anubis already attached to driftwood, looks quite good. Java/spawning moss can stick to driftwood also, may need a rubber band to attach it until it sticks.

The driftwood will stain the water somewhat. It can be boiled or soaked for a while in a tub or bucket etc to reduce it, but I've never bothered. It depends on the individual piece, and it does reduce over time, but it can keep staining for a while. I actualy quite like the colour it gives.

I believe the holey rock can increase the hardness and pH of the tank, since it's limestone. So some fish may not like these conditions, others will love it. If you're tap water is already pretty hard from the tap, probably OK. Tap water over here is very soft, which I don't want to increase, so I don't add any limestone.

Haven't ready any fish forums for ages, used to read cichlid-forum.com, which was good, but cichlid oriented.