LED devices cause terrorism scare in Boston this morning

frenzee

Enlightened
Didn't they stop and think for a minute "who in his right mind would decorate a bomb with LEDs?" This thing looks like a gizmo out of a Dr. Who episode, LOL.

Crashking

Newly Enlightened
frenzee said:
Didn't they stop and think for a minute "who in his right mind would decorate a bomb with LEDs?" This thing looks like a gizmo out of a Dr. Who episode, LOL.

quite a few years back a kid was injured when he found a box wrapped as a present... and when he opened it... it blew up.... there was a bomb inside... you just never know what might happen with an unkown package

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fodder for the conspiracy theorists:

Is it very interesting that CNN was on top of this story all morning?
This was a promotion for the Cartoon Network?
Isn't the Cartoon Network owned by what was once Turner broadcasting, now part of AOL, Time-Warner?
Wasn't CNN founded by Ted Turner, and isn't it also now owned by AOL, Time-Warner?

cbdudley said:
And it was all just a high-tech marketing campaign:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html

Here's more technical info for those who are interested:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/31/led_art_ignites_terr.html

Tom M

Newly Enlightened
Apparently these have been around for days, but first came to be a cause of concern this morning. Local news footage shows the bomb squad detonating one of them. Throughout the day, additional ones were "found" and apparently were being treated as potential bombs, even after Turner's statement admitting they were ads. At 5:15, I was almost hit by a car with a blue light, but no siren, running a red light, and the 6pm news showed footage, of bomb squad, police, fire and EMS gathered around fenway park, while the sign was in clear view. I am dumbfounded that, after finding them all day, and Turner's statement, the authorities still are treating these as potential bombs.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Or at LEAST limit their purchase to just ONE a month.

After an extensive Background Check.

And perhaps a 5-Day waiting period.

And a Federal Database of Registered LED owners.

And let's put a STOP to those "dealers" who are brazenly

Selling LED's right outta' their HOMES ! <gasp>

Clearly, more Legislation is needed here . . . .

Both on the Federal, and Local levels.

Why would ANYBODY need to buy more than ONE LED a month ? !

rolleye11.gif
grinser2.gif
rolleye11.gif

(edited to add even MORE sarcastic remarks)
(sorry, just couldn't resist !)

Last edited:

Phredd

Enlightened
Burgess said:
Or at LEAST limit their purchase to just ONE a month.

Why would ANYBODY need to buy more than ONE LED a month ?

Wouldn't that change the lifestyle of just about everyone here! I don't think it was a conspiracy -- or at least not a good one. Everyone in Boston is certainly upset and they come out looking bad everywhere. The governor asked the attorney general to investigate what charges can be brought. I'm shocked that they didn't think to ask the mayor BEFORE they starting mounting these things on bridges and other public structures.

Phredd

Culhain

Enlightened
Connor said:
Ban LEDs, now.

Never !

The can have my LED when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Or maybe, 'When LEDs are outlawed, only outlaws will have LEDs. :lolsign:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny, a while back I saw a turorial on using conductive paint to make an LED flasher circuit on a stick on label. (It was linked in one of the forums, but I couldn't find it again) One of the pictures showed one stuck to a newspaper vending box and one of the comments posted by a reader was about the possibility of a bomb scare.

BionicSniper

Newly Enlightened
exactly

A normal person is going to be a lot more careful with an led than a criminal. Say you are in a store and here comes a bad guy with a led. If they are banned then thoses people wont have led's igther. But If some of them do have Led's then that bad guy will be stoped dead in his tracks.

Just be glad that the libtards and clinton are not in office

Zest

Newly Enlightened
I live in one of the cities where these went up. I thought it was just some ATHF fanboy trying something along the lines of Space Invaders. Pretty cool stuff.