LED choices for 3D mag

SK10

Newly Enlightened
I want to replace the incandescent bulb in my mag 3D with an LED. I'm looking for more max output than consistent output (as long as it lasts 5-10 min before dropping to 50%). I've done some searching but haven't come up with anything real conclusive. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. This one is at the top of my list at the moment. Are there any others that I should consider? I'm a noob at modding so I'm a little hesitant to do anything more than a drop-in. Thanks.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Sounds like the MagLED should fill the bill for you. Don't know why you would want a direct drive module instead. I think you'll find that the Mag will cost you less, and if there's any problem with it (or you just don't like the tint,) you can just take it back to the store and get another one on the spot. That is seldom a option when you're buying something from a mail-order vendor.

SK10 said:
I want to replace the incandescent bulb in my mag 3D with an LED. I'm looking for more max output than consistent output (as long as it lasts 5-10 min before dropping to 50%). I've done some searching but haven't come up with anything real conclusive. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. This one is at the top of my list at the moment. Are there any others that I should consider? I'm a noob at modding so I'm a little hesitant to do anything more than a drop-in. Thanks.

SK10

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. How's the output of the MagLED compared to the others? I have a couple friends with MagLED upgrades and was wondering if there was anything with more lumens.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
not sure I agree with the proposal to go with Mag's own LED. I have the exact Diamond-made Luxeon K2 drop-in module for a 3xD Mag. It works great.

In terms of power, it is rated at 100 throw (with the reflector focused for max throw). This is one of the highest (if not the highest) available in Quickbeam's list of hundreds of LED flashlights.

I think it is also higher wattage than the MagLED.

It is true that it is not regulated, but because you use 3xD cells, it goes on for hours and hours at high output. It declines fairly slowly. So you could argue that for this formfactor having a regulator is just unnecessary complication and something that could break down.
If you like the 3xD Mag formfactor, this is one cheap and great solution that even the best recent flashlights generally approximate, but do not surpass, in power.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
This place tends to fill up with a bunch of "mine is best" type responses sometimes when such questions are asked, in addition to maybe a few dealers who will offer to accommodate your needs. Perhaps it would be best if you took a look at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_ledbulbs.htm and also the throw/output charts on that site to give yourself some reference spots while evaluating all the responses that you'll be getting.

And also, Welcome to CPF!

SK10 said:
Thanks. How's the output of the MagLED compared to the others? I have a couple friends with MagLED upgrades and was wondering if there was anything with more lumens.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's best to give him the tools so that he can research and decide for himself.

Personally given the small delta in performance between the Mag and the K2, even though it consumes twice the power, cost twice as much, and that merchant is know to have a pretty hefty shipping and "handling" charge, I'd be inclined to pass on it, but if the slight difference is an absolute necessity then it would certainly be an option. I'm not even sure if those measured differences are even visable to the average eye in a side by side comparison.

flashy bazook said:
not sure I agree with the proposal to go with Mag's own LED. I have the exact Diamond-made Luxeon K2 drop-in module for a 3xD Mag. It works great.

In terms of power, it is rated at 100 throw (with the reflector focused for max throw). This is one of the highest (if not the highest) available in Quickbeam's list of hundreds of LED flashlights.

I think it is also higher wattage than the MagLED.

It is true that it is not regulated, but because you use 3xD cells, it goes on for hours and hours at high output. It declines fairly slowly. So you could argue that for this formfactor having a regulator is just unnecessary complication and something that could break down.
If you like the 3xD Mag formfactor, this is one cheap and great solution that even the best recent flashlights generally approximate, but do not surpass, in power.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I certainly cited the flashlight reviews results you mention, the particular Diamond K2 drop in gets excellent review and as I mentioned remarkably strong throw measurements.

I wasn't typing in "mine is best," although as I mentioned I do have it, it is because first I did the research and examined all the available options as best as I could, and only then ordered this option.

Mag's own offerings have been rather behind the curve, as the reviews show. Also, if you already have an incan Mag, you should certainly check the alternatives, but you have more freedom in not having to buy Mag's own LED offerings from the get go.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have it, are you able to distinguish much of a difference between the Diamond product and the Mag? Or did you just get the Diamond?

Quite honestly, I can't see that much difference between the two, but I'm probably going to take it out to some place like a football stadium to see how much difference there might actually be in the throw if any. (those yard lines are handy for reference :) )

flashy bazook said:
well, I certainly cited the flashlight reviews results you mention, the particular Diamond K2 drop in gets excellent review and as I mentioned remarkably strong throw measurements.

I wasn't typing in "mine is best," although as I mentioned I do have it, it is because first I did the research and examined all the available options as best as I could, and only then ordered this option.

Mag's own offerings have been rather behind the curve, as the reviews show. Also, if you already have an incan Mag, you should certainly check the alternatives, but you have more freedom in not having to buy Mag's own LED offerings from the get go.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, I don't have both! but if you do get some beamshots of each and post them, I'll be very interested in looking at them.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. I might take them out to a golf course at night (closer.) Don't know about beamshots but I should be able to find out how much of a difference in throw there is just using one of the Par 3s, I don't think either module is going to reach 100 yards.

From the numbers that Doug has at FLR, I'd guess there probably isn't much more than maybe a 10-15 yard difference, hence my reservations about a module that is drawing twice as much current (not that I would expect it to throw twice as far :) .)

flashy bazook said:
no, I don't have both! but if you do get some beamshots of each and post them, I'll be very interested in looking at them.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TerraLUX TLE-6K2 MaxStar5 in my 3D M@G, its is slightly brighter than the stock bulb and much whiter, it works best in 4-6 Cell M@Gs