What is the diff between Cree and Seoul?

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
I have an ML-1 coming from Milky with a Cree P4. I am already thinking about modding another L-1, and Scott suggested a Seoul P4.

Can you all fill me in on the differences between these two emitters, and how they are likely to differ in a Milky ML-1?

Which one should have a better flodd pattern in a McR18 reflector (I think this is what Scott will use)?

Please be kind and help a old analog guy learn about LEDs!

Thanks!

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've read, I think the difference is that the Seoul has a more Luxeon-like radiation pattern than the Cree.

But don't take my word for it! ("Take a look, it's in a book...")

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
From what I've read, I think the difference is that the Seoul has a more Luxeon-like radiation pattern than the Cree.

But don't take my word for it! ("Take a look, it's in a book...")

Reading Rainbow! (sorry, couldn't resist)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree is suppose to have a wider beam pattern, but the Seoul is a little brighter with a tighter spot. I like the Cree's if you have the right reflector, because the Cree's may have a yellow ring and a darker outer circle if the reflector is not right. The Seoul's are suppose to be more forgiving. My next mod I am going to try is the Edison Opto LED.

amanichen

Enlightened
Also, according to some side-by-side beamshots posted here, the phosphor application on the P4 seems to produce a blue-tinted beam (think like a pale SMJ-led) while the Cree application is much closer to white.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The seoul is more efficient it puts out more lumen at a given current than the cree. The seoul has a soft jelly silicone primary lens. The cree is more robust including a glass primary lens and a silver plated copper retaining ring. The cree produces a terrible RING in it's beam and the seoul doesn't.
They both use the same underlying technology.
See threads by newbie for more information on both parts.
Yaesumofo

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Yasuemofo. I went back and read some of teh threads.

I think I'll stick with the Cree for now. What to see how the Seoul shakes out.