try my hand at a simple review. Palmblaze K2 from batteryjunction

aml

Newly Enlightened
Im new to the addiction, so i only have a few LED lights to compare this thing to. This is the first time i have ever given a review of a flashlight, or taken beamshots.

I will preface these pics by saying i am DAMN impressed with this thing.

Ok, here is the palmblaze, the INOVA x5, and a cheapie walmart DORCY 1 watt LED
14225IMG_7989.jpg

More or less identical size to the INOVA x5

44512IMG_7991.jpg

Here are the beamshots of the
Palmblaze, INOVA and the DORCY, in that order.

01310IMG_7992.jpg

Here, against the cieling, in reverse order.

42331IMG_7994.jpg

kemil_30

Newly Enlightened
Good job AML, thanks for the pictures, really helped me alot. I am defintely getting one.

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
thank for your great beamshot pictures !

It's incredible the pure white color and the bright !

OceanView

Enlightened
Thanks! That was useful. That comparison with the X5 really helps me understand the size of the Palm Blaze.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
That square beam is soooo cool! It's hip to be square!

That ribbed shape with glossy finish is the coolest, too.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Too much arctic silver fumes there Paul? :)

There are no fumes from AS.

But maybe I shouldn't lick my fingers... :crazy:

aml

Newly Enlightened
id say my only gripe with this light is the slickness of the ANO.

Id like to see a coarse beadblast on the Aluminum before anodizing. make it a little less slick.

mhubble

Enlightened
id say my only gripe with this light is the slickness of the ANO.

I felt the same way, way too slick. So I beadblasted the two that I have and refinished them with FLAT BLACK DURACOAT. I let it air dry for about an hour then I hung it up and turned it on letting it get really hot. Its really helped cure the finish from the inside out. THis morning I hung it up again with a fresh set of batteries and turned it on. Its been on for over 3 hours now and it still has very usable light. The surefire batteries dont seem to get the light as hot as the duracells that came with it did. Out of all the lights ive bought in the last year this is my favorite. Cant wait for when the large head version comes out.

p2040005za7.jpg

fineday

Newly Enlightened
Good job aml, pictures and beamshots are really nice.

And that square beam :huh: What a great shape! Looks so cool.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a sample with a flat black anodization - I'll speak to the factory and maybe we'll switch over to that finish from the bright anodizing for future orders based on the input here.

mhubble

Enlightened
I have a sample with a flat black anodization - I'll speak to the factory and maybe we'll switch over to that finish from the bright anodizing for future orders based on the input here.

Thanks Matt that would be great.

Whats the word on the large head version of this light?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting on a new sample with a different switch still- hoping to get it before Chinese New Year.

They did just send me a Cree light sample which is just beautiful - 2 CR123A, 2 stage reverse clicky and retail around $45-50. The sample came with a micro-arc anodization which while very nice increases the retail for high $50's so we'll be ordering them with Type II black as anyone wanting a light like this with HA would be better served with a LumaPower M1 for a few dollars more.

Lightmax

Newly Enlightened
MattK said:
They did just send me a Cree light sample which is just beautiful - 2 CR123A, 2 stage reverse clicky and retail around $45-50. ]

Anyone have any idea how much brighter the Cree version would be? How much additional run time?

aml

Newly Enlightened
kemil_30 said:
Can I use two 3.6 RCR123 on this one?

there is a guy on ebay that is selling the palmblaze in a package with RCR's and a charger. so i guess so?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightmax - the Cree light is completely different in the way it output's it lumens as it's got a traditional hotspot/spill. I'd guesstimate lumens are also in the 130ish range.

aml - I find the RCR123A's get quite hot in these lights in runtimes over like 10 minutes so we're not currently making it a suggested combination.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt, I am considering purchasing a Palmblaze and am just curious to know in your opinion how consistent is the tint on these lights? I know that my 4 Cree lights seem to have exercised the tint demons as they all have a white beam with no discernible tint. However, Luxeon lights have the proverbial lotto shot in the dark problem. Of course, for 39.95 you really can't go wrong. Your comments would be appreciated.

Paul

:candle:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Paul,

I've really only spent time with three of them - the preproduction sample and 2 production units we use for demo's and to my eyes they're quite similar. I cannot recall any complaints at all due to tint. The 3 that we have open all run pretty white.