What head does the SF L2 have on it?

pietruck

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering What head does the SF L2 have on it?

It doesnt appear marked.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The L2 head. It is only used on the L2 and houses a LuxV without any electronics. It is a dumb head. The magic of the L2 is in the body. The head will not work with other SF lights.
bernie

Tuna

Newly Enlightened
If I understand and feel free to correct me, the regulation of the L2 is located in the body of the L2, not the head. While L4 digital regulation is located in the head.

greenstuffs

Banned
Kiessling said:
The L2 head. It is only used on the L2 and houses a LuxV without any electronics. It is a dumb head. The magic of the L2 is in the body. The head will not work with other SF lights.
bernie

The head does work with E2E and works at full brightness.

rycen

Enlightened
Yes it wiil but you are direct driving the led and fun the risk of blowing the led.

pietruck

Newly Enlightened
You folks caught my drift.

I was thinking it was one of the KL's

What are the chances of blowing the head when on an E2E?

Does the L2 head create any resistance on full power?

The E2E would be supplying 2 CR123's of juice as well.

Thanks

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
There are some errors in this thread that need to be addressed. Sorry to step on anybodys toes.

The L2 head will fit and work on a E2E. It will not be at full brightness with 2x123 primarry cells. With 2x123 primarry cells it is about equal to a Surefire U2 on level 3 or 4.

I recommend against using 2xRCR123 with a L2 head in a E2E body. I tried it for a few seconds and does work and it's very bright, but 2 CPF members have let the magic smoke out of the Luxeom V by using this setup.

If you want more information on this setup do a search for E2L Error lights. At one time Surefire shipped a bunch of lights that were supposed to be E2L, but many in the shipment had L2 heads instead of the KL1 heads.

I had read about a CPF member that bought a E2L with what was probably a L2 head at a military store.

I was talking to Dan Legg at Tactical Warehouse at a later date, when he told me he had recieved some E2Ls with reflectors. I told him what I thought these might be and that collectors might want them. He looked closer and saw that they were infact Luxeon V. He talked to someone else and then decided to sell them on CPF rather than return them to Surefire. I think there were 50 lights in the order Dan recieved and 46 of them were "E2L Error" lights. I bought one of the "E2L Error" lights and it is in fact a L2 Head.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
pietruck said:
I'm wondering What head does the SF L2 have on it?

It doesnt appear marked.

The head of the Surefire L2 says "CAUTION: HOT SURFACE". There are no other markings on the L2 head except there is a symbol for heat centered right above the word "HOT". The heat symbol has three vertical wavy lines inside a triangle.

The markings are the same on both the old and new style L2 that I have, as well as the E2L Error light.

pietruck

Newly Enlightened
I meant marked the way the KL's are.

Can anyone tell me why driving the LE on 2 primaries in an E2 setup won't let it push the full lumens?

Thanks again

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The KL1 and KL4 are sold as accessories in addition to being part of the L4 or E1l/E2L.

The L2 head is only sold as part of the L2.

I assume that the L2 head has no markings because it isn't sold as an accessory, but they are what they are. The L1, A2 and the incandescent heads also have no "markings" like the KL1 or KL4.

The L2 head isn't driven at full brightness on 2x123 because a white Luxeon V needs about 7.2 volts. Two primary 123s are 6 volts, so you need a boost circuit to boost the voltage to the required voltage for full brightness. I don't know enough about electronics to explain it better except that the KL4 is driven at about 660ma and the L2 is driven a little harder. I know I just went from volts to amps. Maybe someone else will explain it better.