Paralysis by analysis!!! Light choice help!

RIDE

Enlightened
Hey gang....looking for some direction from you all.

I have been reading through this site seemingly constantly for a while (I can't see straight anymore!), and have my light choices narrowed down to a couple. I have a few minis (Draco, Fenix, Orb)...but am looking for something bigger to keep with me for multiple use...emergency, safety, etc.

I have it down to either the Surefire U2 or Surefire M3. Two different lights I know...but I think they both fit pretty much what I am looking for. The M3 has a bit more oomph, but the U2 seems more versatile.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance gang!!!

RIDE

paulr

Flashaholic
Totally different, the M3 is a tactical incan shock resistant enough for use mounted on a firearm, the U2 is a general purpose LED light. Sort of like "I'm trying to choose a vehicle and I have it down to the Mazda Miata sports car and the Ford F150 pickup truck".

If "emergency, safety" means power outage and car breakdown, the U2 makes much more sense. If it means tactical combat, think M3. CPF motto: buy both.

SunStar

Enlightened
Agree... two different animals.

I have both and use both in entirely different manners.

Both are great!

Yep... buy both.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy both. Personally I'd go for the U2, but I would hold off until the Cree version comes out. You could get a M3 and one of those Cree based tower modules... longer runtime, flat regulation, insane brighness.

RIDE

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Yeah I know...it's not an even comparison as they are both very different. I am leaning towards the M3....I know that there is no official word on the Cree version of the U2, so the M3 will get me by until then :)

KDOG3...can you steer towards the tower module you mention?

Thanks!

RIDE

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Since you are interested in the M3, how about a 9P with an additional LED head?

You'd have both lights.

I LOVE my M3. It is my "bump in the night" light. Great form factor, and with MN10s in it, it will run nicely for about an hour.

Never had a U2, but it is pricey, and has some niggling problems.

JMHO, YMMV.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF RIDE!

OpticsHQ is in San Francisco. I don't know if they have a traditional "bricks and mortar" store but if they do it might be worth your while to stop by and check out the lights before purchasing. For what a M3 costs you can get a 9P, KT2 turbohead, and a KL3 LED module. Much more flexability.

I love my Surefire incans.

kelmo

RIDE

Enlightened
kelmo said:
Welcome to CPF RIDE!

OpticsHQ is in San Francisco. I don't know if they have a traditional "bricks and mortar" store but if they do it might be worth your while to stop by and check out the lights before purchasing. For what a M3 costs you can get a 9P, KT2 turbohead, and a KL3 LED module. Much more flexability.

I love my Surefire incans.

kelmo

Thanks a ton kelmo!!! I will see about checking them out.

RIDE

DM51

Flashaholic
When you've bought them both, let us know and we'll be only too happy to suggest a whole selection of others you will need. Because sooner or later, you will realise you need them. You will, you really WILL...

Welcome to CPF!!!

RIDE

Enlightened
DM51 said:
When you've bought them both, let us know and we'll be only too happy to suggest a whole selection of others you will need. Because sooner or later, you will realise you need them. You will, you really WILL...

Welcome to CPF!!!

Trust me...unfortunately I KNOW you are right!!! Things like this are NOT good for us excessively complusive types :drool:

Thanks for the welcome!

RIDE