I Have Seen The LIGHT!

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
Hi Gang,

I'm a newbie to the forum....I was referred here from the 1911 Forum while looking for info on flashlight options.

Anyway, I purchased my first *real* flashlight, a Surefire 6P, which arrived yesterday, and I am CONVERTED!

As an active pilot, I carry 7 (yes, seven) flashlights in my bag & in my airplane, ranging from a 4-D-cell maglite to a single AAA-cell micro-maglite. Some with red filters, some without....and I must say, the Surefire blows them all away!

I just wanted to say "hi" and thanks to all of you at candlepower forums for literally opening my eyes, and helping me to admit it...yes...even unknowingly...I'm a flashaholic.

I look forward to learning from all of you how to make myself more effectively nocturnal, and how to prepare (in style) for that inevitable in-flight total electrical failure. Nice to know there are more flashfreaks out there besides me!

Cheers,

/TCP

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome. The 6P is a great light. I had one but now use a Surefire E2 or M3.

As a fellow flashaholic I must do my duty and convince you to buy another flashlight.
tongue.gif
You should consider an LED flashlight for your next purchase. Not bright like your 6P but great for up close lighting & very good on battery life. An ARC AAA or ARC LS may be in order. As an LED flashlight will compliment your 6P.
smile.gif

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
Oh NO!

See, you've done it already. Sean, I would have seen your reply sooner, except I was online ordering a Surefire D3 (hey, anything that good with two batteries must be half again as good with THREE!.....someone HELP ME!!!).

I have yet to explore the world of LED flashlights...but it's a-comin'!

/TCP

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
Jeez, you're killin' me...

Sean, $160 for the ARC-LS? Yikes! Looks good though, and I like the interchangeability of batteries. Time to save up....

/TCP

brightnorm

Flashaholic
TCPilot,

Welcome to our unique group of happy obsessives.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TCPilot:
Jeez, you're killin' me...

Sean, $160 for the ARC-LS? Yikes! Looks good though, and I like the interchangeability of batteries. Time to save up....

/TCP
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, You may have just missed it but a bunch of us just bought ARC LS "seconds". These have minor things wrong like body color mismatch, beam alignment not 100% etc. These were only $70 for the whole kit! Quite a bargin!

OR, Consider getting the ARC AAA from a good online dealer like Texas Tactical HERE

Actually since you have to buy 123 batteries anyway you should probably get the Inova X5 LED flahlight, very bright for the price & size, runs on 2 CR123A's and you can put your old Surefire batteries (once the light starts to get yellow) in it and run it for "free". You will get about an hour or so of good brightness out of your used batteries in it. Get a new X5 (white LEDs) for $36.50 delivered from here.
You won't find them any cheaper, I don't think.

Your getting a D3?? Get the M3!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
D3? M3?

OK, OK, easy! I'm running out of $$!

Keep in mind, also, that all of this is so new, my 6P light is still white....if not for you guys, I wouldn't even know that it gets yellow when the batteries start to die.

Brightnorm, thanks for the kind welcome. I feel at home already
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Maybe there will be another chance for me to grab one of those ARC factory seconds...

/TCP

K-T

*Moderator*
I have a question concerning the ARC-LS factory seonds? Do I have any influence on what I get, eg. one with bad color machings or focusing problems? I wouldn't care for color mistakes but focusing problems might be a bugger?! Any comments?

Klaus.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K-T:
I have a question concerning the ARC-LS factory seonds? Do I have any influence on what I get, eg. one with bad color machings or focusing problems? I wouldn't care for color mistakes but focusing problems might be a bugger?! Any comments?

Klaus.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could email Peter Gransee and ask him what problems are most common. I would say that from mine and what I have seen of others that the main problems are:

Beam not perfectly centered (most lights are not 100% anyway)
Bad color matches
Minor flaw/scuff in finish/knurling
Beam color not perfectly white or has "blotches" in them

The beam color and blotchiness are common to Luxeon LEDs and are not ARC's fault. They must sort them out and use the best ones, Lumileds will not sort them. If you bought some Luxeon LEDs and played around with them you would see that none are perfect but all are bright and much, much better than mag-lite quality! I would say that none are really "out of focus". I mean look at regular nichia LEDs, they are all kinds of colors, blue hotspot w/green surround, etc.

Take a look at my website if you want to see what a ARC LS second looks like and how the beam quality compares to a 2AA mini-maglite.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TCPilot:
D3? M3?

OK, OK, easy! I'm running out of $$!

Keep in mind, also, that all of this is so new, my 6P light is still white....if not for you guys, I wouldn't even know that it gets yellow when the batteries start to die.

Brightnorm, thanks for the kind welcome. I feel at home already
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Maybe there will be another chance for me to grab one of those ARC factory seconds...

/TCP
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

grin.gif

6P will get a little yellow in it when the batteries run down. It will stay white for most of the battery life though.

Let us know how things go & welcome aboard!
cool.gif

RevJim

Newly Enlightened
I was sleeping while you guys were writing! Fair warning, I'm awake now!
Sean said - <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>OR, Consider getting the ARC AAA from a good online dealer like Texas Tactical HERE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> He's right. Keep this one with you all the time. It is very small but packs a big punch. Also, it costs peanuts to your two first Surefires. The Inova X5 is a great light and the Surefires will give you batteries to use. (The LS will run on one 123 battery.) Order the Arc AAA today, then give in and order an Inova X5 after the Arc arrives. You won't be sorry. Welcome aboard.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey tc,i would get an inexpensive led light.the brinkmann rebel comes with filters(red,blue and amber)but the optics in the head try to make the beam useful but it is better with out. it's a great task light with it's nice round beam. good luck in your travels(and with flashlight decision
grin.gif
)later,josh
PS... if you are here your already gone past the point of no return
grin.gif
next, step sure fire DB

D

**DONOTDELETE**

TC,
Welcome to our group. I'm sure our influence will eventually make you purchase many more lights! Just wait until the Surefire Aviator comes out!! P60 lamp plus three white LED's in the bezel.

Eric

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
tc pilot please check your private messages Go under "my profile" at the top of the post thread

Darell

Flashaholic
Here's Darell, late to the welcome wagon as usual.

Once you fire up the Arc AAA next to the Mag Solitaire, you'll be wondering just what it was that you found useful about the Solitaire. The Arc AAA is smaller, brighter, longer-running, tougher, whiter light, better beam... well it is better in all areas except price.

You'll want to save up for the Surefire A2 Aviator as well....

This must be what folks at the bank felt like during a hold up.

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
Too late, the D3's on the way...

..but I did order the P61 lamp for my 6P, I'm curious to see how bright that will make things.

On hindsight, I wish I wasn't so excited about the D3 and had waited for your advice. The ARC LS looks like a fantastic light, and I think I blew it by getting the D3 instead. Oh well, I'll try for a second in a week or so if they're still available.

Darrell, thanks for the kind welcome. I'm really looking forward to my ARC AAA!

/TCP

RevJim

Newly Enlightened
Well done! Excellent purchases on the Arc AAA and the Inova X5. We'd love to hear how you feel about them after they arrive.
smile.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
TC,
You'll like the P61. Nice bright, round beam. That's what I keep in my M2. TX

Lonewolf

Enlightened
TCPilot welcome aboard. Arc also makes a red AAA. If you need any more help deciding what to buy go here for reviews:

TheLedMuseum

The reviews are so sought after NASA reads Craig's website.