cave exploring. need light advice.

jayhackett03

Enlightened
well, we think we've narrowed it down to this for a headlight...

http://www.action-lights.com/flashlights/streamlight/hands-free-flashlights/argo-hp-led.asp?bhcp=1

now, since we're going with 123 cells for a headlight, for a hand light we're probably gonna go with 123 cells also. unless you would suggest not going with 123, and just carrying C cells also (my brother wants the Streamlight Propolymer 3C really bad). what light would you recommend. medium brightness. runtime is an issue (so no surefire g2). possibly 4 to 5 hours runtime, possibly. something like the Streamlight Propolymer 3C Luxeon, but with 123 powered.

this light will be used in very very rough conditions. heavy mud, water, rocks, etc.

Last edited:

jayhackett03

Enlightened
well, true. but we're looking at a $100 maximum for both lights total. so, $70 for this light. and the light has to be TOUGH.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
for rough conditions, you might want to get a plastic body instead of metal. plastic will take bumps and drops better plus it'll feel less cold holding it then metal. you can also get helmet mounts as well since i'm assuming you'll be wearing one. Streamlight, Pelican or UK light would be a good choice for using C cells. those brands are within the price range you're looking for. each person should carry at least 1 or 2 backup light with fresh cells per person. even a ARC AA, mini Mag or a Photon type light would be better then nothing.

FatTony

Newly Enlightened
I use a PT Apex headlight and the Streamlight Propoly Luxeon 4AA as a hand torch when I'm exploring. I keep a Fenix L2T as a backup and a keychain single LED (freebie from light hound) for an emergency reserve, plus I tend to carry a really bright incan for lighting photos.

The PT Apex really is an amazing light, I find myself using the 4x LED's on high most of the time because they give such good flood when underground. It's also taken a good bit of abuse without complaining.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I'm not really sold on Lithium batteries for caving use... don't they give off hydrogen gas (and lots of it) if they get wet? Not that that's a bad headlamp or anything, just something to think about.

Personally, my top three (non-Stenlight) choices in caving headlamps would the the PT Apex, PT Corona, and Pelican 2630.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

If I were going into a cave, I'd want the LONGEST run time possible - along with a polycarbonate plastic body for durability and comfort holding the light.

Along with my headlamp, I'd take a pair (since they're so inexpensive, you can afford to take a backup!) of Princeton Tec Impact XL flashlights. Over 50 hours of light with a set of 4 AA batteries - more with lithium AA's. Bright enough to light up a 40' cubic area with no problems, and tough as hell... as well as waterproof to whatever depth you'll ever be likely to expose it to.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought was a real dive light, like the Barbo-lights, but for about 70$ I recommend the SL PP Lux4AA or the Fenix P1D-CE.
The SL runs with 4xAA, reliable and robust while the Fenix runs with 1xCR123 cell with different brightness levels, much brighter and longer runtime for about twice the costs of the SL.
Also watertight and robust in my experiences.

With both lights you can't go wrong.

Best regards

_____
Tom

cy

Flashaholic
you need advice from some cavers... do a search on stenlight

jtice

Flashaholic
I have used the Streamlight 4AA and 3C Luxeon lights in caves many times, they work very very well.
The polymer takes a good beating, and they have never minded the water.
IMG_1439.jpg

I did a review on it here.
http://www.jtice.com/review/lights/streamlight_propolymer_3c_luxeon/

You cant beat the Stenlight for a headlamp, but it is rather pricey.
If you are on a budget, I would highly recommend the Apex headlamp.
I think they even make a 123 version now.

~John

cy

Flashaholic
didn't realize until now your link below is for Streamlight Argo HP, which is what I use for a backup light to Stenlight.

listen to Jtice's advice, he's an experienced caver.

here's a link to my Argo HP cheap mod, converting to li-ion.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134811

jayhackett03 said:
well, we think we've narrowed it down to this for a headlight...

http://www.action-lights.com/flashlights/streamlight/hands-free-flashlights/argo-hp-led.asp?bhcp=1

now, since we're going with 123 cells for a headlight, for a hand light we're probably gonna go with 123 cells also. unless you would suggest not going with 123, and just carrying C cells also (my brother wants the Streamlight Propolymer 3C really bad). what light would you recommend. medium brightness. runtime is an issue (so no surefire g2). possibly 4 to 5 hours runtime, possibly. something like the Streamlight Propolymer 3C Luxeon, but with 123 powered.

this light will be used in very very rough conditions. heavy mud, water, rocks, etc.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as this sounds like "real" caving, there is nothing that speaks for any other thing than a real caving light, and this is powered by carbide and water.
ANY other light is just a supplement for such a model

aside from the endless runtime (if there is water inside the cave), no light beats the color of the burning flame.
Only con is, that these are more or less area lights with no throw

FirstMain

Newly Enlightened
As all my caving was done in my youth (back when dirt was young) the bulk of my experience was with carbide lamps. They were useful in many ways besides lighting. You could put a couple together, flames tilted upwards, and warm up a can of spaghetti, or a cup of instant coffee. Also served well when you were cold and tired, by producing warmth.

On the downside, they stunk like old farts, were hazardous to the inexperienced, could blow up, and left a nasty residue that was mean to pack back out, so was usually dumped on the cave floor.

But a plus was that they could be powered with urine if you were out of water!

These days, leave the old lantern on a shelf. Pack a pair of AAA headlamps, a dozen or more AAA cells, a Streamlite C3, extra batteries, and something with throw, like a G2, for probing pits. Take a handful of Cyalume sticks for trail markers - cheap if bought in bulk from eBay. Also a few reusable hand warmers, and you're all set.

Good Cavin'

Ron

jtice

Flashaholic
Some ppl like Carbide, some hate it.

I for one will not use it, messier, more to deal with, and I dont want a FLAME on my head.

You can get plenty of runtime from batteries these days with LED lighting.
My Stenlight has 4 levels, low, medium, high, and turbo. and will do 7 straight rock solid hours on high with my 2 cell pack.
I also made a 3 cell pack, so theres no concern on runtime.

~John

Illum

Flashaholic
cy said:
you need advice from some cavers... do a search on stenlight

jayhackett03 said:
well, true. but we're looking at a $100 maximum for both lights total. so, $70 for this light. and the light has to be TOUGH.

IDKAY, but stenlights definitely greater than 100$...

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
Whatever you end up using, carbide, led, whatever, a good rule of thumb for going caving is to have three lights: one primary a back up and a back up for the back up. This doesn't mean that a good headlamp, and two AA lights would follow the rule. Any light you bring into the cave should be good enough to be your only light source for the entire trip.