Host for 6AA to 2D? Other than Mag

fishx65

Enlightened
I've been using Mags with lightly frosted 5 cell bulbs. I put this same setup in a cheap old 2D Garrity and actually liked the beam more then the Mag. The lens on this old Garrity has a collimator in the very middle of the lens about the size of a dime. The hotspot is fantastic! I'm looking for throw. I'm gonna head to the stores this weekend and try to find a 2D light with this same type of lens. Anybody know of any good ones??? It does not have to have a metal reflecter but that would be nice.

Thanks, FishX

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back I did this for amusement purposes using a Energizer Economy Bright Light and a Garrity G-Tech. Quite honestly, the output quality from both reflectors appeared to be better than that of the Mag, even though I did go back to 2D Mags eventually. Both of the lights have metal reflectors (stamped steel?).

As for "good", I can't really say that they would be either durable or reliable, as my objective was to see what I could put together at as cheap a price I could for the original host body. I paid full bore retail for the Energizer at WalMart (~$1.50?) and I found the Garrity for 50¢ in a clearance bin at a Fry's store. The Energizer has a slide switch, and the Garrity has a push button switch. I used Mag-Num Star 6 cell Xenon bulbs with alkalines to keep the overall cost to about $10, but you could reduce the cost more by using KPR 112 or 118 bulbs.

fishx65

Enlightened
I picked up a whole bunch of lights today and so far the big fat Garrity Tuff light is the only one that I like. The funny thing is, I liked all the beam patterns better then my Mags. This Garrity is very well built for a cheapo.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, tell me about it. You're not the only one that noticed that. My problem was that I needed something that would stand up to some abuse as well.

I'm just wondering if it's worth spending $17-20 to get a reflector to fix the output from a $12 Mag. For my usage, it probably isn't, but for others where this could be a frequently used or primary light, I could certainly see doing that.

fishx65 said:
The funny thing is, I liked all the beam patterns better then my Mags.

fishx65

Enlightened
Hey Bright, This Garrity I got looks like it could take some serious abuse. It's got really thick rubber around it and claims to float and be waterproof. Check it out next time your at a store that has it. I'm gonna return my D mags but keep the C's. I just don't understand the crappy focus system on these Mags! A frosted bulb makes them nice but then you don't even need to use the focus. They are built well though!

http://www.garritylites.com/page57.html

FishX65

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will probably be fine for your use. My usage was/is a bit different and an aluminum bodied light would probably be best, even though it is only a backup light.

fishx65 said:
This Garrity I got looks like it could take some serious abuse.

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
I had a Garrity that I used for a host. It was a great light until I melted the refector. You are better off buying a vintage light with a metal reflector and a glass lense. It will probably cost you the same amount and be 100 times the quality.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
What lights have glass lenses, metal reflectors and use a PR bulb? I got a rayovac sportsman 1970's erra light and the focus is a bit off (fixed it with aluminum foil). Also the bulb holder is made of plastic so potential problem there too.

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
I have a few flashlights from the 30's and 40's that have metal reflectors, glass lenses, and take pr bulbs. Not all of them are like this, but some are.

Latest posts