CREEs and tint?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Now that we have had some time for many to play with these new CREE emitters is it safe to say that many of the older problems of the Luxeons have been solved?....mainly tint issues, brightness VS bin code claim and luck of the draw type stuff?

I would get so frustrated to have 3 emitters all the same BIN to find them all different in tint and output. In most all of the CREE beamshots I have seen very consistant tint and have not read of anyone complaining of lottery issues with tint nor of an underperforming emitter that was binned to be higher.

So is there enough information and real use now to say that Cree has solved the tint problems and brightness claims of each BIN code? The broad spectrum of the Lumileds left for some wild variations within several of the same BIN codes....has this issue also been solved with the CREE.

It really seems to me that CREE has somehow managed to please just about everyone and we all are jumping on the boat so to speak.......any comments on this observation please?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, i have seen some tint variation from the cree myself. I have tested about 5 WC tin cree. One of them has a bit of purple tint, one a bit warmer, while the other three has a nice white tint with no hint of any other color.
I cannot say anything about the flux though since I dont have a lightbox. However, i bet one of the reason no one complaining about the flux of the cree is because the cree brightness is such a step forward compared to luxeon, that everyone that tried it simply blown away.
Please note however that the Cree is not binned by its forward voltage like luxeon, so you can have a high Vf and you wont know it until you test it.