How durable has your U2 been?

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
For those of you who have used your U2 in harsher conditions (camping, hiking, etc) how does it withstand being dropped, or extended usage in cold/wet locales? Has anyone ever cracked the lends or scratched it?

I realize that the answers on using this light hard may be few based on its cost, but if anyone has had experience with a U2 that would count as such I would be very interested to hear about it.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My U2 has been reasonbly durable in the desert mine shafts and such that I frequent. The brightness selector is suseptible to getting grit and feeling rough, but according to other posts here, it is fixable (with some patience).

Right now Surefire has my U2 on a warranty repair issue... if you need a rock-solid reliable light, I'd have to recommend something other than the U2. I love mine, but the reliability just isn't there.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
After getting a new tailcap mine has worked flawlessly. I'm a field biologist so it gets wet and dirty all the time.

It has a few dings in the HA, and like Scott said; the selector ring can be a bit rough after getting a lot of mud on the light. I would prefer another light if I was going to the Gulf or somewhere where find sand is everywhere.

Sverre

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have taken mine caving, and it took a few dunks into cold water in the process. It did take a few drops of water inside the bezel, but there were no ill effects and it evaporated over time without leaving marks. Of course, it shouldn't have leaked in that location at all. Its beam is too white and bright for me to risk sending it back under warranty. I'll just keep that one above the water from now on.

jtice

Flashaholic
Mine has been 100%
It sees alot of EDC use, in most any condition.
Had been banged around, dropped a couple times, seen plenty of rain.

~John

Size15's

Flashaholic
One of my mates is a Police Officer and he has been using one of my U2's as his duty EDC for a year now. No issues with it. I don't think I'm getting that one back!

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Mine has bounced around in a toolbox, gone camping, been dropped in rocks and sand, used while crawling under houses, and has been all over the place with me. Other than some scratches and dings, it's held up well. Originally I used only 2xCR123a cells, but now it uses 18650 cells. I have an early model.

Lately, it's seen less use, as I've been using my Ti-PD and M3/M180 quite a bit. For the past few weeks, I've been using a 2nd gen U2-P for walking at night as well. Since I've been using the U2-P, it's reminded me how useful the U2 is. I may start "abusing" my old U2 again. :naughty:

I've had my U2 for years now (fits 18650 cells in stock form). I've never had the clickie issues or any other issues, although I remember having "issues" with it not going into level 6. A quick change to fresh CR123a cells fixed that. :ohgeez: Obviously, that was my dumb fault.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started using 168s in mine and noticed there is plenty of room to spare. Glad to hear that the 18650 will also fit. Have you done any runtime measurements with the 18650 and U2 on high??

Paul

:naughty:

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevo freak has done extensive runtime tests on these forums. As for durability mine has been fine with punishment but out of the box it had a pretty poor ring got tighter and tigher ove ra few days before I gave it to SF's office for repair they just lubed t up and I got it back 20 days later same Xbin super white U2 I had before worked out great. The switch also failed in the first 4 hours but once you take it apart the first time if you only hand tighten it you can always take it apart in a pinch. I woudl say its a good light but not for sand since it can get in the crack.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm.. I'd give it an A- due to some tail cap issues out of the gate but... SInce the new cap(s).. all has been well for over a year (or close to it)

I really love the light... still my #1 girl LOL

blahblahblah

Enlightened
senna94 said:
I just started using 168s in mine and noticed there is plenty of room to spare. Glad to hear that the 18650 will also fit. Have you done any runtime measurements with the 18650 and U2 on high??

Paul

:naughty:

18650 cells do not fit in all U2s. I believe there are 3 tube styles... 1st gen which accepts 18650. 2nd gen which has a plastic sleeve that needs to be removed to fit 18650s. 3rd gen with a smaller bore which is not compatible w/ 18650s without being machined.

I have not done runtime tests. Here's some charts done by another CPFer.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1639261&postcount=10

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both a 2nd gen and 3rd gen body tubes. I think an army of 18650's and 17670's would suite me well the matte color of my 3rd gen came with my light (2nd gen was pruchased alone) is nicer.

WDR65

Enlightened
So far I have not had any problems and it is an EDC and a go to light for me. I've dropped it onto gravel many times so far as well as accidentally slingshotting it out of my vest onto my concrete patio a while back.

I was a little leery after testing the passaround U2 since its tailcap seemed a little shaky, but as of now...........my tailcap has worked just fine. All I can really say is that I've been impressed so far, considering all the horror stories I've read over the past few years.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Mine has been great....just as an extra measure I keep a mini mag bezel accessory on the tailcap (without the lens of course). Can still use the clicky, the tailend is protected and it stands up for use in candle mode. As for the bezel end I keep the rubber bezel from an old Princeton Tec, Tec 40 over it with a frosted lens as a diffuser....protects the bezel, lens and makes a good cheapie diffuser.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am fortunate in that I purchased mine a year and a half ago, and am pretty sure it is 1st generation. For those that have 3rd generation units I guess an aftermarket body tube would be great to be able to use 18650s. Does anyone make and sell these?

Thanks for the bezel and tailcap protector tips Campdavid. I keep those same maglite lend holder rubber caps on the front and back of my HDS EDS Ultimate 60 GT. It never occured to me that they also fit the tailcap of the U2 perfectly. Where did you purchase the diffuser bezel lens for the Tec 40 that you mentioned. Can you take the lens out of it? I would also like to use it to protect the bezel without the lens.

Paul

Last edited:

waynejitsu

Enlightened
senna94 said:
I am fortunate in that I purchased mine a year and a half ago, and am pretty sure it is 1st generation. For those that have 3rd generation units I guess an aftermarket body tube would be great to be able to use 18650s. Does anyone make and sell these?

Thanks for the bezel and tailcap protector tips Campdavid. I keep those same maglite lend holder rubber caps on the front and back of my HDS EDS Ultimate 60 GT. It never occured to me that they also fit the tailcap of the U2 perfectly. Where did you purchase the diffuser bezel lens for the Tec 40 that you mentioned. Can you take the lens out of it? I would also like to use it to protect the bezel without the lens.

Paul

Also interested...