Online tax prep?

Arkayne

Enlightened
We've a family friend who does our tax prep. Unfortunately, the prices have gone up and I'd like to give it a shot on my own. Could you guys recommend an online tax prep service?

K A

Enlightened
I have used TaxFreedom which is done by Intuit.. the same company that does Turbo Tax. If your AGI meets certain criteria and you don't need to file any special forms you can get your Federal filed for free. And if you are located in certain states you can also get your State filed for Free. Kansas isn't in the list so they would have charged 9.95 to file state.. So I just went to my state website to file my state for free as well.

I had also used H&R Block Online one time to get my Federal filed for free also.. I don't know if they still do that though.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
If you have never done your own taxes via computer then start with the Premium edition of either TaxCut or TurboTax. Either one is fine but the premium versions will run you $39 to $49 dollars. The premium ones have many more wizards and prompts for talking you through the process. They even do your State taxes at the same time as the Federal and usually include free online e-filing. Give it a try! Works great and next year you can just import all the info in from this year and only end up having to do half the work!

K A

Enlightened
Just found this link for H&R Block which says they will do your federal taxes for free.
Get simple, FREE* federal online tax preparation with TaxCut Free File from H&R Block. You qualify if you have an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $52,000 or less and are 50 years of age or under. Plus, with TaxCut there are no forms to select, and e-file is included!

Here is also a link from the IRS themselves which lists companies that do FreeFile.

Last edited: