Need a light wih a lot of spill

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened
I need the light to cover a big area with good out put. This would be used to light up a room or may a campsite. Throw is not an issue although it don't mind if it does.

Also, I would want it to be either in AA, C, or D battery form.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a Luxeon 5 based light?

If you're looking for something conventional, the Streamlight Propoly 4AA 7 LED or 3C 10 LED might fulfill your needs well.

Streamlight SL series has pretty good flood in addition to throw, and works well at lighting up tight areas like a room, that's why it is preferred by many urban police departments

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiteBrite, what are you willing to spend and what thoughts do you have about the size of the light, also prefered Led's, incan?

Best regards

_____
Tom

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
LiteBrite, what are you willing to spend and what thoughts do you have about the size of the light, also prefered Led's, incan?

Best regards

_____
Tom

I would like to kee p it under $50 and definitely prefer LEDs. Size is not an issue as long as it is not too big?

Thanks

Newuser01

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Maybe a Luxeon 5 based light?

If you're looking for something conventional, the Streamlight Propoly 4AA 7 LED or 3C 10 LED might fulfill your needs well.

Streamlight SL series has pretty good flood in addition to throw, and works well at lighting up tight areas like a room, that's why it is preferred by many urban police departments
Ditto on this!!!!

You will not be disappointed. I have a Streamlight Propoly 4AA 7 LED (actually 3 sets) and they have long run time, can lit up a room tail standing in a mug. Leave it pointed to where you would be and it will give you enough light to work for days.........

Regards.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think both the 4AA and 3C versions of the Streamlight are available at Fry's down your way for less than $30. If you get the 4AA, you might be cautioned to run NiMH batteries in it by the people who have read the flashlightreviews review on this light. I've used both with no harm, but I am running NiMH batteries in them because they seem to go on forever on a single charge (old 2000 mAh batteries that get charged about once every 4 months or so, ... maybe a little longer :) )

LiteBrite said:
I would like to kee p it under $50 and definitely prefer LEDs. Size is not an issue as long as it is not too big?

Thanks

Bhustan

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Gerber LX3.0. This light uses 3 AA's, but is not regulated. Lots of spill and a medium spot. Overall a fairly useful light. You should be able to find it for under $50.

Peace,
Mike

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened
skalomax said:
Hey I live in Bellflower!
Right Next to You.
:)

Inova X5?

Finally I meet someone from the area.

Thanks everyone. I have a SLPP 4AA Lux that I love. I might gice the 3C 10 LED a shot.

fishx65

Enlightened
Litebrite, If you have or can find a Dorcy 3D Lux, the whole reflecter comes off just like a mag and makes an awesome smooth spill of very bright light. I'm pretty sure these Dorcys run for a loooooong time. I'm not sure if the Mag leds can do this.

speederino

Enlightened
I put a lampshade over my headless Dorcy 3D in the last power outage. worked like a champ.

Target and Lowes had them at one point. Target clearanced them. Lowes is rumored to be in the process now as well.

dixemon

Enlightened

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
If you're trying to light up an entire room, why wouldn't you go for a lantern like the Osram Golden Dragon LED lantern? It's supposed to be quite good.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've always appreciated the amount of spill from my old UK 4AA eLED. Must be something about the side-firing Luxeon (batwing?). Don't know if the new "Zoom" models still give as much spill.

Geoff

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle said:
I've always appreciated the amount of spill from my old UK 4AA eLED. Must be something about the side-firing Luxeon (batwing?). Don't know if the new "Zoom" models still give as much spill.

I agree, Flying Turtle.

The UK 4AA eLED dumps most of its output into a very wide, usable spillbeam. That amazing spillbeam, plus its rock-solid-flat-regulated long runtime, make it my favorite utility light by far.

The new Zoom is a whole different animal. Although it still has the long, flat regulated runtime on low level, its beam is now provided by an lens system rather than a reflector. Also, it doesn't use the side-emitter LED anymore.

The Zoom's beam is great for general outdoor use, but it's not nearly as good as the old UK 4AA eLED for close to medium range tasks.