Fenix L1D CE with 4.2v rechargables -> 135 lumens?

Miracle

Enlightened
can some kind souls please confirm if Fenix L1D CE with 4.2v rechargables -> 135 lumens?

:huh2:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses the same head as the L2D CE, so yes, you give it enough voltage and it will be as bright as a P1D CE or L2D CE.

fineday

Newly Enlightened
Cree XLamp LEDs will be that bright if you supply it with 4.2V Li-ion battery.

But it is dangerous for flashlights like L1 because those lights are too small to keep the LEDs working at a acceptable temperature. And as far as I know, LEDs working at a high temperature will go dead very quickly.

Long time ago, I've seen some friends using 18650 Li-ion batteries to drive Lumileds 3W LEDs directly or with only a resistor in the circuit. At first those lights were very bright but soon they went dimmer and dimmer. After about 1 year, those 3W LEDs could only be as bright as 1W LEDs. So I suggest not to use L1D with Li-ion battery.

r0b0r

Enlightened
fineday said:
After about 1 year, those 3W LEDs could only be as bright as 1W LEDs. So I suggest not to use L1D with Li-ion battery.

No, it's just a matter of *conserving* the turbo mode for when you really need it - for example, unfriendly evening encounters :p

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
They take 14500's and no, the modes not all work. The lower levels will look just like high, though I can't confirm until my light arrives in a few days.

Miracle

Enlightened
does any kind souls know how many hours will it run at 135 lumens at max?

:huh2:

Miracle

Enlightened
thankx for the info grapplex

its already available here

I guess it will be the L1D CE then

:)

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally posted by grapplex: No Fenix light has EVER gotten to 135 lumens.

The P1D CE has not and the L1D WILL NOT.

Actual, for real, measured out the front lumens is 110. One Hundred and Ten. Both chevrofreak and quickbeam have confirmed this. Fenix advertised claims for the P1D series are 20% high. Expect the same or worse for the L1D CE.

The specs on the Fenix Store site say that the L1D has only 90 lumens in turbo mode, while those for the L2D say 135 lumens in turbo mode. Are you suggesting that the L2D specs are going to actually come in 20% high and will really be closer to 110 lumens?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it's hard to tell until we get the lights in our hands and measure them. Many of the P1D CE's that are out used a P3 flux bin, which isn't the best available. I think with even a Q2 flux bin that Fenix would be achieving their claimed 135 lumens in the P1D CE. The Q2's may be out now and may be available to manufacturers in quantity.

The new L0D CE seems to be very accurate with the lumen claims. Based on my own testing using my home made integrating sphere:

Fenix L0D CE - high - Duracell coppertop: 772 (est 55.14 lumens)
Fenix L0D CE - medium (primary) - Duracell coppertop: 268 (est 19.14 lumens)

I haven't officially tested Low yet, but I did measure it with a used Ni-MH cell at right around an estimated 7.5 lumens. Those numbers are all very close to their claimed 50/20/7.5 lumens. It could be a sign that the LED's Fenix is using are catching up to their numbers.

I should have the L1D CE and L2D CE in my hands on Monday. Unfortunately I won't have the 10440's and 14500 I ordered for probably a week and a half.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specs on the Fenix Store site say that the L1D has only 90 lumens in turbo mode, while those for the L2D say 135 lumens in turbo mode.
as far as I understand 7777s posts, the heads are the same, so with high input voltage, both will put out the same light (be it 110 real or 135 in theory). Difference is, that the numbers shown for the L1 are with a normal AA and thus less bright.

L1 powered by an 14500, output of both models will be the same,
BUT
as long as input voltage (of L1) is above 3.5 Volts, the lower levels will be bypassed and not available.

guess I need a L2D-CE also :)
buy both