ASP Triad Cree Light

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Interesting... 3 Cree emitters for a 120 lumen output ??? I wonder which emitters they chose.

Runtime is only 2 hrs on 2 cr123a. These sound like cree's old emitters! Or, they have very inefficient electronics/optics and are measuring lumens out the front like SF.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hm ... interesting light there !!!
But agreed on the strange specs ... anyone try it out and review it before I buy? :D :poke:

Did I get that right ... it is a uC Controlled switch where a button at the end controls on/off ... and constant or momentary as well as lockout is decided by the rotating collar at the tailcap?

bernie

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Nice find!

If this light has the same quality & performance as the incan Triad, this may be the one for all those ppl that wait for SF joining the Cree-game :naughty:

Bad thing my dad lost my incan Triad while walking the dog... this light was machined as good as a SF E2, less sexy-looking & hyped, but brighter :sssh:

BTW: Finally a non-nonsense on-off Cree... I have no clue why every manufacturer includes this multi-click / multi-brightness nonsense into Cree lights... I prefer my lights to be bright or off, nothing inbetween...

Seth

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe ASP is actually being truthful about output and runtime numbers?

I like the Triad series, unfortunately they are difficult to locate.

-dan

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered one from my local boys:

ASP Triad @ Streicher's

Their webmaster is a friend of mine and lets me know when they get the good stuff in ;) Oh, and he said he's going to set up a code for us CPF'rs, too, for a discount.

I'll let you know when I get one in and will post some pics.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and he mentioned that ASP has two ratings for the new Triad: 240/120. My guess is 240 is at the LED and 120 is OTF. Could be interesting....

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Look what the nice brown truck brought for me today! This one is on loan for a short time, have another en route. Will post more pictures when I get a chance. First impression: WOW. Insanely intense. Great hotspot, excellent corona. This is WAY up there on my list for room clearing lights.

ASP_Triad_CDP_On.jpg

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

easilyled

Flashaholic
120 lumens OTF would still be disappointing for a triple-cree light.

There are many single-led Cree-XRE/Seoul-P4 lights that put out
more lumens than that.

I have a 27LT-S and an A1-S that put out 150 lumens easily OTF from
a single Seoul and have more run-time. (They don't overheat either)

I can't see the point in having 3 Cree's for that output.

easilyled

Flashaholic
FASTCAR said:
My 27lt is not even close to 150 OTF

No, I wouldn't expect it to be, unless it was a 27LT-S like the latest
run from Don. :)

The "-S" suffix denotes that it has a Seoul SSC-P4-Ubin in it which
is in the same ballpark as the Cree-XRE.

The point of my post is that there are plenty of lights with single
Seoul or Cree-XRE's which exceed 120 lumens out the front.

Don has said that 150 lumens is typical of the readings he gets for
the 27LT-S

My Ti Aleph-1 is even brighter than the 27LT-S, maybe 170-180 lumens.

I'd expect a light with 3 Crees to produce 240 lumens at least given
that the Cree-XRE has an output of about 80 lumens when only driven
at 350mah.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
TacticalGrilling said:
Look what the nice brown truck brought for me today! This one is on loan for a short time, have another en route. Will post more pictures when I get a chance. First impression: WOW. Insanely intense. Great hotspot, excellent corona. This is WAY up there on my list for room clearing lights.

ASP_Triad_CDP_On.jpg

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

Where did you go?

We are intently awaiting beamshots and your extended impression of the light.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm VERY dubious of all these lumen output numbers for Cree LED.s The few Cree absed lights I have are not that much brighter, where I can say they are definitely 120+ Lu "out the front." I've done a few tests witha light meter, and the Cree's I have are lower than a comparable Incan (though this can't be compared to a lumen rating per se).

I think the lumen numbers of most Cree's are highly exaggerated.

The ASP Cree may actually have some truthful output numbers, thus they are quoted as being lower than what is currently the trend.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just like to know how the beam of the Tri Cree ASP compares to the L2/L4.

Basically, something a bit brighter than the L4 with the same width beam AND with longer runtime.

It does seem odd that three Crees would only barely keep up with a single Lux V and give only twice the runtime.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
Sorry for the delay in getting back at it. Unfortunately, my Triad was a demo light for a week. And, before I sent it back I only took a couple pictures, none of which featured the desired comparo: Triad vs L4. However, I do have my trusty L4 sitting next to me and another Triad en route. Once together, well, guaranteed there'll be a showdown. In the meantime, here's a few comparisons for your viewing enjoyment:

New T4 (left) vs New Triad (right)
DSC_0032.jpg

Surefire P111 w/P60 (left) vs New Triad (right)
DSC_0036.jpg

Surefire G3 (left) vs New Triad (right)
DSC_0037.jpg

I'm waiting to pull the L4 vs Triad comparison down the road, but for now, I'm pretty certain the Triad has it waxed in the output category. In fairness, I'm expecting to see two very different types of output in the comparison. And the blend of flood and hotspot in the Triad works well for my intended usage. So, we'll have to wait and see, but this may be an apples to oranges comparison.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
dano said:
I'm VERY dubious of all these lumen output numbers for Cree LED.s The few Cree absed lights I have are not that much brighter, where I can say they are definitely 120+ Lu "out the front." I've done a few tests witha light meter, and the Cree's I have are lower than a comparable Incan (though this can't be compared to a lumen rating per se).

I think the lumen numbers of most Cree's are highly exaggerated.

The ASP Cree may actually have some truthful output numbers, thus they are quoted as being lower than what is currently the trend.
Thinking about it ASP's numbers do sound quite reasonable to me;

Assume 3 Crees driven at 350mA to give a "typical" 80 lumens each, as per specs, 240 lumens total. Halve that to give an achievable "out the front" figure of 120 lumens.

Assuming a typical vf of 3.3v, power consumption would be around 3 x 3.3 x 0.350 = 3.465W.
If a typical CR123A cell has 1300mAh of capacity at a nominal 3v, 3 x 1.3 = 3.9Wh of energy.

ASP claim a runtime of 1h/cell for the various configurations, this would give a converter efficiency of 3.465 / 3.9 = 89%.

Apply a bit of rounding off to give easy to understand numbers and you have claims that they will be able to stand by - even allowing for variation in the parts (which they won't be hand-picking!).

cratz2 said:
It does seem odd that three Crees would only barely keep up with a single Lux V and give only twice the runtime.
Surely they would also produce much less heat and last a lot longer than a Lux V (500h spec) at this drive level?

For me the important thing will be the runtime graphs to demonstrate the regulation and the beamshots (I'd love to see numbers to compare against the FLR charts).

If the build quality is high end and the regulation good I don't think that the price is extortionate either, not great though as you can get a custom mod with hand-picked parts for not too much more.

One final question for TacticalGrilling (love that concept BTW
yellowlaugh.gif
) is whether the tubes will take the big protected rechargeable cells. With the options listed it ought to be possible to run this light on 2 or 3 Li-ions at least, if not just 1.

seth said:
BTW: Finally a non-nonsense on-off Cree... I have no clue why every manufacturer includes this multi-click / multi-brightness nonsense into Cree lights...
My guess would be that all the Cree lights so far are aimed at a broader user base than ASP aim at with their products. If you genuinely only use your light to look for the bad guys you may only want full brightness, everyone else might find 100+ lumens too bright for changing a light bulb or mapreading. Thus you can sell fewer features (but higher build quality!) for more money.
Personally I'd like to have my cake and eat it with some way of dimming this light (but defaulting to high when first turned on).