Streamlight 3c or Mag 3AA - Cree Mod Possible?

patrascu

Newly Enlightened
So I have 3 Streamlight 3C luxeon flashlights (1w I think) and one MiniMag 3AA 3w.

Is it possible to modify either of the above lights with this Cree P4 emitter?

I am faily handy with a soldering iron, but have never modified flashlights.

BTW... I did try to search but couldn't find any information about either of the modifications I'm asking about. If anybody knows if these mods will work, please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I ruined a 3AA M*gled light and the module is off with a modder right now. If he is able to do anything with it, I will report!

I have an old (by LED standards) Madmax+ on the way back to me with a Cree installed. I will report on if a M*gled AA reflector is a good match for the Cree.

patrascu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot.

I really appreciate it.

I'll check back in hopes of getting some good news.

If I know it will work, I'm not afraid to try the mod. I used to solder every day (my job while I was in college) so I think I can handle it. I just don't want to go through all the trouble and find out it just won't work.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
With the Head/Reflector from the 3AA M*gled screwed on to the Madmax+ Cree minim*g with the reflector JUST kissing the ring on the Cree we get a decent soft edged spot with a bright fairly close in Corona and quite respectable spill.

I could concievably make the beam better by modding the ML reflector, but with teflon tape to hold the reflector still/centered and a Kroll switch this works out pretty good!

Now all I gotta do is get a NiteIze IQ switch to try out....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I discovered another tidbit about my Madmax Cree..

A minim*g reflector with a hole just about large enough for the Cree above the ring gives a WIDE flood with a slightly brighter center. It doesn't get all the way down to the ring, nor even over the Cree at all. So a lot of light is lost. But the Cree has SO MUCH to give that the flood is good even in a well lit room!

I'm going to mod a C/D reflector to go down enough to focus next!

Edit: Just tried C/D reflector. On a white wall there is a tight spot, a dark ring, a slightly brighter than the spill ring and GENEROUS spill. Outside in quality dark I can touch any tree around me and at most way up that tree the spot is maybe 8-10 feet wide at MOST. It is very interesting, but I am not now nor was ever all about tight spots.

I'm willing to bet that the Streamlight 3C would not have the best beam, but would surely reach out there with the spot!

Last edited: