P1D-CE or U2?...

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am just not able to make my choice between a P1D-CE or a Surefire U2....

I know that these are not the same quality and the same price but if i look to the spec. of the Fenix it seems to put more light and more throw than the U2...for half the price.what is the advantage of buying a U2 at this time?

Thanks for your help!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really there is no advantage to buying a Luxeon light at this point. The Surefire U2 was all the rage when it came out because there wasn't all that much competition. Now however there is ALOT of competition from overseas companies which sell at much more reasonable prices.
The P1DCE and the U2 are nothing alike with the exception of having similar output. The P1DCE is a very small pocket light uses 1 cell (rechargables work too) and you can carry in your coat pocket and not even know it's there. The U2 is much much larger and takes 2 cells and can NOT use rechargable cells either. The system for switching levels on the U2 is still top notch however and hasn't really been duplicated to date. That is the one area where it still reigns supreme, other than that it has been surpassed in all other areas by the Huntlight FT-01 Cree. I suggest you look into getting one of those if you want a light which is similar to the U2. It has more output, runs much longer on all levels, and costs less than half the price.

sylvain said:
Hi,

I am just not able to make my choice between a P1D-CE or a Surefire U2....

I know that these are not the same quality and the same price but if i look to the spec. of the Fenix it seems to put more light and more throw than the U2...for half the price.what is the advantage of buying a U2 at this time?

Thanks for your help!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, there is no comparison. The Surefire U2 is still one of the finest lights available and hands down, I would prefer 1 Surefire U2 to 3 of the Fenix P1D-CE's.

This is especially the case if you use the light frequently and have access to power to recharge your 17670's for free light.

The beam quality of the Surefire to the Fenix is not even comparable.

The ease of changing levels is an advantage that the Surefire U2 has over the Fenix.

The quality of construction is on Surefires side... hands down.

I would easily select the U2 if price and pocketability were not concerns as I think that the U2 is a far better flashlight.

-Goatee

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:
other than that it has been surpassed in all other areas by the Huntlight FT-01 Cree.

other than beam quality, build quality, # of stages, the u2 has a tactical clicky, etc... in other words, the fto1 cree is brighter and has longer runtime, but the u2 is, well, a surefire, so that is why it wins in the previousely mentioned areas.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with adirondackdestroyer on most of his comments, but you can run 17670 rechargeables in the Surefire U2, it does have 6 levels of brightness, it is bright. This is where I agree that there is alot of newer lights out there that will compete for alot less.
What do you need it for?
I own a Surefire U2, but hardly use it now.
Really there is no advantage to buying a Luxeon light at this point. The Surefire U2 was all the rage when it came out because there wasn't all that much competition. Now however there is ALOT of competition from overseas companies which sell at much more reasonable prices.
The P1DCE and the U2 are nothing alike with the exception of having similar output. The P1DCE is a very small pocket light uses 1 cell (rechargables work too) and you can carry in your coat pocket and not even know it's there. The U2 is much much larger and takes 2 cells and can NOT use rechargable cells either. The system for switching levels on the U2 is still top notch however and hasn't really been duplicated to date. That is the one area where it still reigns supreme, other than that it has been surpassed in all other areas by the Huntlight FT-01 Cree. I suggest you look into getting one of those if you want a light which is similar to the U2. It has more output, runs much longer on all levels, and costs less than half the price.

pietruck

Newly Enlightened
I say buy the U2.

If you don't like it I'll trade you a P1D CE ;)

I am looking for a U2 myself.

I had a P1D-CE and its a great little light.

For the most part I prefer lights about the size of the E2's.

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
I have both and the P1D is in no way a U2 killer nor will it ever replace a U2. If you want long term quality and durability the Surefire is the only way to go it will still be going long after the P1d falls apart. I use my P1D for when I travel or go to the gym just because it's small easy to carry and if it gets lost or stolen it wont hurt as bad as losing my U2. My U2 is my EDC and the P!d collects dust except when I need something small. You also might want to consider a Surefire L4 which is priced in between both the lights and is a fantastic light as well.
hope this helps,
Tom

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
other than beam quality, build quality, # of stages, the u2 has a tactical clicky, etc... in other words, the fto1 cree is brighter and has longer runtime, but the u2 is, well, a surefire, so that is why it wins in the previousely mentioned areas.

Well I do agree that the beam quality of the FT-01 is less than perfect it does have incredible throw and very bright flood, while the U2 has a nice smooth floody beam but lacks throw, which is very important to some people. While the U2 does have one more stage than the FT-01 I don't think that is very important. Really 3 stages is all anyone would ever need unless they are a little too OCD about their lights. I do think that the tactical clickie is a plus for the U2, but the problem with that is that the U2 has the most problematic clickie in the history of flashlights. Don't even get me started on "build quality". That phrase was invented by people who buy overpriced expensive lights and need to justify their purchase so they it is "quality".
To the thread starter... either buy the Huntlight FT-01 cree if you want a bunch of levels, or check out the Lumapower M1 Cree which has a orange peal reflector option which will give it a very nice smooth beam. Both lights are excellent so the choice is yours.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really 3 stages is all anyone would ever need unless they are a little too OCD about their lights. Don't even get me started on "build quality". That phrase was invented by people who buy overpriced expensive lights and need to justify their purchase so they it is "quality".

both very good points... personally, i wouldnt buy a u2 with the crees on the market, i own one and like it, but it is not winning in efficiency anymore :(

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I wanted a U2, I would wait until the Cree version came out. In the meantime, I'd get a silver P1D-CE.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Trailblazer. I have both and find myself using the Fenix when I go out and need something small to carry. However, there is no beating the U2 for the ease of selecting brightness level even while the light is off. This also helps you determine about how much juice is left in your batteries by determining which is the hightest level you can crank it up to. If you can find a 1st generation U2 it is easy to use 18650 rechargeable cells. The 2nd generation has the tube which is removable and the current generation is to my knowledge been downsized to prevent any rechargeables from being used.

Paul :grin2:

Last edited:

creampuff

Newly Enlightened
What are you going to be using it for? My U2 is old technology compared to my Cree's, but even then I am always still reaching for the U2. When crawling around in the attic or under a stage, I need to have something more substantial in my hand, plus I am always losing the P1 size flashlights.

My go to light has been the McClux because it has the right balance of being an EDC, without being so small I lose it or can't grip it, or being too large like the U2 to be an EDC.

It all really depends how you will be using either of the lights. When I go on a road trip, the U2 is the first go into the emergency bag.

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
I just want to have a nive complement to my collection...i already have a C2,M3,L2,E2E,E1E,A2 and E2L.

he he maybe i have to much surefire?...

The point is that i really like the shape of the U2 but in the same time, i dont want to pay for nothing....knowing that the Fenix seems to be a lot brighter than the U2...

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say U2 with the Cree!!

Surefire can't leave any Lux's in their line. It just seems silly to me unless i'ts a specific app where tint, beamm form factor requires a lux...

paulr

Flashaholic
There has to be a U2/Cree coming soon. Meanwhile the U2 is a utility light while the P1D-CE is more of a techno gizmo. The P1D-CE is great if you want a tiny powerful light for convenience but until proven otherwise, it can't be considered qualified for hard use like a Surefire. If you want the U2's functionality and don't mind its size and don't need it immediately, I'd wait for the Cree version.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly! there HAS to be. I can't imagine only the few torches at SS07 will be the only ones changed

Also a good thing is the U2 is still as bright as it always has been and good enough for what I do (not much anymore since a gang took ove rmy woods) :(

paulr said:
There has to be a U2/Cree coming soon. Meanwhile the U2 is a utility light while the P1D-CE is more of a techno gizmo. The P1D-CE is great if you want a tiny powerful light for convenience but until proven otherwise, it can't be considered qualified for hard use like a Surefire. If you want the U2's functionality and don't mind its size and don't need it immediately, I'd wait for the Cree version.

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just me presonnaly, but my U2 is better than a CE now I will go and buy a CE because I want to do head to head comparison, for me a U2 is highly pocketable, I bought a old body and it accepts 18650's (although i prefer my body sicne the newer ones are more matte I like that) honestly if the U2 was bright enough for you when it came out what has changed sure they make brighter light but sometime the ease of changing levels far outwieghs any other use, plus Mine is a winner so it outperforms a CE at least in output Iono about throw have to go by a CE.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P1D-CE, and cannot fault it at all, love it to bits. So it may come as a surprise that I would suggest a Cree powered SureFire. The difference is that you do not seem to worry about how much it costs, and I use the motto, "Buy the best you can afford".

The reason I chose the Fenix is that it fits sensibly on a keychain. It amuses me greatly that my most powerful torch is also my keyring torch. Beamshot comparisons against my monstrously huge MagLite 6D and the Fenix never cease to make me chuckle.

paulr

Flashaholic
MikeSalt said:
I have a P1D-CE, and cannot fault it at all, love it to bits. So it may come as a surprise that I would suggest a Cree powered SureFire. The difference is that you do not seem to worry about how much it costs, and I use the motto, "Buy the best you can afford".

The reason I chose the Fenix is that it fits sensibly on a keychain. It amuses me greatly that my most powerful torch is also my keyring torch. Beamshot comparisons against my monstrously huge MagLite 6D and the Fenix never cease to make me chuckle.
There's a difference between "the best you can afford" and "the brightest you can afford". Surefire has a serious track record of making very solid, durable lights for harsh use by military and LE operators. The Fenix stuff isn't bad but it's basically consumer electronics and built accordingly. For the price of a Fenix you could get a Surefire G2 or (maybe) E2e which are less sexy and high tech but are quite possibly less likely to fail under rough conditions. So there's some room for interpretation as to what is "best". What you really want is a light with Surefire's ruggedness but with modern components (Cree led etc).

The Surefire light comparable to the P1D (Luxeon based) is the E1L (aka E1e/KL1). They don't have a P1D-CE equivalent yet but I hope they make one soon. The thing is, the E1L, while still pocket sized, is much larger than a P1D. Whether that's inevitable, I don't know. I guess I can live with it. I'm not into 123-powered lights any more, but if Surefire made an 1AA or 2AA Cree light I'd probably buy it even if it was bigger and more expensive than the corresponding Fenix.

Here is a thread about the internals of the Fenix E0, a low-cost Fenix light that turns out to not be very solidly constructed (this is the basis of the "consumer electronics" comment above). Until someone takes a P1D-CE or L1D-CE apart and finds it's put together differently, I think we have to assume that the higher end Fenixes are built around the same way as the E0, and as such we can't think of them as rough-duty lights.

Last edited: