dollar tree LED flashlight

viorel00

Enlightened
I stopped by the TD this morning to buy some other crap, and I saw this LED flashlight, it seems to have to coin cell batteries (NiMh or NiCd?) and a magnet with a coil to charge it. I didn't expect much of it, but what the heck it should be good enough for my toddler to play with. He LOVES to shake things.

Well, I have to say it's bright enough that got me concerned, I had to put some scotch tape over the lens and use a marker to darken it, so if he look into the beam will not get blind. Also, it seems to run quite a bit, I had it on for an hour and it's still on, I am not sure if the batteries were charged from the factory (I doubt it, it was made in China), or if it charged itself on the ship on the way from China to the US, or if it charged in my car from the store on the way home (yeah, I accelerate and brake quite hard sometimes).

Anyway, for $1 I got a nice toy that can be also used in an emergency! (it he doesn't break it, that is)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You've probably gotten one of those fake shakelights. They run on non-rechargeable coin cells and the "recharging" mechanism is phony - there are no wires connecting it to the battery pack.

It's still not bad for $1 and your son will have a nice toy that will make him think about magnetism and generators.

Last edited:

Skibane

Enlightened
viorel00 said:
it seems to have to coin cell batteries (NiMh or NiCd?) and a magnet with a coil to charge it.

Some "shake-lights" are really "fake-shake-lights" - The LED is actually powered by conventional, non-rechargeable batteries, and the magnet and coil are strictly for show. They'll run brightly for a while - until the battery dies.

viorel00

Enlightened
right, I see, no wires. the plastic case in not very clear, and I didn't look for the wires first time. Now upon close examination, you are right, phony shake mechanism.

Well, at least I didn't pay and arm and a leg.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an omega shaky light for christmas it has a whole circuit in there for charging the CAP it uses and all. Nice little unit.