I think i may be "burning out"of the flashlight thing.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
first off i am sorry if this is the wrong forum. well guys in the last month or so i have really lost my need to know everything about lights.while i still love my surefires i just dont have that "need to know" thing about them. i am afraid i may be "burning out" i think that as for the first time in a lllooooonngg time i dont feel like i need to give up lights to get new lights.there is really only one light i want and that is an M6 but i am not my self as i would be trying to sell everything i got to get me one.i feel very content with my three surefires, and i dont *really* feel like i need anymore. the new cree's just dont do anything for me. the only thing in light that i seem to like is John Willis pouches/holsters and more batts for my lights. i really do enjoy helping people on cpf but that pretty much all now days. i dont think i could fully give up cpf as i spend a LOT of time on here while i am home sick, and i have a lot of very good freinds on here that have helped me out a lot.

so do you guys think i am "burning out''?

Norm

Retired Administrator
I think that once you are really happy with a light, once you find just the right one, the desire to chase other lights diminishes.
Note the word woman can also be replaced wherever the word light appears.
Norm

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm said:
I think that once you are really happy with a light, once you find just the right one, the desire to chase other lights diminishes.
Note the woman can also be replaced wherever the word light appears.
Norm
i think you may be right, as after i recently got my john willis holster ( about a month ago) combined with my A2, i just kinda found the perfect edc, and then i have my long range light(M3T) i just feel like i dont really need anymore lights.

paulr

Flashaholic
When you find the "perfect" light the flashaholism doesn't really go away, it just enters remission temporarily. Then the next perfect light comes along, your interests change from LED to incandescent to HID, etc.

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
glockboy said:
Wait 'till Surefire come out with the Cree lights.
honestly, im not really looking forward to the new cree lights, and i have not really been into leds for a while now. so while i appreciate the suggestion i dont think it will keep this flame from going out.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all of the "passions" (hockey, archery, golf, backpacking, and now flashlights) that I have ever done there came a time where I reached a high point. It is a point where I was satisfied at the level I attained. Either I could not go any further or I knew I was not going to get any better unless I was willing to spend an unreasonable amount of time at it. At this high point I was happy and I could move on to other things. I still enjoy all of them but I do not have the time and resources to pursue them as I once did. The good thing is that if you leave a hobby or something you are passionate about, after some time has past you can rediscover it and it can become exciting again. I played hockey back in November for the first time in 2 years and I forgot how much I loved playing and of course being rusty makes you work hard at it again. When it comes to flashlights, I can see myself slowing down and reaching the stage you are at but if I took 6 months to a year off I think I would have fun trying to catch up. "Burning out" is not a bad thing-because you can always recharge your "batteries". The question you should ask yourself is "is it still fun?"

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've reached a state of satisfaction with your life and I'd relish and bask in it. Be happy with your Surefires and target a Willis holster for the M3T:rock:. Your A2 and M3T have allowed you to reach this new zen like level. It is not something to be distraught with rather a time to prrrrrrr like a kitten. Many people would like to have those lights and can only dream about them. Keep up on your communications on CPF and you'll see that everything is good!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
enjoy it!!

I have pleant to fill my needs but always want more more more LOL

My slowing donw is forced... I hope to one day be like you!!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick up modding or go even further and get a lathe and mill and make your own creations. I'm sure that will be a whole lot more fulfilling than just collecting lights.

Out of the $4k I've spent on lights, half of it is modding costs and all kinds of accessories (including batts). Progold, wires, metal stock, converters, tools, chargers, DMMs, lux meters, pouches, bulbs, heatsinks etc... It'll keep you busy (and poor) for a long time!

And even for lights, I don't own a single collectible class light (no Mclux, no Gatlight, no Orb, no KIs.....) nor am I intending to get any, but I still find things to pique my interest.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you try the M@g11 ot M@g85?

benchmade_boy said:
honestly, im not really looking forward to the new cree lights, and i have not really been into leds for a while now. so while i appreciate the suggestion i dont think it will keep this flame from going out.

kuni123456

Newly Enlightened
I have the same problem with hobby or interest burnout. I have a circle of hobbies or interests and all of them have a burnout period. It might take ten years, but I will lose interest. Most of my hobbies do not die entirely, but it might take years to revive the interest. I am a collector of my things and my wife barely tolerates my collections. I know when I die, she will thrown away most of my collections in a big trash dumpster. Unfortunately, neither of sons have any interest in collecting anything. They are big Internet gamers and have little interest in anything else. I have use all types of flashlights for work or for my hobbies and now have started to collect a few LED flashlights. I like Surefire LEDs and also have a few Surefire regular flashlights such as a 9P and a M6. I also use Steamlight LED headlamps and also use Sten Light headlamps.

TeflonBubba

Newly Enlightened
I look at it this way...... The soooner your Flashlight hobby burns out, the MORE $$$$ you'll have for your next hobby!

I am sure that there are plenty of CPFers who wish they had their addiction fade away quickly.... So, when it does, view that as a good thing! :grin2:

TorchMan

Enlightened
I can relate to this. It's been that way with all my hobbies. The desire for more becomes sated after filling many needs.

I haven't bought a light in around a year. For a good part of that, nothing much was really going on. Now, we have the Cree and SSC craze. It peaked my interest.

Recently I got to play with two PID CEs. One black, one natural. They were quite impressive, seeming well made for the cost. Of course they were bright, brighter than any of my one cells. It did not make my one cells seem obsolete, as I would have suspected from reading here. This is my opinion, not arguing numbers or the like, it's just that for my needs, the current one cells still serve 99%.

I know it's CPF sacrilege not to drool over brighter. I do wish my current ones could go brighter at times, but not all that often (still nice to be there when needed though). Efficacy is also improved, and that counts as well. IMHO opinion, my collection has reached a point where the law of diminishing returns applies.

When I need lights with more throw, I usually go for a two cell, and an incan. Current arsenal has that. I've no HIDs, but don't use my spotlights all that much anyway, and can't see the cost/use ratio being anything close to a need. I still want an HID, but for what use?

I still come to CPF, to read the latest, give a non-reviewer quality user opinion, etc. Plus get around in the Cafe. The light hobby could re-ignite, but now it's more use than acquire mode. After gorging, one can become sated.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is ok that you have reached a point that you are satisfied. It is the marketing and advertising depts goal to convince you to keep on their treadmill of purchases. This learned response of being dissatisfied does not allow stability and it goes beyond materialism. I know far too many people who's push for more makes them part of the disposable society.

Anyway...I applaud your sense in realizing you can be happy with yourself and where the hobby has brought you. :)

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I can relate to what you say Benchmade.

I love lights in general but have only bought a few in specific since 2004.

They were a Kroma Milspec, two Mag AA LED's (one for a gift), two Princeton Tec EOS Headlamps (one as a gift) a couple SureFire Spare Carriers and a couple John Willis Pouches.

I am sure I will buy again in the future, but since I am more than pleased with what I have I am not feeling an immediate need to buy.