Surefire L1: Is my light a Luxeon III or Luxeon I? - please help!

boet

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,
Long time reader – first time poster.
Fabulous site you have, thanks to all the knowledgeable people here. I have recently enabled myself with a Surefire E20 Outdoorsman and Surefire E1L. Fantastic lights.

My query:
Today I purchased a Surefire L1 Lumamax.
However, I do not know whether I have the new Luxeon III model or the older Luxeon I LED.
I have read on the forum that old packaging may sometimes be used / overlaps with new products. Is this the case here? Otherwise I need to return the product to the vendor, much to my disappointment.

Description of the flashlight:
I have looked at flashlightreviews.com and the head on the flashlight I have looks the same (in reference to the updated review).
Unlike one of the pictures in the review, I am unable to see the LED through the window/lens due to the manufacturing process of the glass– looks like a bubble/bulge inside. Is this what is known as a collimator lens?
The body has 3 flat sides: one flat is under the clip and has no writing; one flat reads "L1 Digital Lumamax"; the third flat has "Surefire US Pat 6547415, 6712485, 6841941 PC CE" and what I presume is a serial number A183xx.

Description of Packaging/Box:
The front of the packaging reads in part "Over 20 hours of low-beam runtime". This should be 90 hours, yes?
The back reads in part "One-watt impact-resistant LED".
The back of the package has a picture of the flashlight with the old hexagonal head – the head on the flashlight itself is the new shape.
The Operating Manual insert also shows a picture of the old hexagonal head and also describes the product as one watt.

Was the Surefire L1 with Luxeon I ever sold with the the new shape head? Or can I be guaranteed that the new shape head will in fact be a Luxeon III?

Folks, please help. Put me out of my misery / uncertainty.
Have I wasted my money on the old Luxeon I model or do I have the new Luxeon III (happiness)?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Boet

Last edited:

fineday

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire L1: Is my light a Luxeon III ? - please help!

Seems that it uses a Luxeon I because its max output is only 22 Lumens. I didn't see any details about its LED in the official website.

Luxeon I isn't too bad either, for 22 Lumens is enough for most situations, and a long run time.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

The latest model should have the round bidy as you have described. Three sided and a TIR optics on it. The 'L1 DIGITAL LUMAMAX' is in Capital letters of the same size. It comes with lanyard and spring clip and the clip that goes on the body.

My version bought in early January and has a serial of A211##. Yes it is rated at 22 lumens high and 1.1 lumens on low for 90hrs.

I have yet to change the original CR123 since 7th January 2007 and has edc the L1 about 95% of the time.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ohh ! Boet Welcome to CPF...................

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

All round-style heads are 3 watt LED's. They were just lazy about updating packaging.

boet

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replys, guys. Thanks Jumpstat for the welcome.

The TIR optic is the one that is not "clear" glass, right? It looks like it has a bubble / bulge in the lens?

Did any Luxeon I Surefire L1's come in the TIR optic?
Or only Luxeon III L1's came in the TIR optic?

Thank you.
Boet

boet

Newly Enlightened

The uncertainty of what I had (Luxeon I or Luxeon III) was driving me nuts.
I returned the light to the shop.
sigh.gif

Thanks to those who replied.
Boet

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sad to hear that. If the light was what you wanted, did it matter if it was a Lux I or III? Also, FWIW, if it had the optic, it had to be Lux III. If it had six flat sides above the clip it could have had either a one or a three watt emitter.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

sounds like you had the new version. some lights were built that had the new head and square bodys then they updated the bodys to all round.

sorry to here you took it back.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi boet,

Sad to hear that you returned the light. Was the light output not to our expectations? Although its rated at 22/1.1, it a very practical light and can be used on many scenarios except where high output is needed........

boet

Newly Enlightened

jumpstat: High output seemed fine for my purposes, but low ouput seemed extremely dim. The old spec was 0.65 lumens on low compared to the new spec of 1.1 lumens. Maybe I was seeing 0.65 on low? Do you remember what the specs said on the box when you purchased your L1? Do you remember the date printed on your Operator's Manual that came with your light?

Something that I should have mentioned is the date of the Operator's Manual packed in the box I bought - the manual was dated 2003 (and had a drawing of the old hexagonal head). The manual listed the light as 1 watt.

On surefire.com, the currrent manual is dated Revision B 8-1-2005 and still lists the light as 1 watt (although we know the specs in this manual are now outdated).

Therefore, with a 2 years difference in the dates of the manuals, I am convinced (I think :) ) that the light I bought was a 1 watt. And put that together with the info printed on the box (see first post).
Even though it had the TIR head........

Valpo Hawkeye: yes, darn it, I want the Lux III :) Especially as the shop was selling the light at the current price and did not reduce the price to reflect the "old stock".

Well, goes to show how important packaging and naming of product is important so as to avoid confusion.

Finally, does anyone know for a fact that the TIR optic only came with LuxIII?
Or did the TIR optic also come in LuxI?

It was only due to reading candlepowerforums that I even knew / thought to query the specs and age of the light I bought.:goodjob: Saved me some serious money (oh, it was the last SF L1 they had).

I will now wait for the new Surefire L1 Cree. (edit -added Surefire)

Thank you for listening.
Boet

Last edited:

alantch

Enlightened

I will now wait for the new L1 Cree.

Boet, why wait? Give Milkyspit a shout and I'm sure you'll get your Cree L1 in no time flat!

boet

Newly Enlightened

alantch: I am talking about the new Surefire L1 Lumamax with Cree?...........

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's very little difference between Lux I and III's except the Lux III's have slightly lower thermal resistance which makes them suitable for running at higher currents. In an L1, you would not know (nor should you care about) the difference.

If you want higher output, put an SSC-P4 in there and you'll up the output some 30% and keep runtime the same.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

boet said:
Finally, does anyone know for a fact that the TIR optic only came with LuxIII?
Or did the TIR optic also come in LuxI?
Boet

Hi Boet, I know what you mean, when you drop some serious dough on a light you expect exactly what you want. However, to answer your question, yes, every TIR version comes with a 3-watt. There are NO TIR L1's with 1-watt emitters.

I hope the new L1 Cree fits your needs. My ML1 is essentially what the new L1 will be, and I like it a lot. Very usable low beam with a super-bright high beam.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Therefore, with a 2 years difference in the dates of the manuals, I am convinced (I think :) ) that the light I bought was a 1 watt. And put that together with the info printed on the box (see first post).
Even though it had the TIR head........

No, what was happening was that Surefire was using up copies of the instructions from the earlier lights. If yours had the optic rather than a plain windows on the bezel, it was a 3 watt LED...

boet

Newly Enlightened
After much searching of this board and other reading, I have concluded that the Surefire L1 I wish to purchase is specified as follows:

"The L1 LumaMax features a new single-die 3 watt Luxeon LED driven at 1 watt while the L2 LumaMax employs a four-die 5 watt Luxeon LED. The L1's light output is 0.7 lumens at low (50 hours) and 15 lumens at high (2 hours) and the L2's output is 15 lumens at low (18 hours) and 100 lumens at high (1 hour). The L1 is available in white, red, blue and green."

The above info was kindly provided by another board member, and comes from the 2005 catalogue.
Therefore it appears (to me) that not all L1's with TIR optic were created equal. (The current model is 1.1 lumens low @ 90 hours and 22 lumens high).

To the folks who are familiar with the L1: would you buy it with the older specs as quoted above at full retail price given all the other products / choices available? (As i've previously stated, this is the only L1 available to me in my area - no other stock on hand).

That is my final question on this !!!
Thank you to all those who have taken the time to help me.
I really appreciate it :) .
Boet