Newby flashlight purchase+500$ to spend

golddot

Newly Enlightened
Greetings, I came over from assaultweb and Sigforum. i have around a 1100 post on AW and @ 500 on SigForum...I like surfing and posting !

My question is this..I currently own a SF nitrolon, 6p an Ultrastinger. I use all three at work. The stinger, while only a bit short of 3yrs old, has gone back for repairs 3x. The shipping now has just about added up to the cost of a new light. I am not having much luck w/their CS (no knocking them) but i am ready to upgrade.

I am trying to find a light that has a "normal" flashlight style body (i.e. maglite, or M4 length), has to be 12v Rechargeable (w/a cradle style charger pref.). After reading ALL 20+ pages on the 500 lumen scorpion and a little searching , it doesnt seem to be 100% yet. i know that throw and lumens are most important to me.

I have @ 500$ and i want something reliable, so far it is a 10x or maybe a borealis. i just wish the borealis did not have to remove the cradle to charge.

the light will be used for spotting people and critters in open fields and run time for me is usually 1-3 minutes total at a time.

i forgot to add. I have not had the best experiences w/ LED's. there color seems to distort the natural colors for me (i have a slight vison problem from the Marines). Although i did read about the Wiselled , i think, 1050 lumens ! What is the throw to this compared to me Ultrastinger?

My light usually only gets used for 30 mins at a time max. usually more like 1-5 total at a time. but i need one that recharges easliy in my car.

I will say the SF's CS has been superb for me over the years and i would like a product that has good cs.

any suggestions?

thanks, and im glad to be here !

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know it is not cpf-like to say it, but... dont spend 500 on a light... seriousely, not when there are reliable lights like the g&p scorpion.... it is a really nice light, good build quality, and the bulb life (on mine at least) seems pretty good. I bought mine from waion for $90.

look at this review:

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_scorpion_r500.htm

besafe2

Enlightened
cheapo said:
i know it is not cpf-like to say it, but... dont spend 500 on a light... seriousely, not when there are reliable lights like the g&p scorpion.... it is a really nice light, good build quality, and the bulb life (on mine at least) seems pretty good. I bought mine from waion for $90.

look at this review:

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_scorpion_r500.htm

What he said

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a Torch!!

Mac has them available from time to time here

That leaves 200 Dollars to buy a charger and maybe a extra Battery pack.

It doesent have a charging cradle,but who cares it puts out 4000 Lumens for 10 minutes or so.

Leaving it on is not recommended,LOL.

More info and Beam Shots here:

Benny

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
65535 said:
I would recommend a U2 and just buy a stock of 17670's cells for rechargable use.

that suggestion fits none of the poster's requirements :huh2:

anyways, Mac's Torch and Mad Maxabeams lights will fit your requirements. Borealis seems a bit overpriced (3x the price of mad max's lights) but I hear customer service is excellent.

also, GandP scorpion is kind of neat with the charger plugging directly into the light. Its not quite 500 lumens though I hear.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or just buy a MagCharger and upgrade it to Mag 85.

Im sure there are plenty of people willing to point you in the right direction making one or even make you one for a small fee.

Benny

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest any of the high power Mag Mods (Mag85, ROP, Torch).

The "Borealis" is just a nice quality Mag85 which is sold for an extremely high price to people on other boards who don't know what they are buying. You notice that the person who sells them on all the other sites doesn't even bother trying to market them to CPFer's. While it is a very nice and INSANELY bright light it normally sells for around $125-150 or so.

Check the mod buy sell trade forum, you're bound to find one sooner or later.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
FM`s latest creation is really sweet too.

1450 Lumens :D

All you need is listed in the thread here.
And to sweeten the deal even more he has some Ha-Nat units left.

Price aint to shabby either.

Benny

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how fast you want to 'spot' things or whether you are doing more of a scan, but if you don't need instant reaction, a HID with a lower color temp bulb will be ideal for super output and range.

If not for your requirement for 'flashlight shape', I would recommend the Amondotech Illuminator 3152... 35w HID, lotsa light, nice daylight color temp.

Otherwise, you can consider the Wolf-eyes Boxer, Microfire K2000R or AE Powerlight... not sure if they have lower color temp bulbs, but if they do, go for those. Total cost should be about $300 and most HIDs can be charged via 12v (car). Only 'problem' is the 10-20 sec startup time to full brightness and inability to 'flash' the light.

golddot

Newly Enlightened
i need an instant on, due to my job, it is required. is there a link to a -reputable-seller of the mag 85 or borealis equivelant? my main thing is i like a fullsize flashlight. i keep a surefire nitrolon on my belt so if i need a handy one its, there.

i read somones signature that said "i like big lights and i can not lie " a.k.a. sir mix a lot LOL--'bout sums it up for me !

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you a LEO? How about the Tigerlight - everything for a LEO to like - rechargeable - very bright - large as a Mag 3D roughly I believe and if you want they've got the version with built in Pepper Spray. And I believe they've got a new model coming out with faster charging and more light : http://www.tigerlight.net/

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW the Tigerlight has the same throw as a Surefire 10x and Ultrastinger +or- 2% but has about 2½ times the overall light that the UltraStinger has based on info at Flashlightreviews.com.

Glen C

Enlightened
Golddot, I am sure you will get lots of suggestions. I would second a modified mag or for a mainstream workhorse, the Wolf Eyes M90X 13V with Lumens Factory 700 lumens lamp and a spare set of batteries. Under $200 and reliable.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the Sure Fire Titan, if I had $500 to spend!

golddot

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info shaman..i dont think my dept. would authorize that light as we have set OC we use. I googled the SF titan..no luck ...a link?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
golddot said:
thanks for the info shaman..i dont think my dept. would authorize that light as we have set OC we use. I googled the SF titan..no luck ...a link?

He's just saying with a spare $500, he'd probably get a Titan for himself. I don't think it's the right light for you; it's expensive because it's titanium and limited edition, but its not a monster light for spotting.... :D