Help upgrading from luxeonIII LEDs

rideandshoot

Newly Enlightened
I have a Cateye Triple Shot light that I use for night mountain biking. The documentation when I purchased it said that it has Luxeon III LEDs. I am wondering if there is an upgrade that would be fairly easy to install. Here is a picture of the inside of the light.

100_3535.jpg

Timson

Enlightened
Output can be increased by putting in higher flux LuxIII's or by increasing the drive current.

Don't know what the stock drive level for a triple shot is....
Unless those Lux's are stars - and you're prepared to pull one out - you won't know the flux level and won't know if it's worth buying upgrades ....They may be U bins already ...but I'd guess theyre probably T's.

Cree emitters probably won't work with the triple shot's optics.

SSC P4's might though !!

Could be worth a try...But it takes some nerve and commitment to pull apart a light of this price.

Tim.

Illum

Flashaholic
from what it looks like, the center black [presumbly metal] bar is holding three luxeon III stars, if thats the case, then simply unsolder the black wires leading to it to swap out the star if you want.

as for brightness, I agree with Timson, maybe post a pic of the driver unit to give us a better idea...I dont really know this company:ohgeez:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
For goodness sake, put some SSC-P4 U-bins in there promptly!